Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I wish to make my carnoba red softer

Boolit Master
    +1 on the mineral oil. It's what I used to do the same thing earlier this year. Worked good for me.

Boolit Mold

re. carnoba

Michel I make my lube I trie manny diff. products I beleave verry much in synthetic lube I adjust the hardeness by adding synt. gear oil (rear axle oil) it work ok for me I am open for any sugestion ;ps is ****** will bring back a curved barrel!! Au Revoir

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Just make sure to not get any of bozo's lieagra near it. It won't be good for anything then.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master

smklss, bp or both?

If you're going to use only in smokeless loads then any mineral oil, petrol based oil, vaseline, etc. will work fine and you won't have to worry about the lube going rancid. For lubes that will be used for blackpowder (or both smokeless and blackpowder) then some petrol based lubes may cause some fouling problems in blackpowder loads. For the lubes with the au-naturale ingredients like veg oil then simply pour into small ingots, put in ziplocs and store in the fridge until needed. I've found that even very soft lubes work well and maybe better for smokeless than hard lubes... up thru at least 1500 fps anyway.

Boolit Master

Well I mix 3 sticks of Lar's Red with 1 of my home brew sticks of 50/50

The resulting lube will flow through my sizer at normal room temps ( 60 + degrees)

I shoot the lube at 2300 FPS out of the 223 with no problems ( opperator errors are another story )

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

answer from white lube

In a message dated 8/10/2009 12:32:38 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, canuck4570@yahoo.ca writes:
    I have some of your carnoba red
    wish to make it softer, what would be the best softening agent..... I
    tough of alox
    would like your opinion
    thank you Michel Mongrain
    Hello, if you have some Alox you could add some and it might turn out similar to our BAC lube.
    You could add an equal amount of our 50-50 lube to it and it would be BAC.
    A small amount of mineral oil(or any oil) would soften it also. Just add a small amount at a time.

Hope this helps
    Glenn.

Boolit Master

I heard about a lawyer once who took some ******. All it did was make him grow taller.......
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Banned

i mix two sticks of 50-50 to one red and add lanolin as it cools to make tacky ,rubbery type lube. if i want it soft,soft then castor oil ,or glycerin ,or vaseline is added.

I have been using toilet rings (NEW). They are not beeswax anymore but have a similar melt point as the lube I'm mixing it with. I've got it pretty soft right now for use in handgun loads and it seem to work good but is messy. Gonna stiffen up the nex batch and see how that works.

Vaseline is the easiest but Jojoba oil is what I prefer and the latter is chemically a liquid wax.

MJ

Boolit Master

I would try castor oil -- the laxative stuff. It is an extreme pressure lubricant, and makes a pretty good case lube. (gonna try dissolving some in denatured alcohol and see how it works as a spray lube someday)
    I have been using toilet rings (NEW). They are not beeswax anymore but have a similar melt point as the lube I'm mixing it with
    I've got a few of those down in the basement. Haven't tried melting one yet for bullet lube. Will they run in hot weather if I try using them straight? (I know it's probably not a good lube, but it's a good place to start) I don't want anything that will contaminate my powder or primers.