RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Beggining Reloading

Boolit Mold

Beggining Reloading

I am just starting to reload, both pistol and shotgun loads, and I was wondering if there were any good books out there on shotshell reloading. If anyone knows of a book or even a great website to get me started, please let me know.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I got timed out AGAIN (twice!) while writing this, so I’m reconstructing it as best I can remember. I hate when this happens!

I have been reloading metallic cartridges quite some time, but I too am a new shotgun reloader, having only started about 5 months ago. These are the books that helped me out the most, and I highly recommend them:

Shotshell reloading:
    1. Lyman "Shotshell Reloading Handbook: 5th Edition"( I own the 4th edition): this book has excellent “how to” parts, and is a must for the beginner. Especially helpful are the parts on hull and components recognition.

2. Reloading for Shotgunners, 5th Edition by Rick Sapp: This book has the most diversity in loads, powders, and components of any that I have seen. Very helpful.

Metallic Reloading:
    1. Lee "Modern Reloading 2nd Edition" : I learned more about reloading from reading this book than I did from all the other metallic reloading books I have read combined (and I’ve read several).
    2. Lyman "Reloading Handbook: 49th Edition"(I own the 48th edition): excellent instructional tool for learning all the basics of reloading.

Note: Everyone will have their favorite books. The Speer Reloading Manual has always been highly recommended to me. I now own about 10 manuals and the ones I listed are just my personal favorites.

Some advice: when you get the books ….actually read them, then read them again. Just leafing through the pages is apt to end up causing problems for you at the reloading bench one day.

Also....Amazon and Abel Books might have used copies for a discount. MidwayUSA carries all the ones I mentioned brand new.

Good luck

Frosted Boolits

diehard has given you some good info as far as manuals. Just ike this site is the premier site for casting, shotgun world has a reloading forum that is a wealth of information. When I started out or have an ocassional question concerning shotgun, I go there for advice. Chances are you can get good advice here, but more advice over there. Good luck!

Boolit Master

Yap, good books and web above!!!

One word of advice, and you will hear it over and over again

DO NOT DEVEATE FROM THE PUBLISHED LOAD DATA, changing ONE componate can change pressures drasticley.

After have said the above, you can substatute wads if there is a substatute made for the hull being used, old style Win AA hulls and Claybuster replacement wads come to mind.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Decide what load you want to build, target, hunting etc. Pick a powder and find out what kind of spent shell you will be reloading and go to the powder mfg. website.
    Once there, you will enter what you have so far and they will give you a large list of every combination of shot weight, primer and wad that will go with what you have so far.
    When you get your loader, might as well buy a powder scale right away, you will need it.
    A big help is if you can find a friend that is loading and will give you a little coaching.
    Once you get set up and the loaded shells are coming off the press, you will wonder why you waited so long to start.
    Once you start, keep the distractions to a minimum, if you get company or whatever, just stop, don't try to push through. You cannot believe what a mess just an ounce of shot can make all over the floor.
    My set up is a 1 1/8 oz of #7 1/2 or #8 shot trap load, about 17 grains of Clays powder, Claybuster wad, Winchester 209 primer and a Remington or Winchester hull.
    I push these thru my 35 year old MEC 650 by the 1000"s and they work every time.
    BTW, Clays powder is also a great choice for a lot of handgun loads.