Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: .351 Winchester S.L - Model 1907

Boolit Bub
    $395ish I had place a bid of $389 and that held for two says

Boolit Bub
    If anyone wants to do some trading I will swap 100rnds plus cash for one of these rifles (hell If I Cant find a rifle I will sell all of the ammo)

Sprue,
    Its good to see that mold is getting used, it wasn't doing me any good. How does it cast? and have you had the chance to shoot any of the boolits?

Well hi Greg, I couldn't remember your name...... Since I already had/have 200 or so cast boolits before I bought your mold, I actually haven't cast the first boolit from your mold yet, LOL

As for the 351 I haven't had it out since last year, just too many things going on. But I hope to get back on that project soon. BTW that ole rifle feels like it weighs 20 lbs.

Good to hear from ya Greg, hope all is well down your way.

cya
    Roger
    Sprue ™

Boolit Mold
    I became a proud owner of a 351 about a week ago. I am looking for dies and would like some 357 Max brass if anyone can point me to some. Very interesting read. riceone.

Well you're in luck, you can use 357 mag dies and Midway has Maximum brass for about 25 bucks a hundered.

Here is what you are looking for

Me, I spent 70 bucks on a set of new Redding dies and I don't like 'em. Beagle, a member of this forum, told me that the 357 mag dies would work but I didn't listen.

Keep us posted..........
    Sprue ™

If my memory is right, I believe that someone said that they didn't even cut the extractor groove.

Beagle ......... for where art thou ? Please chime in.

Roger
    Sprue ™

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprue View Post
    If my memory is right, I believe that someone said that they didn't even cut the extractor groove.

Beagle ......... for where art thou ? Please chime in.

Roger
    Depends on the individual rifle. Mine doesn't need a new extractor cut, function is 100% without it.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprue View Post
    Pretty big project cutting down the rim and forming an extractor grove from 357 max brass.

Once I got the brass up to spec I then loaded three cases with a bullet only for testing purposes. I inserted 3 dummy rounds into the 5 shot magazine and did a function test by working the action attempting to chamber the new dummy loads.

Success ! all three rounds chambered and ejected flawlessly on to the carpeted floor.

Right now I only have 8 live rounds loaded for the REAL test tomorrow. If the rounds shoot and function I'll then continue the process untill I have an amble supply of ammo.

Overall my biggest concern is the brass where I provided the extractor groove. I don't like taking metal off of cases at all. Especially in that area.

My load data:

Converted 357 MAX brass

Case length: 1.380
    COAL: 1.900
    180gr Jkd RN
    Bullet dia: .351
    10.5 gr. Unique
    Winchester SR Primer
    Projected Velocity: 1520 fps

A Special thanks to all those who have contributed and guided me through out this endeavor. I've been waiting for this day for a few years now. Although I have not test fired any rounds yet, I cannot be any more happier than at this moment.

I sure hope this glean, carries over after tomorrows actual test firing.

i have the same rifle but i have no clips, can you tell me where i can buy one. the rifle is in mint condition. thanks trentonrat

No but hopefully someone here will come through for ya........ just keep on looking you'll find one.
    Sprue ™

Well there is one listed on Gun Broker. I paid 50 bucks for mine a few years ago.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=185272879
    Sprue ™

Boolit Grand Master

Also issued to the Nebraska State Patrol, he officers had a chance to buy them when they were discontinued in the 1980's????. I dis remember the exact date and may be off a few years. Alas Old age everything was just yesterday.

Boolit Bub
    I still have yet to find a rifle any who I have some brass and bullets (150+) for sale to those who are interested

Boolit Bub
    Yay I found one at a local shop for $400 bucks *happy dance* now I have got to get the cash together

Boolit Bub
    Well I am now the proud owner of a 1907 Winchester with a serial or 35XXX. (Pictures) below. overall it is a great looking rifle but I think it might have been re-blued and also the forearm has a crack but for $409 I aint complaining
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10112010250.jpg  

Boolit Bub
    also how do you reload them with 357 magnum dies? Mine expand the case way to much to use a factory bullet

Boolit Master

In Swaging you bump a bullet up in diameter sizing is reducing the diameter and I bet a call to Lee would get a die for $29 from what i see. I takes a bit of effort to size a .357 to 351 but a reloading press will do it just use case lube on the bullet first.
    I have 351 RCBS dies but have loaded with 38/357 dies but sometimes the bullet will not crimp tightly and the Lee factory crimp die for 38/357 mag will fix this .

Trentonrat try trimming some 223/5.56 NATO to length and see if they feed in your gun this is what I have been working with but have not loaded to full pressure because I do have real 351 brass for full loads. My loads are 158gr jacketed 160 half jacket and 162 gr cast at about 1700 fps.

I have loaded quite a bit for both the 351 WSL and 401 WSL.

Brass - 357 Maximum and 414 Super Mag brass are perfect brass to modify. For both, it's a simple job for someone with a lathe - reduce rim diameter and deepen extractor groove (in one operation with a profiled bit), and reduce in length.

Bullets - 38/357 Mag bullets sized down to 0.352", or 41 Mag bullets sized down to 0.406" with a custom sizer like "Buckshot" makes.

Dies - use 38/357 Mag and 41 Mag Dies, although "correct" dies are out there. You might find insufficient neck tension in the 351 (I haven't with the shortened Remington 357 Max brass) but a crimp will take care of that.

Loads - H4227 (or IMR4227 or other powders very similar in Burn Rate) is the powder. Use a full or near full case (loads are out there) and forget the other powders. As already stated, if you use too light a load, the action won't cycle properly, but there's a related phenonemom that I've observed, but not seen discussed. If you use powders much faster than H4227 (like Unique, or even Blue Dot), there are loads that will not fully cycle the action (weak or incomplete extraction), stronger loads that will, and then if you go any higher (even though the MV is quite low, say 1300-1500 fps), you will find that the action will again not cycle - it essentially "locks". What I think is happening is that these faster powders reach peak pressure much earlier than H4227, and that is causing the cartridge case to grip the chamber walls and prevent the blowback to occur. With slower powders (and even with higher peak pressures), the peak occurs later (we're talking micro-seconds) and the cartridge case is already "free" of the chamber.
    Last edited by Andy_P; 10-17-2010 at 07:01 AM.

Boolit Master

Interesting Thoughts on powder I had a similar problem with AL-8 the load worked fine when testing trimmed .223 cases functioning well then the next 20 rounds reloaded action would not cycle with same load ? Switching to 2400 made everything OK again. MY GUN does work well on minimum load like a 160 gr bullet at 1700f/s. Something many people do not realize is these guns are full blowback operation the breech is only held shut by weight of bolt and spring tension.
    I have notes in my reloading note book on blue dot because it has caused sudden pressure problems in 44 mag and 357-44 brain & Davis. I use it in 45 ACP and 12 ga with no problems at all both use less than half the pressure of the previous cartridges.

Boolit Bub
    I finnally got my .357 dies to work and I must say they do a great job. Also Has anyone tried 18gn of 296?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast