Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Win 94 vs Marlin 336 ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    No more like Model A Ford, and 69 Camero Chevy.

He siad, Yours sure shoots further, and has a smaller group. I think Ill get one for hunting.
    Model A vs '69 Camaro, I ve had both, and it's still a tough choice.

One doesn't shoot farther than the other, or more accurate than the other, do the load development right, and either will shoot as good as the other. But for the nut behind the gun................well that's another story.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Master

1SHIRT
    My goal is to have at least 2 of each length that I already have but I have limits on what I am willing to pay which makes it more interesting in the search as I do want a certain level of quality also.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Grand Master
    I like the idea of the longer barrel on the Win but far prefer the ease of stripping and cleaning the Marlin. I've also found the microgoroove to be no big deal in getting my 336 to shoot well. Took a bit of time to find out what it really likes but now that i know- it just works.

I suppose buying both is not an option?

Boolit Buddy James C. Snodgrass's Avatar
    You mean that some one besides Winchester builds or built a rifle ?????????? I don't think you can go wrong with either but I don't have a marlin right now but will in the future . James

Boolit Mold

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Trailblazer View Post
    For iron sight use I would get the longest barrel I could find. I shoot much better with a 24" barrel than I do with a 20" barrel. If you have young eyes maybe it doesn't matter.
    All of my levers have tang or peep sights on them. They range from marlin 94 in32-20 to 1894 in 47-70. The 444 is the only one that has ever caused me to flinch. I have a 336 30-30 without scope mount holes. Also both Win 94 Classic 30-30 and a 92 in 25-20. I also like the 1890 22 short.
    Except for the 22 all are tack drivers with the right loads of cast boolets.
    I have built a couple of "Cowboy" guns and like the Marlins because they don't through the boolet out the top when you lever them fast like the Wins do.

Boolit Master

haven't gone the peep sight route yet as I can see to shoot about 200 yards which is a good range for most levers anyways.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Buddy
    DaveB,

I have 30 .30-30s. One of which is a Marlin 336. And while that makes me a Winchester fan, I have nothing against the Marlins, just found Winchesters in more interesting configurations and cheaper. Maybe there's a reason for that.

But, more to the point, for the past 25 years I've been cowboy action shooting... and one of my favorite events is the long range levergun side event. Ranges vary depending on the physical location of the match, but can be anywhere from 100 to about 350 yards. One of the most popular rifles are the Commemorative Winchester 94s. They have a good reputation as good shooters... maybe not target quality... but... certainly capable in the right hands.

A tang sight will require replacing the stock screw and drill & tapping another behind the hammer for the installation. I have several Mdl 94s with tang sights... And have no issues.

As for potential accuracy, the specifics of the individual gun has a greater influence over the capabilities rather than some inherent design element that makes one model better than the other. Whether ballard rifled or micro-groove, with the proper load development and "accurizing" either the Winchester or the Marlin could become your next best shooter. However, the Winchester, with the addition of a tang peep, has a tremendous advantage over the Marlin with the much longer sight radius with that 26" barrel.

I have a 26" Winchester .30-30 with a heavy octagon barrel that has fired a ¾" group @ 100 yards on a few ocassions, (lately running around an inch, older eyes and all), and has fired a 6" group @ 400 yards during a match. Any long distances I shot with it have all been on steel. The longest I've attempted has been 500 meters on rams. Not real successful, but I generally only shoot 150 grain GCFPs. I don't expect them to do all that well at that distance. But, an intermittent hit is still satisfying.

Good luck with your new rifle.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Buddy

I have two Winchester 66 centennials I have had since new, would any of you shoot them?
    Clyde
    COL USA RET

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    I like winchesters because that was what was available when I was a kid getting my first centerfire and lever.

My oldest son had a marlin and he broke the firing pin I don't know how many times in the rifle. My winchesters have never done that to me yet, but you never know when it could or will happen.

But in the choice of a 336 or 94 both with short barrels, flip a coin and you will most likely never be dissatisfied.
    I will agree with these three points, always lusted after a 94 as that was what was on the shelves. Marlins were probably around, but I can honestly say I never saw one until the late 70s (I was around 30 at that time). My first introduction to the Marlin was when I walked into the gun shop (soon to become a second home to me) and the owner, his son and a guy who used to work part time were giving a big detective in a suit a bake cause he broke the firing pin on his Marlin. It was a 45/70 and he used to come into the shop every day at lunch time and take it down and shoot imaginary bad guys/pigs or whatever off the back wall of the shop. This went on for a few months while he had it on lay buy/ lay away I think you guys call it and it quit a few months after he finally paid it off. I have heard of several others over the years, but I have never heard of a Winchester having any problems whatsover.

Having said that hasn't predjucied me against Marlins, I just don't dry fire them much. To prove I'm an impartial witness I currently have six Marlins and two Winchesters. I suppose if the Winchesters were available freely in a bigger range od calibres, I would own more of them.

The shop owner and his son and employee became best friends, his son and worker were the witnesses at my first marriage, but the cop ended up stiffing me for a 405Gn RCBS mould, a set of handles, sizer die and a Lyman Cast Bullet Book. It seems he was protecing and serving his own interests. The other three guys are still valued friends, 30 years later.

Like the man said. either way, you'll be happy.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Banned

chev man through and through and a ford would never be in my driveway but i couldnt imagine a safe that didnt have both marlins and winchesters in it!!

I have 2 Winchesters and 3 Marlins. A Winchester Classic and a Lonetar. It doesn't get fired. Marlins are 336 in 30-30, 1894 CB in 45 LC, 1895 CB in 45/70. I don't really have a preference on the 30-30's.

Banned
    Here's how I see the two. I favor the Winchesters. What I don't like about the Marlins are they are heavier, not as flat profile as the Winchesters, they have those bulbous forearms and fat stocks, and I feel Micro-Groove is just a gimmick. Marlin sure hasn't proven anything in my book going to it. Their 22's aren't anymore accurate then anyone else's with regular rifling, in fact they are just average. Now Marlin does good machine work on their rifles and they are easier to mount a scope on. Mounting that scope and side ejection, I feel, are the only things Marlin thinks they have going them. I don't care for their firing pin setup, which has been known for problems. The fact the Marlin doesn't have an open top receiver doesn't make it any stronger then the Winchester. From scouring the internet I find that Winnie is the stronger of the two.
    I own one Marlin, a 45 Colt Cowboy. When I was young and started hunting deer my brother had a 336 Marlin. I could have taken it hunting as I didn't own a rifle. Instead I borrowed my cousin's Model 94 Winchester. It was lighter and handier and with young eyes I didn't need a scope in those thick Pa wood.

Maybe it all boils down to whether you like a Chevy or a Ford.

Joe

Boolit Mold

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 76 WARLOCK View Post
    I have two Winchester 66 centennials I have had since new, would any of you shoot them?
    Put them in their original boxes in a nice closet somewhere safe then go find you a 94 Classic and shoot that.

I notice that in my last post I made several mistypes. I can only put them to my lack of typing skill. I hit things with one rifle better than these keys with two fingers.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Plinker View Post
    Put them in their original boxes in a nice closet somewhere safe then go find you a 94 Classic and shoot that.

I notice that in my last post I made several mistypes. I can only put them to my lack of typing skill. I hit things with one rifle better than these keys with two fingers.
    If yer not shooting them, they are a pretty sad investment. Unless you like looking at them, I'd sell them and put the money in the bank. Commemorative Winchesters are nice guns as a rule, but would have to be one of the worst investments anyone could make, Value wise they are worth a fraction of what they cost new.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master

Sharpshooter3040.

You need to try larger diameter boolits. Most folks have had poor results in microgroove
    bbls with 'std' diameters and good or very good results from a few thousandths larger
    diameter.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Both Winchester and Marlin make fine rifles. Lining up the pros and cons will not work because it is to scientific. My way to make this kind of decision, and it has never failed me, is to look at both of them and take the one that just looks best to you. It may sound crazy but pride of ownership is important and a good looking rifle is nice to have.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    There's only one thing to do. Hold out for a model '93 Marlin. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...=138190760#PIC

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K View Post
    One doesn't shoot farther than the other, or more accurate than the otherJon
    He was using 32 Speical 170gr flat nose, I was using 30-30 Lever Evo.

He was correct, I just out classed his 20 year old ammo

Ill be getting a Winnie 94 in 30-30 next gun show.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    No more like Model A Ford, and 69 Camero Chevy.

The Winnies cant compare with the Marlins. Thats why they are out of business.

The Winnie design is from 1894, the Marlin 1949.

I have a Marlin, my bud has all Winnies. He is a third generation Winchester man.

Just yesterday, we went out and compared.

At the end this is what we decided.

I said, yours sure is faster to operate, I think Ill get one for fun.

He siad, Yours sure shoots further, and has a smaller group. I think Ill get one for hunting.

Let him shoot your rifle, I'll bet he shoots lousy groups with it too.
    Winchester isn't out of business. Marlin never a made a centerfire bolt action worth poop either. The pre 64 (which is still being made) is a classic bolt rifle and you know it. Most of what Marlin ever made were lever actions and 22 rimfires. Winchester made just about every kind of firearm. They make ammunition too. So that settles it, Winchester is better then Marlin.

Joe

Super Moderator

.............I believe it's details between the 2 more then anything else. Not just Ford or Chevy but more in how useable are the cupholders in the 2 Right up front I'll say I'm biased. I've owned 2 Marlin 1893's and only one M1894 Win. The Winchester wouldn't shoot anything worth a Tinkers Dam. Both Marlins were as willing as little fat puppies to shoot ANYTHING I cared to feed them.

That is nothing to be conclusive about, and I also have to add that after the 1893, and the 1936 Marlin quit making attractive lever actions. I do NOT care for the round bolt versions at all. They may be better in all respects, but to my eye the squarebolts are much the better looking action. And that fat wood? Crap is what it is, and what are they thinking? So as you can see, my personal likes and dislikes is based on my perception of attractiveness.

I'd rather have an older Win M94, especially in some nifty cartridge like the 32-40 or 38-55 then any brand new round bolt Marlin. My only real dislikes about the M94 is the rattely floorplate and lever, and the inability to easily clean from the breech. Hopefully it'd shoot!

The above has a shotgun butt, half octagon-half round 26" bbl with a half magazine and chambered in 38-55. The other M93 I had had been my G-Grandfathers but went to my brother. I had it for about 14 years and hoped he'd forgotten about it It was your standard ole Marlin 30-30. Cresent butt and a 26" tapered octagon barrel. As I said, both these rifles just fell all over themselves to shoot exceedingly well, cast OR jacketed.

I'm not personally interested in the least in owning a new Marlin round bolt lever gun. Save your bucks, and for probably not much more you can hunt up a good old one in fine shape like the link to the one jimkim copied. Now THAT would be a Marlin!

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance