MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GB C358-180-RF vs log

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

GB C358-180-RF vs log

Below see a log section which the Group Buy C358-180-FP penetrated through-and-through @ 1650 fps. Alloy was aaww. RTL weight was 190 grs. Powder was Lil'Gun. Firearm was my new 10" 357 mag T-C barrel. The log is exactly 13 1/2" in diameter in the spot where the bullet went through it. There's a ballpoint pen in the entrance hole and one in the exit hole.

I place my Chrony in my front yard and stand on my porch and shoot through the screens at a downward angle. The bullets hit the yard behind the Chrony like little bombs, blowing a big hole and blasting chunks of dirt 20 feet straight up. I decided a hole that big wasn't good, as I would have to fill it, so I rolled this log section in front of it to catch the last bullet.

Was I surprised? You bet. The log's been in my yard exactly a year and isn't rotten at all. I don't know what kind of tree it was, but it wasn't soft pine. I'm thinking I won't have to worry about penetration on ol' Mossy Horns in his thicket.

Neither do you have to worry about a grumpy hog in the thickets. Whatever that bullet lacks, it ain't penetration. That big wide meplat ought to provide plenty of "whack".

I think that bullet @ circa 1600 fps would go end to end through a hog.

Boolit Master
    That's one dead log for sure. I need to try that out of a Marlin.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Banned

better keep shootin the log till it falls over, it may yet charge!

Credit

Who designed the GB C358-180-RF mold? I want to give them credit in the article.

Junior,

I just did some trading to get this mold. Isn't this the same one you wrote about on your website? The LARS design? If so, I have been drooling ever since I read your article.

I think the mold was delivered today. I will be casting tonight, maybe earlier than that.
    He who knows best knows how little he knows.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    Who designed the GB C358-180-RF mold? I want to give them credit in the article.
    Junior, I honched the first run, The design was the usual group buy process with multiple contributors. If I recall correctly, 45 2.1 did the drawing. There have been several runs since but you got one of the first batch.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

So to whom do I credit the design and not make anyone mad at me? Leftoverdj as first honcho and Glen Larson as CAD man? Multiple contributers as designers? It's one of the best group buy designs, so the proper people should be acknowledged.

Re: Fire stick: It's the same mold from the 2005 article.

Boolit Buddy
    That is the bullet that I use for cowboy silhouette. It sure does make the chickens fry.

I load 12 grains of IMR-4227. My alloy is 8 parts WW and 1 part linotype, water quenched. Weighs 185 grains with the gas check.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    Junior, depends on how much space you are willing to use. If you want just a line, credit Glen for execution. If it's part of an article, it would be well worth a paragraph explaining how the group buy process translates a concept into a finished mould. There are a lot of people who are not aware of the process and who would be interested.

I'm in awe of the process. When a dozen or so experienced casters reach a consensus, you have a good design. The group buys that have been less than successful have tended to be radical designs by one or two people who managed to persuade enough others to sign on.

Boolit Master
    Junior ... that pic looks like you are shooting into a "soft" maple log. Could you retry it with a "hard" maple log and let us know how it goes? LOL
    Good shooting and good casting.

Nighthunter

Banned
    Glenn Larson "the lube guy" designed that boolit.

Banned

Glen Larson came up with the design first if I remember right.

Boolit Master
    Max, Blammer, I bow to your better memories. I was involved in a number of group buys at that time and seem to have confused who did which.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftoverdj View Post
    Max, Blammer, I bow to your better memories. I was involved in a number of group buys at that time and seem to have confused who did which.
    If I hadn't honcho'ed a buy for this design...I would have forgotten also.early onset CRS

Junior, just for kicks, try that same test, maybe with 2 logs, at 1,000 fps. I discovered recently that both my Saeco 352 boolit (.358 @ 245gr) and Lee .309-200 will penetrate over 24" of mostly dry alder firewood, at 1,000 fps, cast from ACWW, and the boolits are almost shootable again afterwards. (I cut my firewood at 24", the penetration is end to end.) I tried again at 1,300 fps, and got 1/3 to 1/2 LESS penetration. I guess the higher velocity was enough to deform the boolit.

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    Glenn Larson "the lube guy" designed that boolit.
    Ok, Glen will get credit for the design, and I'll credit Leftoverdj as the first honcho.

Yondering, one log is plenty for me. All I need to know is, Don't worry about penetration on a deer or hog.

Boolit Master
    Junior:

Is this the bullet ?

Jerry

S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post
    Junior:

Is this the bullet ?

Jerry

That looks like the version I have from what I think is GB #3(?) The boolit shoots great in my Smith 686, but has to be seated just a bit above the provided crimping groove. I shoot it with 13.8grs of W296 & I'm rewarded with 1 hole groups when fired from a rest at 25 yards. My next range trip will see me trying it at 50 yards, then it'll be clays at 100 I've been working toward something this accurate since I started casting several years ago.

I do know of somone on this board that has killed several deer with it out of a 686 & a GP100.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast