Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .358 105 Grain Wad Cutter - Interested?

Moderator Emeritus

.358 105 Grain Wad Cutter - Interested?

Hi,

Would anyone be interested in participating in a group buy of a Lee 6 cavity mould for a 100 or 105 gr full wad cutter? My thoughts are that the mold would be a tumble lube design with a flat base, designed to drop from wheel weights at .358. I don't have a preference as to whether or not there is a "nub" on the front of the bullet.

I would like these to shoot PPC with. I have the Lee semi wad cutter version of this bullet (358-105-SWC) and really like it, but it rips the paper too much for accurate scoring of targets.

I have shot commercially made wad cutters in both 100 and 105 gr. They shot well and produce much less recoil than a 148 gr wad cutter.

If there is interest, I would be willing to run the group buy. I would need help with a drawing to send Lee though.

Your comments would be appreciated...

Thanks,
    John

Boolit Master
    Hi John! Yep, I'm interested.

I'd like a symetrical design so it could be loaded 'up' or 'down'. Tumble lube is good. A bevel base on each end would be good too.

Dale

Super Moderator

..............I'd go for one. You dont have to have a tumble lube design to simply use TL. Just in case you didn't know). I use the Lee 358-148WC in my K38 and M&P TL'd over target loads and they work great.

Heck, for a hundred grainer you could just put one smallish LG smack in the middle and call it good. Especially if aimed at the plinker target crowd.

Whatever you decide is fine with me, I'm in. Can't have enough wadcutters I suspect

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned

Im another big fan of that lee 105 swc its probably the most accurate 38 bullet ive found but its doesnt work real well for me for ppc shooting because its hard to load with speed loaders. I would think a full wad cutter would be worse. Id still be up to try it though if it wasnt a tumble lube design. Like was said if you cut it convetionaly you can still tumble lube it if you want. Thats what i do with the swc most of the time anyway.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I think TL would be a bad thing, it may be faster for some to lube them, but they would be slower to load because you would have to clean the noses or have the seating depth change drastically. I'd buy one if it had a single lube groove.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Moderator Emeritus
    All,

A single lube groove in the middle would be fine.... That's how the commercial bullets I have used were designed.

Any other comments about whether or not to have the "button" on the front of the bullet or a symettrical design? It doesn't matter to me.

I don't have any trouble using a speed loader with full wad cutters in PPC. I think part of the trick is that the cylinder of a "tuned" PPC pistol commonly has a little bit of a radius or chamfer cut into it to allow for easier loading. All of the people I shoot PPC with that use revolvers are using full wad cutters.

It looks like we have five people interested so far. Can someone draw up the bullet so we can make this official?

Thanks!
    John

Boolit Master
    to make chambering easier, seat the boolit slightly below flush and apply a heavier crimp, like slightly radius the case mouth. I do this and they drop right in.
    Some where between here and there.....

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Maybe one of these would be of interest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 105 gr. 38 WC.JPG  

Boolit Master

The only thing I could see the button being needed for is possibly collating the bullets ?? which I don't do anyway. Does the button fitting in a recess in the seating punch help line things up when seating ??

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Moderator Emeritus
    45 2.1,

Thank you! I think folks would like either of the left hand molds, probably the top one. I have attached a picture of a commercial 105 gr wad cutter I have used next to a 148 gr wad cutter with the "button". I would like the end of the bullet (at least the front) to be a little more square/sharp than what the 105 gr picture shows, if possible, so that it produces a cleaner cut in the target.

If we get enough interest, would you be willing to make a dimensioned drawing that is suitable to Lee?

Willbird - I don't think the button does anything...

Thanks again,
    John

Super Moderator

...............I think the button is merely a means to determine 'This end up'. Then again, it DOES increase the BC by a solid .00537%

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Just a .359 piece of lead with a lube groove in it. Think LEE would get it right?

David

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Pictured commercial 105 gr wad cutter.
    Please measure the length of the commercial 105 gr. wadcutter to the thousandth and post it for me.

I would like the end of the bullet (at least the front) to be a little more square/sharp than what the 105 gr picture shows, if possible, so that it produces a cleaner cut in the target.
    It already is.

If we get enough interest, would you be willing to make a dimensioned drawing that is suitable to Lee?
    Yes

These little "tuna can" boolits can shoot quite well. I ran across an old Lee 358-82 gr mould at a second hand store last summer. They shoot quite well even in .357 cases. I use a cork wad behind them and drive them with Green Dot about 1000 fps...

I'll keep an eye on this thread as I'd be interested in a 105 gr mould.

Dennis

Banned
    Got my eye on this one, wanna see the finished drawing first, but sounds like a winner to me. I like the looks of the upper left drawing alot.

Boolit Master

Nothing says a guy has to shoot them one at a time either

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

"Moderator Emeritus"

here we go again I'm in for one. Like the one in the upper left.
    krag35
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

I have a single cavity 358495 Lyman which is about 105-110 gr. Trying it out this weekend in the Wheelen. If it shoots, it'll be great for small critters.
    trk
    aka Cat Whisperer
    Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
    N 37.05224 W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Moderator Emeritus
    It looks like we have eight folks interested so far, not bad for a couple days... This might just happen!

The light bullets are really nice when you shoot 6 shots in 12 seconds (50 ft) and 12 shots in 20 seconds, with a reload (21 ft). The muzzle doesn't jump much, making it a lot faster to get the sights back on the target.

45 2.1 - The length of the 105 gr bullet varies from .398 to .409 but most of the bullets are .400. It sounds like the concensus is the top left design. Would you suggest a .358 or .359 diameter? I have used both without problems.

John

Boolit Buddy
    I would be in for one of these if it's the upper left design. I would definitely not want a TL design.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast