Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Heavy Bullets in .45 Auto Rim

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Not a heavy bullet, but it is 45 AR...

Sierra manual shows an Auto Rim load for 185gr Winchester JHP (I hope this crosses over to the XTP) over Unique at 1050-1100fps. Doesn't show pressures, and there is no warning/suggestion/admonition to not use the load in an M1917 New Service revolver.
    It is not my intention to use this load for punching paper, just the occasional critter.

Thoughts? Hints? Suggestions?
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    Don't have my load data here right now but do recall a load I had for the S&W 25-2 with the Sierra 185 bullet that was going in the 1200 fps area... Pretty sure it was with IMR4756...

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Nothing that fast in my Sierra manual, and it is new enough it doesn't list 4756. Bet your load is a real thumper!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Attachment 316412 This is the boolit of choice in my 625-3 with AA#5 powder. It is 253 grs from Accurate mold 45-253M and it's super accurate.Is it a heavy boolit? In an AR it is about as heavy as I would want and the advice about not driving it too hard in 1917 guns is spot on. The fact that this thread has more lives than a Halloween cat is a testament to just how good a round the AR is.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    This is the boolit of choice in my 625-3 with AA#5 powder. It is 253 grs from Accurate mold 45-253M and it's super accurate.Is it a heavy boolit? In an AR it is about as heavy as I would want and the advice about not driving it too hard in 1917 guns is spot on. The fact that this thread has more lives than a Halloween cat is a testament to just how good a round the AR is.
    Great looking boolit, nice job of casting.

The AR and ACP revolvers are the ultimate in development of the revolver. There may be more powerful, higher capacity, etc but these combine the right amount of power, portability and function. A 4” is my edc.

“…Is it a heavy bullet?…”. I feel the answer depends on how fast you want to push it. You can easily load a 270 or even 300 grain boolit as long as you can live with 600-700 fps. If you want faster, you need to load lighter boolits.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

This is a fine OLD thread wrapping itself around a fine OLD cartridge. While I'm not a fan of 'heavy for caliber' or in this instance, for the relatively small case, I find 35Remington's last line in his post from July of 2009 mirrors my experience: "Lighter bullets with less inertia, such as the various 185 grain target type SWC's of good bearing surface, may be shot of softer alloys with good results."...My choice is the H&G #68 at 200 gr and will add that a 200 gr LSWC at 850 fps or more is no slouch as a defensive round and is superbly accurate in my Smith Model of 1955. Best regards, Rod
    Rod

Boolit Master
    Did anyone else see a late '60s/early '70s Guns and Ammo magazine article
    Titled " the 45 ARM , as in 45 Auto Rim Magnum?
    I had dabbled in such loads back then with my Model of 1955 S&W.
    I recently revisited my 1970s handloading logbook and am now again working with the basis of that Article in G&A.
    Will share something on this probably next week.
    beltfed/arnie

I use the Lyman 45 Auo Rim plain base bullet sized to grove which shows as a 236grain in the old Lyman cast bullet manual but actually casts at 252 grains over AA-452 or WST in my six inch 25-2 and in my 45 ACP custom long slide for pin matches..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B1B09EA9-FB29-4361-9E16-83B176AE6CEE.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    Since this thread is ancient, the data below may be a repeat. I came across on old Handloader’s Digest while looking for something else. Took a pic.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8487.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	316641

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tejano View Post
    Since this thread is ancient, the data below may be a repeat. I came across on old Handloader’s Digest while looking for something else. Took a pic.
    Interesting that they consider the Model 25-2 and the Model 625 to be different strengths. You can use the 45 Super in both.

Likewise find some 45 Super recipes with a heavier bullet and give them a try in you Model marked (in the yoke cut) revolver.

Kevin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    Did anyone else see a late '60s/early '70s Guns and Ammo magazine article
    Titled " the 45 ARM , as in 45 Auto Rim Magnum?
    I had dabbled in such loads back then with my Model of 1955 S&W.
    I recently revisited my 1970s handloading logbook and am now again working with the basis of that Article in G&A.
    Will share something on this probably next week.
    beltfed/arnie
    Arnie,

Anything to share?

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    Interesting that they consider the Model 25-2 and the Model 625 to be different strengths. You can use the 45 Super in both.

Likewise find some 45 Super recipes with a heavier bullet and give them a try in you Model marked (in the yoke cut) revolver.

Kevin
    That is interesting. I'm guessing they're considering the 1955 revolvers just a little softer than those 625s that arrived starting in the 80s?

I don't know how accurate that is, but that's all I can think.

That Is interesting, I was assuming that the strength would be the same. Be nice to know just to know.
    I started with the 625 loadings using a NOE 452-304-RF and bullseye in auto cases. Got up to 715 fps with bullseye when life interrupted, making the project on hold. But I looked this thread up as I’m hoping to get back to it in the next couple of days. One thing is I have been using a COL of 1.383 which is I believe one tenth longer then standard of 1.280. So the extra room really isn’t there making the volume about the same as the Lee 255 grain.
    I’m thinking that moving to a slower powder might be the way to go. I also just picked up a 454-292 NOE which might be a better fit.

Name:	BC19075D-98E0-4F04-A989-536A349ED4DC.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	317346

Name:	43764386-D3F9-4021-A549-76B25D648FC4.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	317347

I also have a model 1950 which will more then likely be using a225 to 255 grain bullet which will probably shoot to the sights a lot better. I have molds from 160 to the 304 so lot of options.
    I bought a used 625 5” in 1990 and sold it a couple years later to help finance another project which I’m sure has gone down the road. But ran into a 625 model 1989 4” and grabbed it. Every since I sold the 5” I have been looking for another but, money and a used 625 never seemed to happen at the same time. This one has found a home.

I also have a model 1950 which will more then likely be using a225 to 255 grain bullet which will probably shoot to the sights a lot better. I have molds from 160 to the 304 so lot of options.
    I bought a used 625 5” in 1990 and sold it a couple years later to help finance another project which I’m sure has gone down the road. But ran into a 625 model 1989 4” and grabbed it. Every since I sold the 5” I have been looking for another but, money and a used 625 never seemed to happen at the same time. This one has found a home.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456