RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: Pretty good casting article

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Pretty good casting article

Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    A good read, though I noticed the author recommended using an aluminum saucepan, which has been mentioned here as an unsafe practice. Thanks
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

In Remembrance

Obviously a novice caster. I would think a thermometer is much more important than a respirator, but if you are going to set a pot of lead on a burner and leave it on high even when the lead level drops, maybe you need a respirator. The piece is dated as to prices, although his estimates are low even some time ago, and acquiring wheel weights for free. Listed in the safety warnings should be a warning against wearing synthetic clothing. Not a bad read, but very basic.
    OK, I reread the article and had missed the disclaimer about being unlearned in the art of casting. Maybe I'm too critical today, but "small amounts of impurities are unimportant"? And he has no idea what fluxing really does. I'm spoiled to the good advice given on this site. I see no place to respond to his writing and hope he never experiences a pot failure as he lifts the pot to pour his ingots.
    Last edited by DLCTEX; 08-17-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: reread article

It was a good read.

Boolit Buddy

FWIW: Personally, I would him at least a B+ if for nothing more than effort to spread the word.
    I'm sure we can all find different things to pick at with the article, but darn few of us can find a lot of fault, outside of personal feelings, with the links he gave for more information.

Russ...
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

Super Moderator

..............There's some worthwhile info there (as elsewhere here on the board to name ONE place ), but he's also off track enough (aluminum melting pot?) to need editing if posted here. As Bill and Dale mentioned, the aluminum pot by itself could sure be a disaster for someone.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    First hand knowledge, when it comes to using an aluminum pot. DON'T DO IT !!! I found a big nice aluminum pot at a garage sale , I thought this will be great for making ingots. I used it on my fish cooker a couple of times and made hundreds of ingots. The third time I was making linotype ingots, second pot full, the bottom of the pot gave up !! Luckily I was down to the very bottom when I seen this silver stream running down my fish cooker! As I said I was down to the bottom and didn't lose much, from that point on cast iron pot only for me !!
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill* View Post
    A good read, though I noticed the author recommended using an aluminum saucepan, which has been mentioned here as an unsafe practice. Thanks
    I did that ONCE in 1971! I didn't do it twice.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Really good write up with the exception of using an aluminum pot for lead processing….that is just very bad stuff waiting to happen.