WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Rocket Slugs, Finned slugs and Others

Boolit Grand Master

Rocket Slugs, Finned slugs and Others

So I finally got some shooting done! The results were certainly not what I was hoping for but I learned a few things anyway so not a waste.

Thomas Edison apparently said “I haven’t failed, I have found 10,000 ways that don’t work.” My response is ~ “Amateur!” I could teach Mr. Edison a thing or two about what doesn’t work! (at least with shotgun slugs)

Nonetheless, there were lessons learned and trends that held up.

I have tried a variety of plastic wads, fiber and card wad combinations and fillers. So far the best and most consistent results for me have been with a solid column of hard card wads with a plastic gas seal under them.

Not to say that good accuracy cannot be had using plastic wads. I have had some good results shooting 0.662” round balls in shotcups and many others get good results, but generally, I have had best results when using hard card wads especially with heavy slugs.

I have been leaning towards bore size slugs anyway just to eliminate that wad variable and I think the results of this outing have convinced me that bore size is the way I will go.

What got me going for this test was diehard and his Rocket Slugs.

I had made the 6 finned (or vaned) mould up a few months ago on the basis that the fins would give the wad column better support than a hollow base slug, it has a heavy solid nose and that the fins could be bore size but would swage to suit a choke. I made several attempts to get them to shoot and was unsuccessful (results posted) so was going to modify the mould to a ribbed hollow base. Then diehard posted photos of the Rocket Slugs. They were so similar to the slugs I made that I got interested again. He got some promising results and offered to send 5 Rocket Slugs to me for testing. How could I refuse.

So, diehard provided the 5 Rocket Slugs and I decided to try the finned slugs again, both bore size and also turned down to fit into a shotcup. I took 5 finned slugs and turned them down from 0.730” diameter to 0.680” diameter.

I also thought while I was at it that I would load up some more TC slugs and wadcutter slugs from a mould I made. While I haven’t gotten really good results, all the holes in the targets have been nice and round so they fly well. I have also had several wads blow so attributed poor accuracy to a bad launch.

I also decided to try a Brenneke or AQ inspired test. I have tried several methods of making homemade Brennekes and AQ’s with mediocre success and they were lots of work to make. I concluded that generally good but sometimes erratic accuracy was due to inconsistent wads or attachment. So this time I decided that using copper tubing parted off would give a repeatable “skirt” under a round ball. I punched 0.662” round balls, wound a short wood screw in then set the short piece of copper tube on the ball with screw up and filled with hot melt glue. Fairly quick and easy to make, and reasonable accuracy.

Loads as follows:

· All hulls Fiocchi 2 ¾”
    · All primers Winchester 209
    · All powder charges = 34 grs. of Blue Dot
    · Wads and gas seals from Pacific Versalite wads

This load was based on a load I worked up and has proven safe under slugs of up to 600 grs. using 38 grs. of Blue Dot. However, it was slapping me stupid (okay, more stupid) and I found I was collapsing slug skirts and fins so reduced it to where recoil was tolerable and it didn’t seem to hurt slugs so much.

Also, of the plastic wads I have tried the Pacific Versalite have held up well in the past even when I used the gas seal over 38 grs. of Blue Dot pushing a 600 gr. full bore slug. I have blown several other gas seals but not these ~ until now!

Guns used:

o single shot break action cylinder bore for all but the Rocket Slugs
    o Browning BPS with I/C choke slug barrel used for Rocket Slugs
    o All shooting was at 50 yards

The reason I used the Browning for the Rocket Slugs is that it has shot well for me and diehard mentioned that best results with the Rocket Slugs were with some choke.

So, on to results:

0.662” Round ball/copper tube

· 0.662” round ball/copper tube with hot melt glue filler
    · Weight = 570 grs.
    · Group size = 3” wide x 8 ½” high including one flyer
    · 2 slightly oval holes
    · All gas seals blew and wads were in poor shape

Wadcutter Slug in Shotcup

· Weight = 550 grs.
    · Filled with cornmeal
    · Group size = 4 in 5 ½” wide x 16” high; 1 outside flyer
    · All holes round
    · All wads in good shape

TC Slug In Shotcup

· Weight = 525 grs.
    · Filled with hot melt glue
    · Group size = 5 ½” wide x 10” high; 1 flyer
    · All holes round
    · The 4 wads recovered were in good shape

Full Bore Finned Slugs

· Weight = 580 grs.
    · Oven heat treated
    · Loaded over cushion leg (none recovered)
    · Group size = 2 in 2 1/2” wide x 1 ½” high; 3 misses
    · Oval holes
    · No cushion legs recovered

Finned Slug in Shotcup

· Weight = 500 grs.
    · Oven heat treated
    · Loaded into Pacific Versalite wad
    · Group size = 1 on the paper
    · Round hole
    · The 4 wads recovered were in terrible shape

Rocket Slugs

· Weight = 410 grs.
    · Loaded into Pacific Versalite wad
    · Group size = 3 in 6 ¼” wide x 1 ½” high; total group size 13” wide x 12” high
    · 2 hit sideways
    · wads were in pretty good shape with one slightly blown gas seal

Basically all accuracy results were mediocre to downright horrible. Some groups I am sure could have been better if the shooter was more consistent and it hadn’t been so windy. However, that doesn’t explain missing a 24” x 36” piece of paper at 50 yards!

