Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Globe sight for 1895 Marlin?

Boolit Master

Globe sight for 1895 Marlin?

I have an 1895 Marlin CB 26" bbl. I put a williams FP receiver sight on this thing but with the sight set almost all the way up it's still a foot low @ 100 yards with the factory front sight. Anyone else have this problem? I would like to put a globe front sight on. Any ideas on exactly what to put on it? BTW this is with 405 gr cast loaded with 26 gr of 2400 w/ a 1/2 grain of dracon fiber fill. With this low point of impact with 405s I haven't tried any 500s yet but would like to.

Boolit Master
    Ebner
    Go ahead and try them 500's. The longer dwell time in the barrel during recoil may make them print higher.
    You say you have the cowboy model so does it have the front sight dovetailed into the barrel or on a ramp like the standerd model? As I recall the CB model has a realy tall front sight dovetailed into the barrel. If so you just need a slightly shorter front blade. If your on a ramp the same principle but your more limited to how far down you can get it.
    BIC/BS

I have same problem with my 1895G.I will try shimming the rear sight,to correct it.
    500gr boolits may help also,as Bullshop suggested.

Kaj

Boolit Master

The Lyman #17 Globe Sight comes in two heights. .404 and.494 It comes with 8 different inserts to choose from The insert is held in place with a threaded cap. (3/8" dovetail only)
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    The front sight on the cowboy is a tall one with no ramp. As soon as some gas checks come in I will try those 500s.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ebner glocken
    I have an 1895 Marlin CB 26" bbl. I put a williams FP receiver sight on this thing but with the sight set almost all the way up it's still a foot low @ 100 yards with the factory front sight. Anyone else have this problem? I would like to put a globe front sight on. Any ideas on exactly what to put on it? BTW this is with 405 gr cast loaded with 26 gr of 2400 w/ a 1/2 grain of dracon fiber fill. With this low point of impact with 405s I haven't tried any 500s yet but would like to.
    OK, according to the Lyman literature I have in front of me that came with my Lyman 57SME, to correct for a -12" drop in trajectory at 100 yards with a rifle with a 29" sight radius(as in your case with the CB) you will need sight adjustment of .0968". The front sight in our Cowboys are .500" in height, and if you remove that .0968" from the factory front blade, you get a corrected front sight height of .4032". Now if you buy the Lyman #17 AHB front sight, which just happens to be .404" tall, you will be at about the perfect sight height for your application. If you find that the impact is still a little low with this sight, you can take the insert out and just touch the post with a file to drop the height of the post and bring your bullet impact up to the desired point of aim. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Best regards,

Kevin