Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ranch dog???

ranch dog???

i have heard and read about ranch dog boolit molds. i tried to find out about them just now via google. it looks like maybe he is going out of business??? the site that came up said ihat after 6-2009, it would be up to lee precision whether they were going to keep producing his molds. any idea what is going on??

Boolit Master

As I understand it ( and I am sure I don't know but a part of the story )
    A few of the reasons for him closing up

The year for delevery of his custom LEE moulds
    The LEE moulds not cut to spec that he had to send back
    All the $$ he had wraped up in moulds on order , that he expected to get in a few months and were taking close to a year

His wifes health problems

I am just a customer that will miss his quick service

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

well, THAT SUCKS! both the way lee treated him, and his wifes health troubles.

Boolit Master

Ranch Dog Molds........

I still have 1 RD mold (not for sale)

I too went through the 5-7 month wait with RD Molds; although it was worth the wait. Most customers were happy with their molds, although many had to go back to Lee for "adjustments".

I'll miss Michael Remy, aka "Ranch Dog"; a true conniseur, gentleman, and expert in the field of mold development. He was always quick to answer every stupid question I ever asked of him. I admire his dedication to his wife and family.

HiVelocity in SC

PS- Post "I Want To Buy" your needs on every casting board. These folks are great for buying, selling, and trading............and LOANING!

Boolit Grand Master

Just a food for thought question, but why don't a whoop of us start e-mailing Lee to produce RD molds as regular production items? I would really like to see at least the 30 cal and 35 cals in reqular production. The 30 shoots real well in all of my 30s, and drops from the mold at 314 so it shoots in my Mosin and Smelly as well. The 35 is the cats whatever for 357 and would suspect for 35 rem, but don't have a 35 Rem, for hunting. Anyway, would be interesting to see how many would pick up on the suggestion. Yep, Michael will be missed! A good guy!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Bub
    I believe Michael is still aound, just not in the mold business.

1Shirt Lee has all of the designs and informed Ranch Dog they would produce them but who knows when. They are so far behind now that to make a new mold for a nitch market seems like it may never come about. But who knows maybe in our life time lol.

Ranch Dog Michael was great to deal with and very informative. He is now very busy with the ranch as well as care for his wife and family. But as he said now he will have more time for load development. So I feel he will be back it will just take him some time is all.

And as others have said it is hard to have any kind of business when you can not get a product to sell. And when you do get them have to turn around and return them for not being right.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master

You know Ranch Dog gave me one of his .35 molds when he decided to go out of business. I'll have to say, it is one hell of a boolit! It shoots minute of pop can out of my 65 smith, and from what I estimate will take down most critters that come too close. A 190g with a .256 meplat is a devastating thing at 1200 fps.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    You know Ranch Dog gave me one of his .35 molds when he decided to go out of business. I'll have to say, it is one hell of a boolit! It shoots minute of pop can out of my 65 smith, and from what I estimate will take down most critters that come too close. A 190g with a .256 meplat is a devastating thing at 1200 fps.
    Even more so at 1650 fps. Here's through and through of a 13 1/2" diameter log section.

Boolit Master
    Even more so at 1650 fps. Here's through and through of a 13 1/2" diameter log section.
    Good grief.....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post

Yeah, but I'm not gonna load it that hot for a hand cannon... If I had a .357 rifle, it'd be one thing...

Btw, Junior. Do you have any data for loading the RD359-190-RF for .38spl +P???
    Last edited by jdgabbard; 08-16-2009 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Asking question...

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

You can shoot the same load out of a Pistol but you will not have the same FPS. There really should be no problem shooting it from a Pistol if it is a Ruger or a good strong revolver.

I will shoot a load that is harder in my Ruger than I am able to from my Marlin. But then again I am backwards at times lol.

