Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: .351 Winchester S.L - Model 1907

Win 1907 .351 S.L.

Back from the dungeon...

Anyone fired any rounds lately?

I've got to dig thru some stuff and reclaim some fired and some newly formed brass.

I'm hopeful for another outing w/ 351 S.L.
    Sprue ™

Boolit Master

Been on a trip for a little while.

Grumble on the old Shooter's forum had one and his would shoot the straight .357 Mag case without modifying the extractor groove.

I've looked at .38 AMU cases and they'll chamber but are pretty short. I've been planning to try some but havent yet.

I was wondering the other day how you were coming along with your .351 project./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by Sprue View Post
    If my memory is right, I believe that someone said that they didn't even cut the extractor groove.

Beagle ......... for where art thou ? Please chime in.

Roger
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

I have some rounds setting there waiting to shoot other thinks keep getting in the way mostly weather but the other day I lost the screw from the sight on my 1911 and am trying to find a new rear sight or screw to a triangle sight for vertical adjustment.

HAVE YOU LOOKED INTO TRIMMING .223/.556 CASES FOR THE 351?
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

I've heard this can be done but you'd also have to neck ream or they'd be thick. Sprue's method is the more commonly accepted method.

The .351's fun to play with but I'm kinda getting tired of playing with mine. About time to move on to something else./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    I have some rounds setting there waiting to shoot other thinks keep getting in the way mostly weather but the other day I lost the screw from the sight on my 1911 and am trying to find a new rear sight or screw to a triangle sight for vertical adjustment.

HAVE YOU LOOKED INTO TRIMMING .223/.556 CASES FOR THE 351?

Boolit Master

Beagle my original 351 cases have thick cases the same as .556 military brass when trimmed without turning.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

Mine are pretty thick too. About like the military .30 Carbine brass. Heck, give it atry and see what gives. I've looked at the dimensions and compared them and there are differences but the .351 seems to be pretty forgiving as to dimensions.

I have about a box of the modified .357 Max brass .351s and about 400 once fired ratholed thanks to KYwoodwrkr so I'm not out hustling brass./beagle

Boolit Master

I got a small bag of 351 brass back in the 1970's at a gun show I think I gave $10 for brass and reloading dies. I also have some boxes of factory load 351 the few I have fired seemed quite hot ejecting shells very far and recoil was noticeably more then reloads. Trouble is I never find the cases when hunting so looked for substitute and set some spent 223 next to 351 and thought those are close taking measurements I decided it was worth a try. THey seem to work well but have only used minimum loads so far with 160 gr bullets.
    Another problem I encounter is the cases with copper primers have mercury in them and that effects the zinc in the brass and it often splits either after firing or when reloading.

You didn't mention where they're splitting. What about annealing them ?
    Sprue ™

Boolit Master

Yeah, mine throws them about 20 feet also. I shoot against a building side so that I can recover them. That would make a potent little deer cartridge if the rifle wasn't so blamed heavy. Reminds me of toting a Thompson SMG./beagle

Boolit Master

I anealed my old brass and it did all right./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by Sprue View Post
    You didn't mention where they're splitting. What about annealing them ?

Boolit Master

Sprue They split just above web lengthwise on the case it is weakening from mercury annealing will be no help. Also to close to web to anneal. These cases do have copper primers and often nickel jackets and are very old.

beagle The current just functioning the action loads I am using drop cases next to me. Some mixed factory loads I had sent them over twenty feet I did place a sheet of plywood upright to keep them closer but discovered quickly that they are also very HOT!

Boolit Master

Yeah, plywood is the same thing I'm doing with the side of the building. I also have a army mosquito net that I set up sometines and it catches them all.

I was surprised when I first shot them that it had as much recoil as it does. Guess all those moving parts enhances recoil.

Never shota .401 and I haven't been tempted yet so I don't know about that one./beagle

Boolit Master

Moving parts are all that the gun has it fires from a unlocked breach so the weight of the bolt is all that is between you and disaster.
    The 401 is not really a lot more power I think it adds 200f/s to the 180 gr bullet.
    I saw a model 1910 (401) in a local gun shop last year it was awful tempting good thing I did not have $500 at the time.

Boolit Master

Plenty of the .401s around here in KY seems like. I see several at every gun show that I attend but thankfully, so far, no itch for them. Plenty of .351s as well. Think mine was a former Indiana Prison rifle./beagle

Boolit Master

.401 brass is easily fire-formed from 7.62X39, and loaded with .41 Mag. dies.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Master

Thanks I will keep it in mind.

I currently own two 1907 .351's and very much enjoy shooting/loading for the round.
    Found a source for bullets and that really helps!

Now I am on the hunt for a good condition .401 to go with these......very cool piece of history!

3-D

Boolit Master

threedflyer What do you use for bullets? I did not know there was a source of .351 Diameter bullets currently.

Boolit Master
    There is someone on Gunbroker selling copper plated bullets for the .351. Or see if you can find an old mold.
    I have two 1907's and am about to start reloading for them. And just found a 1910 .401 two weeks ago.

Boolit Master

I have the Lyman mold for .351 I have not used it as I find I can resize .357 bullets to 351 and they shoot quite well. I am surprised at how many people do shoot the old round yet !

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast