Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-40 Krag rebarrel BEWARE

Boolit Bub

Angry 30-40 Krag rebarrel BEWARE

Last weekend, I purchased a 30-40 Krag sporter at a local gun show. Looked good with a replacement Springfield 2-groove barrel and Redfield micrometer peep sight. Was reasonably priced. I thought this would make a great cast boolet rifle.
    I became suspicious when I measured the barrel and found that less than one inch of the original Springfield barrel was removed. I had one round of 30-40 ammo in my cartridge collection. So I sandbagged the rifle and fired it with a string. Sure enough, the case swelled and split!
    The only thing that I can think of is to anneal and fire form a 30-40 krag case. I can neck size with my 7.5 Swiss dies. If this doesn't work, I'll break down the rifle and sell it for parts (keeping the barrel for a pry bar). I can't ethically sell this gun to anyone.
    I would like to purchase ten 30-40 Krag cartridge cases from someone. If you have any that you could part with, please contact me through this site and I'll mail you a check for the brass plus postage.
    Comments, related stories& condolences are welcone. As always: buyer beware!
    Jeff

Boolit Buddy
    I purchased a sportized Krag many years ago. The barrel was stamped 30-40, but after examining the fired cases to loaded ammunition, I checked dimensions of the fired cases and determined that the chamber was actually 30-40 Krag Improved. The RCBS custom dies set me back $75.00 back then.

I can spare ten R-P cases, non gratis. PM me where to post.

In my vise, I have a Krag action which has been rebarreled with a 2 groove 03A3 barrel. I am in the process of stocking the barreled action.

Measuring from the front of the receiver ring, the barrel is 21.5 inches long. We had to remove that much of the breech end before we could get enough material to give a clean 30-40 chamber.

Boolit Man
    A chamber casting can be made even with candle wax, and should tell you nearly everything you need to know. You may be able to get by with your idea of neck-sizing. Worst case scenario would be that the barrel might need to be set back further and rechambered.
    shunka
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

Boolit Bub
    I measured by barrel to the front of the reciever ring and it's 22.75. I think I have a 30-06 chamber in front of a 30-40 Krag base! Measurements of my fired case bear this out. The way the old boy machined the outside contour of the barrel will not allow it to be set back that much. Well, If my fireforming idea works out, I'll call it my 30-40/06 Wildcat and use it for mild cast loads ONLY. If not, The parts (less barrel) will go on gunbroker.

Boolit Master

If you know someone locally that has a reloading die set for the 30-40, you can also use .303 Brit cases. Run them through the sizing die, this will leave them a bit shy in the neck though but may be fine for your test...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Buddy
    I wonder if there's a source for 30-06 rimmed brass (or something else that can be made to work)?
    Last edited by Doble Troble; 08-15-2009 at 11:25 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

You might want to check GPC they had Krag barrels new made for $110 last time I looked and that would put you right on the money. I sure wouldn't mess with trying to make a regular Krag case work and some day some where somebody will shoot a standard shell in there and get and eye full.

Banned
    KSCO gave some good advice. Either fix it right or tear it down and sell the parts so nobody gets hurt. You wanted a 30-40 Krag, not a crazy contraptions like you have now.

Joe

If you can't set the barrel back, I am going to have to agree with the others. A new barrel is the only way to go.

My gunsmith charged me $150 to rebarrel my Krag with a new 03A3 barrel and I furnished the barrel. He also lapped the lug on the bolt to the action for a little more safety.

He does have some new 03A3 barrels in his shop. I don't know what he would charge if he used his own barrel. He is not cheap, but he is very good. You would have to figure on a least a year's wait though.

Boolit Buddy
    If you can figure-out a wildcat solution stamp the barrel. If you want a 30-40 cast the chamber and figure-out if you've got enough meat to set it back and rechamber.

Wildcats can be fun (and only reasonably dangerous things are fun - this is why shooting is fun)!

Boolit Master
    .444 Marlin brass might be a little short but are larger in the base.
    EDG

... replacement Springfield 2-groove barrel ...
    I'm not sure a two-groove is going to shoot cast boolits! Not up to normal rifle cast velocities, anyway.

Any chance of finding some 8x57 Rimmed brass to form your wildcat? But for cast shooting at two-groove velocity the standard 30-40 case might just work. You may need to anneal the cases a bit further past the shoulder. By the way, if that case you fired was old it may have needed annealing anyway.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Who is GPC? I'm interested in a Krag Barrel.
    Thanks TerryR

Boolit Buddy
    Gun Parts Corporation.

Apparantly, Sold out:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.as...ductSKU=726440

There was a guy over the 1919a4.com board selling Springfield Barrels though.

Of course, you can probably just set yours back for less than that.

I'd see if you could find someone to set back the barrel and rechamber, that's the best idea.

JW

"I'm not sure a two-groove is going to shoot cast boolits! Not up to normal rifle cast velocities, anyway."..303 Guy

Common wisdom and experience here in the USA says you are wrong. Please explain why you believe your above statment is valid? I am interested.

Banned
    I know someone that has an 03A3 barrel for sale. Looks pretty good. No front sight. $80 OBO.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master

I will have to disagree with the 2 groove not shooting. I have shot them in both Enfield and Springfield and with the proper sized boolits they seem to do all right for me. A SMLE that will shoot under 3" with iron sights at 100 yards is no slouch and my 2 groove would do it regular if I pointed it right.

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    I will have to disagree with the 2 groove not shooting. I have shot them in both Enfield and Springfield and with the proper sized boolits they seem to do all right for me. A SMLE that will shoot under 3" with iron sights at 100 yards is no slouch and my 2 groove would do it regular if I pointed it right.
    I second the disagreement. According to my records my RA 9-43 03A3 is passing 4,000 rounds with the Hensley & Gibbs #99 cast boolit next weekend. I just loaded 200 rounds and the record book says my last round of shooting totals 1,816 for this barrel.

I can ring a 6" steel gong all day at 200 yards with my load of 2400 and this rifle.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.hensleygibbs.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Boolit Bub
    I got fifteen new 30-40 cases from Wildwilly. I annealed five of them to within one inch of the base and fireformed with a 150 gr cast boolit & 15.5 gr 2400. I wore safety goggles and held the rifle away from my face. Surprise, nothing unusual happened! The case swelled to the chamber dimensions. I have now completed eight loading & firings with this brass. I neck size with my 7.5 Swiss dies & expand with my .310 RCBS expander. Boolit seating is also done with the 7.5 Swiss seating die.
    Good idea from other members: I have engraved the barrel: "Oversize chamber, Not for factory ammo" I sure wouldn't want anyone at some later date getting injured! Thanks to Wildwilly for the brass and to the other forum members for advice! This is a great site.
    Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast