Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smelting question

smelting question

i just bought a turkey cooker to smelt with, and i still have to find something decent to "cook" in. my question is when using a big pot, how are you guys filling your ingot molds? are you tipping the pot somehow, or using a BIG ladel?

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range 257 Shooter's Avatar
    I use a ladle. You can get one from one of our sponsors Rotometals.
    In God WE Trust!
    NRA Life Member
    "I'll keep my guns, my money and my freedom, you can keep the change!"

Boolit Master
    I use a large ladle. Tipping the pot is a bad idea unless you have a pot and burner arrangement designed to operate that way. A large pot with a load of molten lead on a turkey burner can shift it's weight on you rather quickly and it's easy to lose control. Bad things follow.

In Remembrance

Ladle only!!! If you try to tip the lead melting pot you might wind up wearing lead sneakers! You can find heavy duty ladles at cooking stores or I found mine at an auction for a restaurant supply store. Beware of the wally mart type ladles, made cheeeeeepo and can melt or fall apart at the worst time. In a worst case scenario use a small vegetable can and a pair of vise-grip pliars as a dipper.Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    I use a large ladle. Tipping the pot is a bad idea unless you have a pot and burner arrangement designed to operate that way. A large pot with a load of molten lead on a turkey burner can shift it's weight on you rather quickly and it's easy to lose control. Bad things follow.
    DON'T tip the pot.

It is heavier than you think! it is also full of molten liquid that will shift balance points as it is moved. Unless it is anchored at strong pivot mounts, DON'T do it.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

When I smelt......

I leave the lead in the cast iron pan to cool and then flip it over.
    This leaves me with a pan sized ingot to work with. I'm just a small time operator in a even smaller bullet casting operation.........

Boolit Master
    I melt down 60-90 lbs of lead in a dutch oven. Ladle out all but the last two or three pounds.

I have a set of mittens that are designed for bronze casters to use when handling the hot molds, which are 1400°-1500°. I put those one and pour the last two-three lbs into ingot molds.

Never handle a pot with more than a couple pounds of lead, with very deep sides. The ability to slop or spill is too high.

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    I use a SS ladle till the last pound or two. It's a real nice ladle (holds better than 2 lbs.) from Walgreens with an insulated handle that was on sale for $4.99. I love it.
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

Boolit Master

'Something to cook in' could be a dutch oven (like I use), or maybe a stainless pot from HF for $20. I can do about 60-70 lbs of WW's in my rig, and use a big ladle to fill the ingot molds. A friend who taught me a LOT used a tin soup can with a pair of vise-grips for a handle, in place of a ladle. Worked for him - lighter than a ladle.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

SS ladle, I think 4oz, about 1# worth of lead. You can get them @ any rest. supply cheap in diff. sizes. I leave the last 2# or so to help my next melt go faster.

Boolit Master

What fredj338 said. Been using an old SS ladle from my wife for 20+ years to fill the ingot molds.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

I just go to the dollar store and get me a soup ladle and one of those big strainer spoon's.
    The strainer spoon get's the clip's out and 2 1/2 soup ladle's fill's my LEE ingot mold's nicely.

+1 on the stainless ladles i got mine from kmart qnd some small loaf pans for ingots ladle gets about 2 pounds worth and the small loaves weigh about 10 pounds. cst iron pots seem to work the best I have a frying pan that will hold forty+ pounds

Boolit Buddy

I made the bottom pour smelter out of a dollar store stock pot from the sticky in the "casting equipment" section of this forum. I set it on a turkey frier, and bottom pour so there is no crap in the ingots. I don't know if the sticky is still there, but it cost almost nothing to build.

Boolit Master
    In addition to being heavy, that pot is ALOT HOTTER THAN YOU THINK.

the first time i smelted, i picked up my pot to pour out the last ingot i couldn't get with the ladle....AND GOT BURNT BEFORE I COULD POUR EVEN ONE INGOT.

i was wearing single layer leather gloves, admittedly cheeper ones.

i won't be trying that again
    NRA life member

LB

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    I melt in a stainless 12-qt stock pot on a turkey fryer burner and dip with a stainless-steel soup ladle with a wood handle I got at the Goodwill for fifty cents. My ingot molds are 4" tart pans 6 for $5, makes a roughly 4# hockey-puck ingot. 3 ladles fills 1 tart pan about. The last 4-5 pounds I pour out of the pot because the ladle won't dip it out.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Master
    I use a ladle. It's just easier and safer.

OK, it looks like ladel dipping is definitly the way to go! now, anybody have an idea how big of a ladel is needed to make a one pound ingot without double or triple diping? two cups? i dont know how they sell ladels, if it is measured in ounces, cups, etc.?

Boolit Master
    I think Midway sells them for casters. Just be sure whatever you get has a handle that cannot break or bend. If you can bend it with your hands go find a different one.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    xwrench3: I think even a 1 cup ladle will easily fill a 1 lb ingot mold. My ladle looks like it holds about one of those heavy white coffee cups used in truck stops, and that will fill 2 ingots+. You could just "eyeball" it.
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast