Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Slug Gun Penetration: Hard Full-Bore(FB) Solid "Square" Slug ~VS~ Hard FB Round Ball

20ga. Slug Penetration: Hard Full-Bore(FB) Solid Square Slug ~VS~ Hard FB Round Ball

Okay, so while I was out at the range testing the 12ga HB foster slugs from my new mold I also ran a test comparison using my 20ga. gun and some of my 1-oz hard full-bore solid "square" slug and some of my hard full-bore (0.625'') round ball slugs.

The details of my 12ga. slug tests can be found on this thread on posts #18 & #23 :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=58459

To begin I should define the loads used:

First off was a handful of some random reduced recoil plinker loads I had laying around that used my 20ga. 1-oz full bore solid slugs. Yes, I know most folks wouldn't consider 1-oz slugs loads to be "plinkers" but these are only loaded to a muzzle velocity of about 1,100 to 1,200. My hunting loads using these slugs push them at velocities above and beyond 1,400. I would have preferred to use them for this test but I was too lazy to load some of them up specifically for it, it was after all an after though. One of those, I'm going to be out there anyway things.

The round ball loads on the other hand were full power loads. A 0.625'' round ball cast from hard WW alloy with just a little bit of tine and a little bit of type-metal added to sweeten the mix drops right at 350gr. This means you can load them using modified load data for the Lyman 20ga. overgrown air gun pellet, wad-slug which is also 350gr. I did have some of those full-power round ball loads lying around so those were the ones used in this test.

I would have preferred to use either full power loads of both or reduced "plinker" loads of both -- but this is what I had immediately available and already loaded up on the shelf.

So I used the same big Dough-Fir rounds for my targets to compare these 20ga. slugs penetration as I used for the 12ga. rounds.

This is the target for the solid slugs:

And this is the target for the round ball slugs:

As I stated before in the other thread regarding the groups I printed that day. These groups aren’t as good as I think can be done, especially at this range. However, the vast majority of this is the shooter not the loads in this test. I just couldn't seem to get my head "in the zone" on this particular outing and my shots were all over and I even had a few flyers that were directly my fault. Need to take along the 22-lr. and some bottle caps for targets to get my head in the game before I start shooting the big thumper slug loads next time.

So to make a long story short when I got the target round back home and finally split it open tonight this is what I found:

Long story short the round ball loads far out penetrated the solid square slug loads. I believe this would still have been true even if the solid square slug loads used had been full power hunting loads. However, there was also a significant difference in the wound channels as well, the solid square slug tore a ragged hole that up until the point where the slug finally slowed to a stop was larger diameter then the slug itself. The round ball loads on the other hand just sort of "slipped" through and hardly left any permanent wound cavity at all.

So I guess it all boils down to what you want - deeper penetration or a more extensive permanent wound cavity.
    Last edited by turbo1889; 08-07-2009 at 02:06 AM.

Good writeup, thanks for the info.

Looks like you could re-use some of those round balls. I tried that just for kicks, and was able to re-use a single .690" hard cast round ball 3 times before I finally lost it. Like you, I noticed the round balls penetrate well but don't do much damage. The Lyman sabot slug does lots of damage, but doesn't penetrate as far. I look forward to trying some of your slugs.

Boolit Master

Once again.....Bravo! Great write up!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Good write up and pics. Do you think that living in Montana has to do with being a good gun writer? We might have another MLV here. He already is in the correct state.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet