MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: fully rifled bbl slug options

fully rifled bbl slug options

In a trade I ended up with a 12ga Maverick pump with a Mossberg fully rifled ported bbl with the factory cantilevered scope and mount.
    My local gun dealer said I can only shoot sabot loads and he gets $16.00 for a box of 5. $3.20 ever time I pull the trigger is pretty expensive.
    Do I have any alternatives in casting my owe and using some kind of sabot wad?
    Not sure whats out there. This is my first shotgun.

Your best bet, for a cheap and affective loads, is to get the Lyman 525gr. Over-Grown Air Gun Pellet Slug mold. It's a slug that fits inside a standard shot wad and will work great in your gun. I personally prefer full bore slugs - especially solids but that mold is about the best of the best for an "off the shelf" non-custom slug mold. Here is a link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=778041

In addition gardnerscache.com and myself sell these slugs ready cast if you don’t want to cast your own or want to try a few before you buy your own mold.

I have a 500 mossberg 12 guage with a rifled barrel. I shot the cheap Brenneke Rotwiels slugs. None of us could figure out how a rifled slug for smooth barrels would shoot so well down a rifled shotgun barrel. I got three or four inch groups out of it. I say give them a try- they aren't very expensive and did they work for me!

I miss hunting in MN so much. The group is all gone. My Dad is 82 he hunts out of a stand we drop him at, no more walking for three or four hours at a time. The drop-dead gorgeous babe we hunted with got married last fall. Man could she work. When the tightfisted bigbellies still in Vietnam would puff and stagger around talking she'd walk through every patch of grass or cattail she could find. Her Dad moved to Texas. Oh, woe is me. I KNEW I had it good.

TED

Boolit Master in Heavens Range.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo1889 View Post
    Your best bet, for a cheap and affective loads, is to get the Lyman 525gr. Over-Grown Air Gun Pellet Slug mold. It's a slug that fits inside a standard shot wad and will work great in your gun. I personally prefer full bore slugs - especially solids but that mold is about the best of the best for an "off the shelf" non-custom slug mold. Here is a link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=778041

In addition gardnerscache.com and myself sell these slugs ready cast if you don’t want to cast your own or want to try a few before you buy your own mold.
    +1, I cast my own out of range scrap. Load in an AA shell w/ a red wad ahead of 45G B-Dot and it shoots like a rifle in my H&R Ultra.

Boolit Grand Master

Has anyone tried the Rapine 730550 in a rifled barrel?

I have shot a few in my smoothbore and they did very well.

They are a full bore slug and with lube grooves. I like the design better than most typical Foster styles.

I am leaning towards the full bore slugs but don't have a rifled barrel.

Just curious.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Turbo, where do you get "full bore slugs"? I've been using both the Lyman and Lee slugs. They're both pretty good, but not great out to 50yds. I like using them for 3 shot rapid fire practice at 25-50 yds as a cheap (VERY cheap) alternative to sabot slugs. I can usually get about 4" groups at 50yds, (3" sometimes) good enough for practice but would like to try to improve this. So where did you get a mold for the full bores. I shoot a Rem 870 rifled bbl and like it a lot.

Banned

your dealer sounds like he wants you to only buy his over priced slugs from him.

I don't believe he is right it that you can only shoot saboted rounds in it.

I'd try pretty much everything and see what it does like. I'd start with the cheap ones first, or look at trying the lyman sabot slug mould.

Boolit Buddy
    I purchased some full bore hard cast slugs from Dixie slugs. The owner posts here occasionally.

www.dixieslugs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Has anyone tried the Rapine 730550 in a rifled barrel? . . .
    The Rapine 730550 was my old slug mold that eventually wore out (Aluminum molds suck for longevity with me - I don't baby them like I should) and was replaced by me two new slug molds I had custom cut by Brook's Moulds. Mine however was modified shortly after purchase. Namely two replacement core pins were cut. One of which mad a blockier and less rounded hollow base with a thicker skirt and the other one allowed the mold to cast a completely solid slug with only a slight dimple in the base. The HB ones were fired out of both smooth and rifled bores the solid ones were fired from rifled bores only. Accuracy was consistently as good or better then Lyman 525 slug mold loads and consistently better then Lee slug mold loads. The key word is consistently, as in the Lyman 525 slug mold loads could produce some really nice tight groups at 100 yards from a rifled barrel as well as the swaged shuttle cock slugs from NwCP but any kind of sabot or wad-slug I have tested so far to date will always have an occasional flier that is not the shooters fault. Granted with the right load and components these fliers can be minimized but in my experience, at least so far, never completely eliminated. I believe this is due to occasional sabot/wad failures and inconsistencies. Full bore slugs are immune from this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by big boar View Post
    Turbo, where do you get "full bore slugs"? . . .
    Rapine makes two different full bore molds for 12ga. shotgun slugs - I would recommend them to anyone who intends to cast a hundred slugs or so every now and again and isn't shy of aluminum molds and is willing to baby them. For others who cast significantly more quantity and/or aren’t so keen on aluminum as a mold material then you will need to have a custom slug mold cut in an iron/brass/steel block by a custom mold cutter.

Boolit Grand Master

turbo:

I'm with you on the iron blocks. I am not too partial to aluminum myself.

I have a few more 730550's to test and I am modifying my finned slug mould for some more testing. I am thinking though that the finned slug is not going to perform so the mould will likely become a ribbed hollow base mould ~ maybe with attached wad Brenneke style.

Got to get out and do more shooting!

Longbow