Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 310 Cadet rechamber

Boolit Buddy

310 Cadet rechamber

Hello All: I've got a Martini 310 cadet that has been rechambered for 32-20, but the bore is .317" so it doesn't shoot worth a hoot. I'm thinking I'd like to rechamber it for 32 Miller short, use light loads and .319" bullets. What do you think about this plan? Thanks, Dan

I think the .32 MS might be the better option. The issue you will run into with .32-20 is constant over working of the brass, sizing, expanding etc. Basically, .32-20's are not set up for such fat bullets.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

Why don't you rechamber to something like a 8mm wildcat off the 32-20 case. That way you can have a bullet that matches the bore (.318) for better accuracy. I'm sure the Schutzen shooters have a chambering like that somewhere.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

In Remembrance

Why rechamber when you can simply get the corect bullet mould and it will shoot fine. The .32-20 Cadet conversions need the .320/310 heeled bullet. Both RCBS and CBE make moulds for this bullet. The .310 heel section fits into the case mouth and the .320 ogive portion is outside the case. The outside diameter of the case matches the diameter of the forward section of the bullet. Exactly like the .22 rim fire ammo. I have a converted Cadet that also couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with .32-20 ammo. With the 120 grain slugs cast of air cooled wheel weight alloy from the aforementioned CBE mould it will put 5 shots into a quarter-size group at 50 yards.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Western Firearms in Beverly Hills, Sydney (Australia) sell 2 cav 310 Cadet heeled boolit custom moulds they get made by Lee. They will post one home to you They have a website.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    The instant and best cure as already mentioned is to obtain a correct mold.

I ordered one from CBE (Cast Bullet Engineering). It's made of brass and one of the finest molds I own and I have close to 80, from all makers, commercial and custom.

No, it isn't cheap, but once you have it.....your Cadet will instantly become a coveted possession You ought to shell out the francs for a set of 310 dies as well.....I got them from down under too.

I tried in vain to convince a fella to do the same and he continued on his path of disappointment. It just isn't possible to get happy results from a .310 Cadet using 32-20 dies and impossible using undersized .32-20 bullets.
    I'm shufflin' thru the Texas sand..... but my head's in Mississippi

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!

Mold number?

Not trying to hijack a thread, but can anyone post the RCBS mold number for that heeled bullet? I have the same "Martini Cadet Problem" and had no idea they made one.

Boolit Man
    I had mine rebored and chambered for .357 Mag. Works great, shoots great. neat package with all sorts of options to play with.

Maybe get a looser sizer die (less working of brass), and larger expander ball, and lap out a mold or get a custom mold made by mountain molds?
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    3006guns

RCBS No. is310-120-RN. Midway # is 172-217.

I have the NEI mould for the 310 heeled boolit and it is a fine shooter in both of my cadets.

Danth,

+1 on getting the right mould for the Cadet. They are a real joy to shoot when you get all the ingrediants together.

swamp

Boolit Buddy

mold

I also have the RCBS mold and my Martini will drive tacks! Even killed a small buck with it a few years ago! The toolman.

Boolit Master
    JMtoolman,

What load are you using in your 310?