And that load would be the Lee 310Gr with 21.0Gr of H-110 with a LPP WW Brass. But from the Pistol I may use 21.5Gr of the same powder. .44 MAG

The Pistol is a Ruger Superblackhawk Bisley Hunter Stainless in .44 Mag and I LIKE IT lol. And yes it does THUMP a bit lol. But in this day and age it is just a little .44 Mag lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master

Mine is a S&W 65... I doubt it would hold at the threads...

Ok you are correct I tend not to put too hot of rounds through any Smith I have. Some say oh it is fine but that is what the RUGER Tank is for lol.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    Some say oh it is fine but that is what the RUGER Tank is for lol.
    That is why I have a SP101

Boolit Master
    I would not be too quick to blame Lee. The panic demand of the last year has been beyond anyone's control. They can only make so many moulds, and adding new employees leads to quality problems. Those are just facts of life.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

well, IMO, if lee agreed to make molds for a person, contract or not, they shouls stand up to their agreement. if they can not produce molds of their own fast enough, at least fill their own orders, and their contract orders at the same percentage rate (at least be close). to just shove somebody else out of business isn't really right, in anyones eyes. since they have basicly done that, i would sincerly hope that they would at least buy out ranch dogs ideas, and make them a part of their normal line up. i recently bought 2 of lee's "surplus" molds, i have to wonder if at least one of them is not a ranch dog type. the 2 i bought were c tl 309-160-2r, and a tl c-460-350-rf. the latter of the two shoots awesome! the first one, leaves a lot of lead in my glenfiels 30a (bacicly, a marlin 336), it has a micro-groove barrel, so to be honest, i had my doubts about this. i need to load it up and shoot it through my rem 700 and see how it works there before i pass judgement on it.

Boolit Grand Master

Junior, presume this is out of your Rossi Hog Rifle? If so, would you mind sharing your load, and the approximate hardness of your blt.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

lee/ ranch

apparently many are not aware of how lee makes his molds.its not just stick it in and go and you cant hire more help whith out having the machines to work on.
    and mister thems machines are expensive were not talking of a 10/20,000 mavhine but a 100,000 or more machine.and you cant go from one to next mold except the same style.one of lees single stage is 150 a day and they are 2000 behind.every one is so impatiant,why did you not start reloading a few yrs ago.
    because you did not need to.now you all want instant gratification.and cant get it.
    what do you think would happen if you all wanted redding presses.none of you would get them.
    PS: please relax it will level out in time.and you will be able to pick up presses and molds for a dime a dozen.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Grand Master

This is the latest (last?) entry on Ranch dog's site. I've got one of his molds (.432" 265gr.) and I shoot them in my SBH, Contender, and Puma (the reason I got the mold originally was the Puma has a .432" bore). I wish I could get more molds, and I think Ranch Dog gave Lee permission to cut molds to his design.

"Well guys, I'm just about finished up and I'm looking forward to getting back to casting, reloading, shooting and hunting! Please note the follow when ordering:

• All my designs where specifically created for the throat/lead of Marlin rifles. I cannot answer your questions about other applications.
    • My inventory consists of only the molds and kits specified on the home page. I will be receiving no more.
    • Yes, the TLC379-235-RF must be purchased with the Lube and Size Kit. I've tried to accommodate you with the pricing on this package.
    • Due to the limited inventory, I'm no longer accepting snail mail orders. The mold you desire may not be available when your order arrives. You do not need a PayPal account to order, use your credit card.
    • All sales will cease on June 30, 2009.

• My forum is out of service. I just can't get a break to maintain it. My web host lost several servers and my material was lost as the backup was on one of the other servers. At this point, I'm not sure what I will do to start up again. I might switch to a different format of support but will get something back up soon. All my web pages are gone but I have the backed up material to restore them. It just takes time.

Fellows, this venture has been a blessing in the friendships it has given me through you, my customers! I appreciate the encouragement you have offered in the course of business through your purchases.

May God bless you and your family!

Ranch Dog
    Ranch Dog Molds News "