Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30-40 Krag rebarrel BEWARE

I would shure like to see a photo of one of those cases.

Here's a case that might work for you: http://ammoguide.com/?catid=8 and they're available from Grafs, though pricey: http://www.grafs.com/metallic/735 They'd be a little short in the neck, and the rim is a bit small, but I could live with that better than swelled near bursting.

303Guy,
    Lead slingers in the states have long used 2 grooves for cast bullets with superb results. Lyman manuals used to mention it, and the NRA has recommended it also. There is less deformation and my experience (in 303s, no less ), less leading. I have also read in the American Rifleman in the past that 2 grooves were as accurate as 4 grooves with jacketed bullets, which is why the War Department accepted them.
    Just my 2 cents -
    Regards,
    Maj Dad
    Maj, USAF (ret)
    Member, SCV
    Life Member VFW, DAV, TSRA and MOAA
    Benefactor Member, NRA

"A good plan, violently executed today, is better than a perfect plan executed next week."
    - Gen George S. Patton

Boolit Bub
    I just fired my first group from 100yds. using a load of 22 gr H4198 and 311291 sized .311. 12 of 14 printed in a 2-3/4" group. (two fliers) I checked bullet run-out with my dial indicator and found it to be .015. My idea of using the 7.5 Swiss dies to neck size the fireformed brass gives me a workable load, but nothing to brag about. I'm considering machining a sleeve to fit into the sizing & seating dies to keep the base of the 30-40 case concentric with the case neck. If that doesn't work, I may buy a Lee collet sizing die in 30-06 and modify it in my metal lathe to accomodate the shorter case. This bad purchase is turning into an interesting learning experience.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by tinsmith View Post
    Last weekend, I purchased a 30-40 Krag sporter at a local gun show. Looked good with a replacement Springfield 2-groove barrel and Redfield micrometer peep sight. Was reasonably priced. I thought this would make a great cast boolet rifle.
    I became suspicious when I measured the barrel and found that less than one inch of the original Springfield barrel was removed. I had one round of 30-40 ammo in my cartridge collection. So I sandbagged the rifle and fired it with a string. Sure enough, the case swelled and split!
    The only thing that I can think of is to anneal and fire form a 30-40 krag case. I can neck size with my 7.5 Swiss dies. If this doesn't work, I'll break down the rifle and sell it for parts (keeping the barrel for a pry bar). I can't ethically sell this gun to anyone.
    I would like to purchase ten 30-40 Krag cartridge cases from someone. If you have any that you could part with, please contact me through this site and I'll mail you a check for the brass plus postage.
    Comments, related stories& condolences are welcone. As always: buyer beware!
    Jeff
    I have several 30-40 case I can spare if you're still looking. Winchester/Western and UMC.
    Probably about 30 cases.

Boolit Mold
    Your about 12 years late I'm afraid

Quote Originally Posted by Doble Troble View Post
    I wonder if there's a source for 30-06 rimmed brass (or something else that can be made to work)?
    7x65R
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Banned

I’d make a chamber cast with cerrosafe and find out what it’s been re chambered for if it was mine!

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    I’d make a chamber cast with cerrosafe and find out what it’s been re chambered for if it was mine!
    What smithnframe said. Then you have a good starting point. Cerrosafe castings change as they age so get your measurements after it is removed from the chamber. I used a chamber cast to determine what I had on my Martini Cadet in .32-20. Wound up using 30 carbine brass for my reloads.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dnegative View Post
    Your about 12 years late I'm afraid
    LOL......So it would appear.

Boolit Master
    Criterion Barrels? Not cheap but options.

Oops. Got me again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12