MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: .351 Winchester S.L - Model 1907

.351 Winchester S.L - Model 1907

Here are some pics of my ole Model 1907 351 Cal Winchester Self Loader. It was made in 1926. I hope to find a Lyman/Ideal 350 series mold for it one of these days.

Thanks to some members of this forum, I now have a few jacketed along with some lead boolits and some 357 MAXIMUM cases to be formed. With in the next couple weeks, I plan to fire it for the first time. Once everything comes together.

A Live Center for the Lathe will complete and enable me to finally start making food for this little rifle. Although being short in length it makes up for it as it weights around 8 lbs. The over all lenght is only 36.5 inches.

The second picture down from the top left side in the Collage shows the only battle scare or slight blemish in the fore stock or rear stock for that matter. My guess that is from where is was stored and locked down in a police rack.

My reading and research indicates that this was one of the type of rifles that was used in bringing down Bonnie & Clyde. They were also used in the Penal Systems and predecessor to the mini-14'.

All said, the history on these rifles is very interesting to say the least. Now, if this one could only talk.

Sprue ™

Boolit Master

Sprue,

Nic eto see the rifle. It will talk again just as it spoke before. We just don't undertand what it says other than the bang.

Did you getyour sizing die completed and a set reloading dies rounded up? How did the throat and bore slug?

Yep... I got the Redding dies from Midway. I have everything needed to reload now except the brass turned & trimmed.

Got the Lube Die ready to go last week. The only thing I need to do now is to convert the Maxi brass.

Thanks for your support !

Oh... I still need to bore the (lube) holes in the die and buy an O-ring. This die was my first real lathe project. Without any Do-Overs even LOL.

Last edited by Sprue; 07-16-2009 at 05:57 PM.
    Sprue ™

Boolit Grand Master

I presume that brass is completely unavailable. This surprises me, since quite a few of these
    rifles were made. Or is it that they just want so much money for brass?

Nice looking rifle. Isn't this what they used to knock off Bonnie and Clyde?

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Sprue,

You might try the die without the oring. I can get away with it on my Lube a matic if I don't go overboard on the reservoir pressure.

I am really curious to see how you fair with this one. I see these from time to time and sometimes they are cheap, especially when the collectors aren't around.

When I was a kid in the 1950s there were lots of those rifles in the various gun stores and pawn shops. There were not popular as they are heavy and use a fairly under powered round. A good used Win. 94 would cost $25.00 and on of those self shuckers would only fetch $15 to $20.

Lordy, but don't I wish I would have bought a couple of dozen.

Boolit Master
    Sprue,

You and I spoke a while back about a mold. Let me dig around, I think I might have some brass/ammo.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Buddy
    I have some .351 jacketed bullets lying around here somewhere. There yours if you want them. Ill have to dig for them.

Boolit Buddy
    I might be wrong, but I thought Frank Hammer used BAR's to stop Bonnie and Clyde.

In Remembrance

I saw one at the Elk Ciry, Ok. gun show a while back that had ben reblued and restored, with a very nice display case for $1495. It was nice, but not that nice as far as I was concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    Sprue,

You and I spoke a while back about a mold. Let me dig around, I think I might have some brass/ammo.
    Golly Gee.. you've got my attention

Yes by all means let me know what you come up with. I would at the very least like to get a price quote.

Thanks !
    Sprue ™

Quote Originally Posted by 44mag1 View Post
    I have some .351 jacketed bullets lying around here somewhere. There yours if you want them. Ill have to dig for them.
    Yep... I'm all ears here too. Let me know.

Thanks much
    Sprue ™

Ready for Test firing !

Pretty big project cutting down the rim and forming an extractor grove from 357 max brass.

Once I got the brass up to spec I then loaded three cases with a bullet only for testing purposes. I inserted 3 dummy rounds into the 5 shot magazine and did a function test by working the action attempting to chamber the new dummy loads.

Success ! all three rounds chambered and ejected flawlessly on to the carpeted floor.

Right now I only have 8 live rounds loaded for the REAL test tomorrow. If the rounds shoot and function I'll then continue the process untill I have an amble supply of ammo.

Overall my biggest concern is the brass where I provided the extractor groove. I don't like taking metal off of cases at all. Especially in that area.

My load data:

Converted 357 MAX brass

Case length: 1.380
    COAL: 1.900
    180gr Jkd RN
    Bullet dia: .351
    10.5 gr. Unique
    Winchester SR Primer
    Projected Velocity: 1520 fps

A Special thanks to all those who have contributed and guided me through out this endeavor. I've been waiting for this day for a few years now. Although I have not test fired any rounds yet, I cannot be any more happier than at this moment.

I sure hope this glean, carries over after tomorrows actual test firing.

Sprue ™

Boolit Master
    So Far, I found 7 factory rounds - let me keep digging.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Buddy
    Those WSLs (any of them) are neat. They are just dripping with early 20th century cops and robbers mystique.
    Every now and then I get the urge for one, but once I dig into what it would take to get some ammo I'm talked back out of it.

Boolit Master

Local Pawn shop had one of these rifles. Neat! He said it came from a collection. It was about 98% and I don't suspect a reblue! It also had the Law Enforcement extended mag in it. I told the Pawnbroker that I had a box of original ammo for it. He was pumped up about that. I brought it in to show him and explained it was part of my antique cartridge box collection. There were 48 rounds in the 50 rd. box. He gave me 60 bucks! That was fine by me. They were given to me. The guy who eventually bought it was a reloader. He sold rifle and ammo together. All one deal.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Mold
    I have one my DAD bought new in the early 50's. Looks pretty good. I also have 8 boxes of factory ammo.
    I would like to start loading for it, got some dies, need bullets.
    I have the assortment of Lee shellholders but the one that is supposed to fit doesn't. I think the one shown in the chart is also for 9mm. and it almost fits. Me and Mr. Dremel can prolly fix that. It is a little tite in the web.
    Any place to get bullets reasonable?

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

351 win

just remember its a blow back action,dont over load for it.I have a picture of one in 1930s photo.the man is out hunting.I will try to post as it is interesting.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Buddy
    I found some jacketed bullets, pm me with your address and Ill send them to you.

Boolit Mold

351 Winchester

When my Dad died I inherited the 351. It has the curved end on the operating rod, some have a round knob. I think the curved end is prolly later.
    Dad had short arms and had cut off the buttstock about 2".
    I found a gun that someone had drilled and tapped, broken off one of the sling swivels, etc. The buttstock was in great shape.
    Swapped it out and traded off the lesser one.
    Now it is all original; looks really good.
    CC

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast