Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Moly with cast bullets question

Boolit Mold

Moly with cast bullets question

Hi I'm new here.

From what I have been able to see on this and other forums, most people moly coating their boolits combine this with other lubes. For a .308 at low velocity (1000-1100 fps) is just a good moly coating on boolits sufficient lubrication to prevent leading?

The reason I ask is that I have been shooting subsonic cast 308 bullet lubed with Alox through a suppressor. Whilst I have not noticed any 'gummy' residue in the suppressor it is not strippable and have recently read a number of posts on forums that advise against shooting cast boolits through them.

BillyK

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BillyK View Post
    Hi I'm new here.

From what I have been able to see on this and other forums, most people moly coating their boolits combine this with other lubes. For a .308 at low velocity (1000-1100 fps) is just a good moly coating on boolits sufficient lubrication to prevent leading?

The reason I ask is that I have been shooting subsonic cast 308 bullet lubed with Alox through a suppressor. Whilst I have not noticed any 'gummy' residue in the suppressor it is not strippable and have recently read a number of posts on forums that advise against shooting cast boolits through them.

BillyK
    I was sent some moly coated soft boolits for my revolver once and they leaded my bore so bad it took a week to get it all out.
    I have read bad things about moly where coated bores and bullets increased SEE events with slow powders from lack of bullet friction.
    Why not try Johnson's paste wax?
    Actually, I do not want a slippery lube.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I was sent some moly coated soft boolits for my revolver once and they leaded my bore so bad it took a week to get it all out.
    I have read bad things about moly where coated bores and bullets increased SEE events with slow powders from lack of bullet friction.
    Why not try Johnson's paste wax?
    Actually, I do not want a slippery lube.
    Thanks for the response. Does Johnson's leave much less residue than Alox?

Banned

It should not leave any but you need to ask the guys here that swear by it. I see no reason it will not work for you. A cheap test to be sure!

Banned

i mix the jpw 3 parts to one b-wax so it firms up and dries.
    i melt the b-wax and stir in the jpw.
    if your alox is dried i don't see how it would leave much in your supressor.

Boolit Mold
    Quick look at Johson's list of products here in UK doesn't seem to included Paste Wax. Have found a number of wood wax's referred to as Paste Wax which include Bees wax.
    Is there anything special about JPW or would a wood paste wax do the same job?

Thanks

In Remebrance

Any decent wood wax with beeswax may work fine. Try it and see on a few boolits. Some wood waxes contain fine rubbing compounds and that may or may not be a good thing.

As for molly, I don't see and advantage to it in cast. It may function as a very, very polish but there have been several folks saying it just doesn;t seem to work like with jacketed. FWIW I often dust my tumble lubed boolits with Motor Mica or Molly-Z to get rid of the stikyness. It doens;t seem to make any difference for me.

BTW- Welcome to the forum!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the responses....down to the hardware store to buy some wood paste wax.

Regards

BillyK

I am going to try using MOS2 in my pan wax. (Liquid Moly)

Boolit Master

The 'charm' of JPW is the carnauba wax it contains. Check the contents on the paste wax can to ensure carnauba is present.
    I have heard that one can put a dollop of JPW in a large ziplok bag, put the boolits in, zip it, and lay it out in the sun. After a while, the JPW melts, and with some massaging, Voila! Tumble lubed boolits!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)