None of the loads showed any sign of excess pressure but some did leave quite a bit of unburned powder in the bore, possibly making groups sizes larger.

I was rather surprised at the carnage done to the wads. This was not a really heavy load and I have no good explanation for the severe wad failures. The finned slugs likely allowed enough distortion that there was gas leakage causing burning and failure but why the wads used for the solid base copper tube slugs failed I do not know.

I have used heavier powder charges under heavier slugs with the same gas seal but under hard card wads without any seal failures.

The 2 recovered Rocket Slugs showed substantial fin collapse but most of the wads look pretty good. I think this is due to the light slug and relatively low pressure.

The Rocket Slugs appeared to be approximately as hard as ACWW. The fins are slightly tapered and run from about 0.070” at the edge to almost 1/8” where they join. There is not as much cross sectional area as my 6 finned slugs so I am not sure how the manufacturer planned to avoid fin collapse. I used relatively slow Blue Dot and a moderate load so I am pretty sure a faster powder would cause as much or more fin distortion.

I am still intrigued by the finned slug design so haven’t completely given up yet. I also took lots of photos and dimensions of the Rocket Slugs and have modeled a mould cavity in 3D. I think the mould would be quite easy to make so if anyone is interested I can provide dimensions and the 3D information and method to a mould maker. The Rocket Slugs are made in a split mould.

I will be making a new core for my 6 finned mould to try 3/32” fins instead of the 1/8” fins it now has then I will try again. This will lighten the fins a bit and make them a little more aerodynamic but it will also make them more fragile.

I will also be modifying the core of my current 6 finned mould to produce a ribbed full bore hollow base. So far my best results with hollow base have been with the Rapine 730550 which gave 2” groups at 50 yards from this same gun. I will be trying to repeat that as I have a few more Rapine slugs to load.

So, what did I learn from all this and other tests? Well:

· I think full bore slugs and balls are easiest to get consistency with.
    · For ease and simplicity of loading I still like full bore round ball and have gotten decent accuracy to 50 yards with it from smoothbore and good accuracy with rifled bore.
    · Gas seals like a really solid flat base above them.
    · Failed wads and/or gas seals really cause havoc with accuracy. The exception here seems to be the 0.662” RB/copper tube slug which gave reasonable accuracy even though all wads looked like they went through a blender.
    · Next time out I will be shooting full bore round ball and filled hollow base or Brenneke/AQ style with good hard card wads and good support for the gas seal.
    · Remember to take a really thick shoulder pad with me when slug shooting.

Last but not least, I would like to thank diehard for sending me the Rocket Slugs for testing. These are a little slice of history and I appreciated the opportunity to handle them, measure them and shoot them.

That’s all I got for now.

Longbow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0.662 rb before 2.jpg   0.662 rb before.jpg   0.662 rb.jpg   6 vaned slug.jpg   Rocket Slugs.jpg  

Last edited by longbow; 02-15-2010 at 12:45 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Excellent write up! I am sorry your results were not to your satisfaction, but I can appreciate your diligence, and your meticulous observations. One note: I only shot 15 of the Rocket slugs, but found that a modified choke improved accuracy. I used a light load of fast powder (7625), and found them to group pretty well at 25 yards. I wish I had recovered the slugs for comparison, but I'm just not that smart, I guess.

Anyway, while I agree with you about full bore slugs (it was my success with Rem. sluggers that got me facinated by slugs in the first place) I am still very interested in the finned design. I don't know why.....but it seems like a viable design to me and my limited mechanical aptitude.

Thank you for your experiment. Happy slugging!

Boolit Bub
    Excellent write up.

Ill be finishing my mold/molds in the nex few days. Im not sure what to finish as im strapped for time I have a mold that makes a slug similar to your wadcutter but with a meplat like a brenneke classic. The other is almost a carbon copy of the brenekke clasic with rifling which ill finish if I have time. Both are full bore which is .719 for my smoothbore. Dont have a rifled barrel. What are you using rifled or smooth?

Have you tried attaching a fibre wad to the wadcutter type? the brenekke fibre wads are attached with a wood screw. Im going to try this attached type wad method but the issue with the wads I have is their softness. The originak brenneke wads are dense.

I have a board of the fibreous substance used on the back of drawers and cheap cabinets (not chipboard/mdf) if you understand me. If I can cut acceptable discs I will sandwich a wad between two discs and attach with a screw providing I can keep within a reasonable OAL. Ill post my results when I get around to some shooting and maybe we can get some decent accuracy between us! Ill be happy with a 4 inch group at 50 yards but I can feel that this is going to take time and development.
    All the best.
    David.
    Last edited by woody12; 08-14-2009 at 08:05 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Woody12:

Just a quick answer for now. I have been trying various slug loads for some time now in an attempt to get consistent accuracy beyond 50 yards.

The goal has been 4" to 6" at 100 yards with smoothbores. Lyman claims it can be done with their Foster slug but my mould casts so much undersize I do not believe it. I am lucky to get 8" to 12" groups with it at 50 yards with it using Lyman book loads.

I have been reasonably successful with bore size round balls (0.735" so a little over 0.729" nominal 12 ga.) and 0.662" round balls loaded into shotcups. I have been able to produce reasonably consistent 4" groups at 50 yards with these loads.

I have tried a variety of home made and factory hollow base slugs, Brennekes, AQ's and others. The best results so far from hollow base is with the Rapine 730550 which gave me 2" groups at 50 yards. The best long range groups I have gotten are from AQ's which gave me a 6 1/2" group at 100 yards.

It should not be too difficult to find a slug that will give you 3" to 6" accuracy at 50 yards. It is beyond 50 yards that the challenge begins ~ at least for me.

This is with smoothbore.

I have tried attaching wads to various slug types and so far the best results have been when using hot melt glue in a form or paper tube as a skirt or "attached wad". Some of these perform almost as well as AQ's but I still get too many flyers. Consistent shape and attachment is the key and I find it difficult to get consistency even with carefully punched wads and attachment using a jig.

I will be very interested to see photos of your slugs and moulds. I am rather partial to Brenneke style and they have a long history behind them. If I could get a good consistent wad and attachment that wasn't too much work to put together I think that is the answer.

I will look forward to your results.

By the way, is that 0.719" the choke diameter or bore? 0.719" is very tight for bore diameter.

Longbow

Boolit Bub
    What Im looking for is a hunting load. I only reload slug because of the price and limited selection of ammo but even loose bought and loaded they still cost enough. I use and love the gualandi dangerous game.

50-75yard accuracy is all I need with the thick cover where I hunt. Hopefully its not going to be to greater a task. Currently im running at a consistent 3 shot 3'' -3.5'' group at a 70 yards using the gualandi. I would say your 6.5'' groups at 100 yards is smashing depending on whether you like the AQ or not, personally I loath it as a hunting slug but thats just my opinion.

The barrel is stamped and the bore has been mic'ed to .719'' haven't got a clue why these dimensions were used. The gun is an extensively mod'ed cooey model 84. Shortened re-crowned barrel, as it had a fixed full choke, with a barrel attached scope rail . I also have a remmy 1100 but its to much hastle swapping between slug and bird then re-zeroing when I change back so I use the cooey as a dedicated which is more accurate anways.

Im going try and finish one of my molds by mid-week but my dad has bullied me into doing some plaster boarding so again its going to have to wait a bit longer. Im itching to complete but I dont want to rush through as things always tend to go pear shaped when your on the home straight.

ATB

David.
    Last edited by woody12; 08-15-2009 at 08:13 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Where did you get a Cooey?

I have 3 and one is colour case hardened and with walnut stock. I have never seen a "fancy" Cooey before. This one is from pre Winchester days too.

One of the smoothbore slug guns I am using now is a Cooey, the other is a Browning BPS.

I can't comment on the AQ for hunting as I have only shot paper with it but it was more accurate than anything I have shot so far. I tried some Gualandi DGS and they gave very good groups at 50 yards but I just had a few for a test. The budget doesn't let me use much factory ammo or even bought slugs.

My preferences are for bore diameter and Brenneke style. I just haven't been very successful with home made Brennekes. Some have worked very well but I still get too many flyers.

I still can't figure out how your Cooey got a 0.719" bore.

Longbow

Boolit Bub
    My cooey was given to me. I havent a clue why it has the .719'' bore. I did do some research but I could'nt find much. The serial numbers on the action and barrel both match. I'm pretty sure its a pre winchester the serial is 85000 odd, not sure of the exact number off the top of my head. I get good groups with it the trigger is not the best for slug shooting though.
    ATB
    David.