RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: what is your favorite .357 mag load?

Boolit Buddy

what is your favorite .357 mag load?

I just got serious about my .357 mag loading usually it load it pretty meek and just plink however my wifes recent interest in camping has got me thinking, i need to load those puppies up a wee bit hotter on the off chance i run into some animal that isn't too keen on seeing me in the bush. So i'm asking you, what is your favorite load?

the only thing i've ever loaded up and shot that was at all hot was

primer: winchester small pistol mags
    Case: whatever
    Powder: blue dot 10grains
    bullets: speer 158 grain Jacketed hollow points

i liked the load but i'm looking for one uses a cast bullet.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

Boolit Master
    I've been loading a 150 grain RCBS 357 SWC over 14.0 grains 296. In a six inch gun this is dynamite and hits hard!

296 is a very strange powder and in many manuals is listed as a "use as quoted" load with no reduction required.

The Lee manual shows this load at 1510 FPS and 32,000 CUP If this load won't get it done stop beating around the bush and call in a nuclear air strike!

Boolit Buddy
    For "serious" .357 woods duty my load is the lyman 358429 173 grain Keith bullet over 15.5 grains of lil gun. One note-many people report great performance from lil gun in rifles and lackluster performance in revolvers....bullet pull/start resistance is extremely important with lil gun. I happen to have a set of tight C&H dies for my .357 loads that help me get consistent velocities and match the velocity of 10% higher charges from "looser" dies. FWIW , My old .357 load was 10 gr of Blue Dot under 158grain bullets-still a good load.
    Cast is an adjective, a noun and a verb. Cast works as both imperative and past tense without any additional letters or helping verbs.

Boolit Master
    Well, I'm new to casting, but i sure like the look of the lee 358-158-rf (my mold is in mail) . Nice big meplat, should work almost like a wadcutter for light target / plinkers. should hit like a hammer when loaded hot.

In the past, i've carried Hornaday's 158gr FP/xtp with 13gr blue dot (this is a max load). The flat point XTP is a flat point with a small hollow. It's designed for higher velocity than their big hollow point, and doesn't over expand.

It's my pick for a woods just in case load. I don't know what type of critters you may have, but i would not hesitate on a cougar or black bear, or as a deer hunting load.

LB

Boolit Buddy
    Well, a .357 would be OK for a cougar or a deer, but I have my doubts about black bears or wild boars. If you might run into the latter two, you really need something more like a .44 Magnum.

I really like .357 Magnums; they're very versatile. I have several S&W versions. But I wouldn't want to have to use one on dangerous game.

But were that my only available choice, I'd probably use my "noisy" load; which is 15 grains of IMR 4227 under a 158 grain boolit. It has a heck of a muzzle blast and a basketball-size orange flame out of the muzzle. Not really speedy; you'll only get around 1200 FPS out of a 5" barrel with it.
    Same boolit & barrel, 15gr of 2400 powder will get you around 1270 FPS.
    Same boolit & barrel, 11.6gr of Herco powder will get you around 1390 FPS, and duplicates factory loads.
    All of the above are maximum loads, producing chamber pressures in the range of 22,000 to 23,000 lbs. Standard precautions apply.

If you have a large frame revolver, you could consider using 15 gr 2400 powder with a 150gr to 160gr boolit to get around 1550 FPS. Don't try this with a standard frame revolver, as this load is above 25,000lbs chamber pressure. Be sure to label the box as a high power load. Marking the case base with a red Sharpie would also be a good reminder that they are high power loads.

Boolit Master
    I like the Elmer Keith 358439 boolit over the Keith recommended load using 2400 powder. It has been very good in the N frame, L frame and K frame.

A bit harder to cast than a solid but worth it when using the 35 caliber revolver.

I also like the 358429 solid and the Keith load when I want penetration. Both boolits give good accuracy when used at long ranges.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy
    My standard .357 load is Lyman's 358477 bullet lubricated with Thompson's Blue Angel over 12.0 grains of Blue Dot.

My favorite load for the .357 Magnum is:
    Lyman Mould #358477 - Sized .357
    Alox/Parrafin Lube w/ Motor Mica Dusting
    Unique Powder @ XXXXXX
    Winchester Primer
    Shoots good.
    masscaster
    Last edited by robertbank; 02-11-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: see correction below by poster.

6.2 grains of red dot behind a 158 grain LRN is a pretty nice load.

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    I have 2 basic loads:

358156, 7.1gr N340, SMP (general Purpose)
    and
    C358180RF, 16gr LilGun, SMP (whompumstompum)
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

I generally use jacketed bullets in the 357 and cast in the 38, but have also had great success with a Loverin-style 158 SWC-GC cast in the magnum. The gas check is necessary for higher oomph loads, IMO.

I like AA-9 for top end 357 loads because it gives all the performance of the usual magnum powders, but with zero muzzle flash. I use Accurate Arms book data, less a couple tenths from max and am perfectly happy.

Boolit Buddy
    For those of you using Lil gun, do you use a standard or magnum primer?

Boolit Buddy
    I use 6.4 gr Bullseye under a 158grain SWC. Very nice target load out of my S&W 686 - 6 "
    Uwe

Boolit Master
    Hey .357 I used a similar load to the one you have listed above, only instead of a J word bullet I used a Lee mold to drop a 158gr SWC w/gas check. It was a good load, but for the woods I really like my Lyman 358429 170gr boolits on top of a case of H110.

Boolit Master

Lyman -156GC over 15 grs 2400. The Lee similar boolit is a suitable substitute. I haven't chrono'ed it, but should be around 1250 or thereabouts.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy
    masscaster, Double check your data!!! the load that you just listed is more that 20% over handbook max.

sierrawhiskey, Your pressure figures/advice are bit odd.

20 nickles, I use Win. small pistol primers with lilgun
    Cast is an adjective, a noun and a verb. Cast works as both imperative and past tense without any additional letters or helping verbs.

Boolit Master
    @Sierra

As i said in my post, " I don't know what type of critters you may have" . .357 lists his location as "the desert" so bear is probably not a concern.

I'm in western Oregon, and the black bears i've seen hunters bring in run alot smaller than what most people have in mind when you say " a bear".

With good shot placement, a warm 357 is an adaquate minimum for what i could expect to find in my area.

Your needs may differ. By all means, bring what you feel will meet your needs.

If i were to go some place that had larger dangerous game, i would likely bring my 30-06. i Know i can get the job done with that.

So far, .357 has not said what animals he expects in his area, so we're all just speculating.

LB

Thank you Treeman!! lol! Blow everyone up with that!!
    That's what you get on your Birthday, drinking Beer and typing. Shoulda got out me data cheet!!
    That should read 6.1 grains of Unique..............................
    Please disregard my most recent oooops!!
    Those are standard pistol primers by the way.
    4 1/2" Ruger
    masscaster

Boolit Master

Security-Six 6 incher...

Lyman 358429...

H-110...15.0 grains...

1247 fps...

'Nuff said...BCB

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by UweJ View Post
    I use 6.4 gr Bullseye under a 158grain SWC. Very nice target load out of my S&W 686 - 6 "
    Uwe
    Uwe,
    Double-check your numbers on your load; that would be a pretty hot load even in a .44 Magnum - and the .44 Magnum has a lot more space in the case.

Alliant Powder's max load for a 158gr LSWC with Bullseye is 4.8gr. If you are actually using 6.4gr of Bullseye, you are probably subjecting your S&W 686 to rather significant overpressure.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast