MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 45acp with 255gr boolit

Boolit Mold
    I have started a similar project with a LBT LFN. Veral Smith as a standard mold in his catalog, a 230 grain LFN for the 45 acp. I also have a second mold which is a 250 grain of the same design which was purchased on Veral's last sale but I have not loaded many of these at this time. The first mold casts at 239 with my alloy and I load these for a Smith 625 and USFA with 45 acp cylinder. These are seated to just cover the single crimp grove in acp case and are taper crimped so that they can not be push back into the case. I would like to try a WFN of 230 to 240 grains with a crimp grove and the auto rim case. The WFN would likely give a larger powder space. Thus far I have only use lighter loads of bullseye or 231 for velocities in the range of 750 fps. The difficulty I find is that loading data for cast bullets of 240 grains or more is very limited. I would like to know what some of the actual measured pressures are on the loads that exceed 850 fps. Straight wall pistol cases do not give high pressure signs like bottle neck rifle cases. Once high pressure sign show up I think safe pressure have been passed by a large margin.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith DVM View Post
    Straight wall pistol cases do not give high pressure signs like bottle neck rifle cases. Once high pressure sign show up I think safe pressure have been passed by a large margin.
    That is the risk that you run for sure. But it takes X amount of pressure to produce X amount of velocity.

But when you take Quickload and set up the data for all the originality for THAT gun using a chronograph making the actual velocity recorded jive with the predicted and the velocities and pressures are in line with stuff that is actually tested in reloading manuals, then I have more margin for error as I assume that the pressures that the computer predicts as you go on up will also be proportional as long as the chrono readings and computer agree on the velocity.

Where you get into trouble is if you are trying to do it with the faster for cartridge powders as pressure is more likely to spike at some point than the computer assumes will be a linear rise. So I counter that by staying with s l o w e r for cartridge powders and avoid powders that are known to have this characteristic even though they are the same burn rate, (like old WW630) such where that risk is minimized.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Mold
    I have only occasional access to a chronograph and have not ever use Quickload. I have only had several of new and older manuals to rely on. I find all these comment interesting and it is good thing to learn something new each day.

Boolit Master

Good thread
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

FNX 45 Tactical
    Yankee Hill 3 port comp
    24# Rowland RSA

Been working with heavy doses of 800x and Blue Dot
    Both are above regular book listings.

They feed well and hit like a F150

You just have to ask yourself how hard you want to push the cartridge. 900 FPS will take just about anything North America with proper shot placement. 6 grains of uniques has been my bread and butter with that bullet for going on twenty years in several makes and models.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
    "For every tree that does not bear fruit is thrown in to the fire"
    Mathew 7:19

Different pistol---new experiment

Kimber Aegis Elite with 20# spring and one piece guide rod---had square bottom firing pin stop---found no discernible difference in performance
    My gun---my load---use at your own risk
    Sig brass--standard ACP
    255 gr Hunter Supply SWC .452
    7.2 gr IMR 800X
    Winchester Large Pistol Primer
    Pure Magic in the ol' 1911
    Not chrono'd---no need---good ejection, no primer swipes---no recovered bullets!
    The more I use 800X, the more I find it to be the perfect 45, 10 mm, 9 mm powder. I use a Lyman digital auto measure set up so the cornflake design causes me no beef.
    Next bullet to experiment with is the Montana SWC GC of similar weight.
    Once you get the bug, you can't help but experiment even after finding what you were looking for!
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
    "For every tree that does not bear fruit is thrown in to the fire"
    Mathew 7:19

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In my S&W M1917 and Colt New Service .45 ACP I load 4 grains of Bullseye with Accurate 45-264H for 700 fps.

This bullet WILL NOT chamber in an M1911 because it has a full-diameter forepart to fit the cylinder throats.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Still a good thread.........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Bub
    Yes, a good thread. I've been searching for revolver data for Starline 45 Cowboy Special with a 255 grain cast.

Boolit Man
    I don't know how it would compare to your specific 255, but I just finished some load development in cowboy brass with an accurate moulds SWC weighing basically 250grains that's very similar to the 454424 & 452423 bullets. I was doing my development & shooting through a single action Colt. 7.3grains Unique was acceptable enough for bush carry to 25yards (2-3") but 6.5grains Unique was so incredibly accurate group after group that I called it a load with 6.5 instead. Bit less pressure in those stubby cases and consistent groups under an inch to 25yards. Velocity spreads were single digit too. And the velocity I got at 6.5 with my 250 is very useable utility...

6.5gr Unique gave 933fps over my chrony
    7.3gr Unique was 1053 ... whopper.. I have to wonder what the pressure might be on that one, but reading some of Larry's data, I'd venture to guess well into +P / +P+ territory.

Barrel is a 5.5" on my Colt, and the cowboy brass was fired through an ACP cylinder, no modifications, milling or anything of the sort. They drop right in and go. Factory Winchester 230FMJ ammo shoots the same exact left/right for sighting, but lands approximately 2" lower. So with a 25yard zero using factory stuff for plinking and practice, I have the thing shooting 250's @930+ just 2" high for the same hold, and get a 50yard zero with them which is nice for field use. Pretty slick. I'm liking that ACP-cylinder & cowboy-brass combo very much!

Boolit Master
    Every gun is different.What works for one may not work for another.
    I would load only five shells and try it.
    Then go ahead or try another way.
    It's all experimental.
    Nothing is a sure thing.
    Good Luck!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ranchman View Post
    I don't know how it would compare to your specific 255, but I just finished some load development in cowboy brass with an accurate moulds SWC weighing basically 250grains that's very similar to the 454424 & 452423 bullets. I was doing my development & shooting through a single action Colt. 7.3grains Unique was acceptable enough for bush carry to 25yards (2-3") but 6.5grains Unique was so incredibly accurate group after group that I called it a load with 6.5 instead. Bit less pressure in those stubby cases and consistent groups under an inch to 25yards. Velocity spreads were single digit too. And the velocity I got at 6.5 with my 250 is very useable utility...

6.5gr Unique gave 933fps over my chrony
    7.3gr Unique was 1053 ... whopper.. I have to wonder what the pressure might be on that one, but reading some of Larry's data, I'd venture to guess well into +P / +P+ territory.

Barrel is a 5.5" on my Colt, and the cowboy brass was fired through an ACP cylinder, no modifications, milling or anything of the sort. They drop right in and go. Factory Winchester 230FMJ ammo shoots the same exact left/right for sighting, but lands approximately 2" lower. So with a 25yard zero using factory stuff for plinking and practice, I have the thing shooting 250's @930+ just 2" high for the same hold, and get a 50yard zero with them which is nice for field use. Pretty slick. I'm liking that ACP-cylinder & cowboy-brass combo very much!
    Good show..............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

I loaded a few 7gr Herco under a 255gr SWCBB commercial cast bullet and it seemed a little warm so I backed off to 6gr. These were loaded long for revolver use, even with the crimp groove but not crimped. These are pretty mild and I think I'll try 6.5 next time..............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123