RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 45acp with 255gr boolit

Banned

45acp with 255gr boolit

anyone have any good loads on the above boolits?

I have some 255gr boolits I want to shoot out of my 45acp and am looking for some load data and suggestions.

Boolit Grand Master
    Which 255 grain bullet?

Seating depth and OAL matter a lot with these bullets, and many loads I've seen in print with the various 255's make me cringe.

The charge should be dropped notably from 230 grain bullets that normally seat much more shallowly in the case. Some 255's due to a rather short nose and a high amount of their weight in bearing surface length are particularly "pressure raising."

With the bullet unknown, I'd start at 5.0 Unique, for instance, and work from there to about 800-830 fps, which would likely be in the 5.5 grain region. Of course, particular bullets may change this somewhat.

anachronism
    do you have any of the old Speer manuals? They used to show 45 ACP data for the 260 gr JHP. I most commonly use their Unique data which shows 5.8 grains as a starting load for 822 fps & max at 6.4 grains as max at 822 fps. 231 starts with 5.4 grains at 756 fps &5.9 as max at 824 fps. There are others. Let me know which powder you'd like to use & I'll see what I can find out. The only downside it that they only show the older powders in my books, probably because of their age, & some of these max loads are pretty hot.

Do not even consider using any hot loads in 1917s, S&W or Colt. They simply cannot take it. 35 Remington is absolutely correct about choosing your bullets carefully. As always, you need to start low in your load development & work your way up. This is not so much for Blammer, whom I know to be an experienced handloader, but for any less experienced people who may be reading this thread.
    Last edited by anachronism; 08-16-2009 at 09:36 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep.

6.4 grains Unique is rather much with several of the 255 grain cast bullets that are available to the caster and handloaders.

I wouldn't get near those charges without knowing exactly which 255's and what seating depth and its effect on the remaining case space and pressures.

Which is why I called a halt at 5.5 grains of Unique until more info is provided. Even 5.5 grains can get velocities as high as many 230 grain ball loads (deeper seating gets higher pressures with moderate amounts of powder; 255's may very well obtain equal velocities to 230's with less powder and more pressure due to this).

Boolit Master

I used a 454190 in my 45 Colt, worked well with a case mostly full of ffg Blackpowder. Probably not what you were looking for though!

Boolit Master
    I have used 5.5 grains of unique with a round nose flatpoint 250 grain commercial hard cast that shot very accurately. Didn't like how snappy they were and shot them up in my 625 though. I think I would back it down to 5 even myself unless I made a spring change.

Banned

Ok it would be the boolit in the middle.

I have used the 255 gr rfn bullet with 4.5 grs of Unique. You might start there.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

45 acp

and I would not use that weight in an 1911.the gun was regulated for 230 gr.
    sell or trade the bullets.if the recoils to much it might crack the frame.some one could use the bullets.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Mold
    I have been using 255 swc's for a couple of years now. I shoot pins and these are the best pin knocking bullet there is. I use them in a s&w1911 and a 625, about 4000 through the 1911 and 2500 through the 625. I have done extensive testing on these loads and came up with couple using unique that I like a lot. I tried other powders but kept coming back to unique. This powder has a sweat spot with an AOL of 1.20, 5.3-5.4 grains. At these charges my 1911 runs these at 875 and the 4" 625 about 830. When I go up in charge weights or down I get a lot of unburned powder. I crimp the pistol bullets to .471 but the revolver needs a good hard crimp with a LFC die. These crimps are just below the "running ring" and sort of hang in mid air but set your crimp for .468 or less on the revolver bullets and they won't "walk" away from recoil.
    I also tested how well certain bullets and charge weights take down pins and find these to be a safe and non damaging load for the guns I use it in. As usual hitting a pin in the sweat spot will always take it off the table but these loads work just as well when you are out of that spot.
    In the 1911 I run a 16# spring with a fitted square bottom firing pin retainer. I also use a buffer but I don't think this is necessary.
    Last edited by hovbuild@comcast.net; 08-23-2009 at 05:57 AM.

Boolit Mold
    I shoot 250 gr with 6.5 grains hs6. This is very accurate. I think oal is 1.195 I will check tonight.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hovbuild@comcast.net View Post
    I have been using 255 swc's for a couple of years now. I shoot pins and these are the best pin knocking bullet there is. I use them in a s&w1911 and a 625, about 4000 through the 1911 and 2500 through the 625. I have done extensive testing on these loads and came up with couple using unique that I like a lot. I tried other powders but kept coming back to unique. This powder has a sweat spot with an AOL of 1.20, 5.3-5.4 grains. At these charges my 1911 runs these at 875 and the 4" 625 about 830. When I go up in charge weights or down I get a lot of unburned powder. I crimp the pistol bullets to .471 but the revolver needs a good hard crimp with a LFC die. These crimps are just below the "running ring" and sort of hang in mid air but set your crimp for .468 or less on the revolver bullets and they won't "walk" away from recoil.
    I also tested how well certain bullets and charge weights take down pins and find these to be a safe and non damaging load for the guns I use it in. As usual hitting a pin in the sweat spot will always take it off the table but these loads work just as well when you are out of that spot.
    In the 1911 I run a 16# spring with a fitted square bottom firing pin retainer. I also use a buffer but I don't think this is necessary.
    Finally, someone else that knows the true design of the 1911....using the square bottom firing pin retainer...more commonly called the firing pin stop. Way to go.

Joe

In revolvers loading the .45 ACP or .45 Auto-Rim with 250 or heavier bullets is a different affair than loading them for a 1911 or similar .45 ACP pistol. The seating depth demanded from the pistol to have it function reliably forces one to usually seat these bullets deeper in the case, so starting on the low side is most prudent to keep pressures from causing unanticpated problems. Revolvers are more forgiving in terms of OAL and the margin of safety is there with modern guns shooting these heavier bulleted rounds. One nice thing about using these 250 grain + bullets in a 1911 or .45 ACP pistol at 825-850 fps is you are basically turing it into a "semi-automatic .45 Colt" in terms of ballistics.
    Last edited by The Virginian; 09-18-2009 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Grand Master

I am no longer a pin shooter, so I have little need for such heavy bullets in my 1911's. However, I WILL be shooting them with my 625's. In fact, I am waiting on a new N.O.E. five cavity mould for the Lyman design 454424 bullet.

I am looking forward to working with that in my .45 Auto Rim revolvers.

I agree thoroughly with being extremely careful with the WW I revolvers. They should NOT be used with anything over factory pressures.

Dale53

Banned

4.5gr unique to start with, thanks guys!

Boolit Buddy
    You mentioned 45 ACP, but did you mean a revolver or an M1911 design?

If it's an M1911, with a meplat and nose that wide, I envision lots of FTF problems in your future.

I can't picture in my mind how to make those boolits feed successfully in a M1911-type pistol. You'd hit the feed ramp way too low, likely winding up with either stovepiped or just plain jammed rounds.

But if it's a wheelgun, go for it.

Boolit Buddy
    I have used 5.5 grs. Unique under the #454190 Lyman 250 gr. in both the 1917 Colt revolver, in .45 Auto-Rim cases, and the Colt 1911A1 government model ACP. You must be aware of seating depth, and try not to seat much deeper than the normal 230 gr. jacketed bullet would be seated,
    because of increasing pressure due to such deeper seating.

I really like the heavier bullets in .45 ACP revolvers the best and mostly in .45 Auto-Rim cases. Like the .455 Webley, the .45 Auto-Rim is a slow and heavy cartridge in terms of ballistics and the bottom line is a nice big 45 hole is well a .45 hole so hollow points need not apply.

Boolit Buddy
    Elmer Keith recommended the 454524 and "4 or 5 grains of Bullseye or 6 grains of Unique" in the AR case as a "great light load". Now obviously you can't use the AR brass, but it should work in an ACP case. Of course, can't guara
    Last edited by ChuckS1; 09-22-2009 at 08:14 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Chucks1;
    This image is too small to read. I have it on my hard drive so it's not a problem for me. However, it IS a problem for those who don't have it.

If you cannot send a larger file (I don't want to tramp all over your post) let me know and I will send a larger image. Keith's info is GOOD!

Dale53

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast