Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: .351 Winchester S.L - Model 1907

Boolit Mold
    I am now using in my .401 7.62x39 brass, 414 super mag brass along with 6.5 grendel basic brass, plus i have 401 of new manufacture,all work, am using 27 and 28 grain IMR4227 powder and all function.
    The 351 i am using 360 dan wesson trimmed to length and sized, along with some jamison/captech brass with proper headstamp.
    So far all good, using 18 grains IMR4227, fun rifles to shoot.
    1907 351 Winchester and 1910 401 Winchester, the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Boolit Master

I have not trimmed them yet but the new .350 Legend looks perfect for making a rimless case for the .351 has anyone tried them yet?

I had been using 5,6/.223 cases the web is .002 " narrow but they work well no signs of failure.

I would call the .350 Legend the great grandson of the old .351 Winchester even went with a smaller "38" bullet at .355" .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    I would call the .350 Legend the great grandson of the old .351 Winchester even went with a smaller "38" bullet at .355" .
    Personally is wish they went with the .358 diameter. If they had I would own one.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Very Nice !
    It doesn't look good ... It Looks AWESOME !
    From your dad and a bit of a historical firearm ... It IS Awesome !

I have been to the site where Bonnie and Clyde were " Captured" ... it doesn't appear to have changed since 1934 ...still in the middle of nowhere and still no buildings to be seen ...just a lonely desolate road with that eerie looking stone monument that appears to be all shot up ... with maybe 351 Winchester Self Loading and other law enforcement bullets .
    The place gives me a strange feeling .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

The .350 Legend S.A.M.M.I. has a .358 bore size for Secs. so a person needs to actually slug the bore to see what your gun actually is some guns very between .355 - .358 . but the case needs to have the inside reamed with some brands of brass .

Oddly firing .358 in a .355 bore really does not raise pressures as much as people think and shooting .355 bullets in a .357 bore often shoots quite well .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

Yesterday I trimmed some .350 legend cases to 1.376" they as fired from a .350 Legend would not chamber the last little bit , running them into a .38/357 mag . carbide die let them chamber fine . It also stretched them .015" so they needed to be trimmed again . I pushed some 158 grain .357" J-bullets though a .351" sizer and loaded them with just under book maximum for the bullet in .357 loading data with 2400 powder and a small rifle primer. The load shot accurately and cycled well from my Model 1907 .
    I recently bought a Harbor Freight one ton arbor press* I really like using it to size bullets better then my reloading press less overall effort . I have made a couple dies for this use but a standard die with the threaded ring on it can be place upside down in the prober size opening . Unlike a reloading press a arbor press has the same leverage at all points so there is not a sweet spot at the top of the stoke .

* I tried to by a larger American made press but they were out of stock everywhere!

Boolit Master
    Do you have a chronograph? I'd be curious. For comparison, using .357 Mag brass and a .352" bullet, velocity was 1400 – 1600 fps .
    A “vintage" factory round measured 1879 fps.

Boolit Master

Battis I do have a chronograph I have not ran any loads from my Model 1907 over it yet . I can tell you from what the bullet did to a old steel wheel it far outperforms the same bullet at max load in 6.5 inch 357 magnum revolver .
    My next loads will be with IMR-4227 I also want to do a bit of capacity measurements compared to 357 - 44 B&D and possibly use AA-1680 . I use the powder in the 357-44 B&D and it gives low pressure with pretty good velocity and excellent accuracy .
    I do plan on doing some timing of loads as soon as I take the gun apart and check the buffer .
    I have some old and older ammo (Nickle copper jacket with copper primers) The few I fired really had a lot of recoil and sent cases a long way from the gun .
    I also want to shoot up the 30 some hunting loads I loaded in the mid 1990's That load was IMR-4227 under a Sierra 170 gr. JHC it was too destructive on deer but does punch though broadside .

Boolit Master
    You mentioned checking the buffers. It was probably mentioned already, but have you changed the recoil spring?

Boolit Master

I have not, the spring is pretty strong much stronger and it would be awful hard to open it takes a bit of force now .
    I have wondered about that because in one of my old books it mentions that some guns need maximum load to cycle I have not found that at all and even got 110 gr. bullets to cycle though my guess is they were moving pretty fast... The load I used yesterday was 14 grains 2400 under a 158 grain bullet and the cases dropped right next to me . (still lost one)

Boolit Master
    Changing the buffers is a good idea to protect the receiver.
    I use 17 grs IMR4227 with a 175 gr cast bullet (.352). The cases eject far and wide.

Boolit Master

Yes I just have not got around to it I go though little bursts of shooting the gun I try to deer hunt with it every ten year anniversary of it being made (1916). I took a doe with it in 1996 & 2006 saw no deer in 2006 and did not take it out in 2016 except one day because of my eyes not getting along with iron sights well!
    I used 17.5 grains of IMR-4227 under the size to .352 170 Gr JHC shell casings did not go very far .
    I took the sizer out and found it is now making bullets at .353 " so I made a new one that works in a Arbor press (1 ton) The old one will still be used on cast bullets .
    A person recently opened a page on the old guns on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/287455216543486 Not to many people yet .

Boolit Master

I have taken my Model 1907 apart Is there a set way to measure spring strength?

My buffer is toast it was dry shrunk and cracked none are available now . It looks a bit like leather BUT smells like rubber when burning a small piece.

In the middle of the night I wondered if the material from a common rubber hammer could be used?

Does anyone know the proper height of the buffer or what the gap should be with a good buffer in place?

Boolit Master
    Check this site. There's good info but it does take time for responses:
    https://vintagesemiautorifle.proboards.com/

Check out this thread on that forum. Is that poster on this forum?
    https://vintagesemiautorifle.proboar...er-replacement

When you find a suitable material to use, I'll post some pics and measurements of my rifle.

It's worth it to replace the spring:

https://www.gunsprings.com/WINCHESTE.../mID120/dID324

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resize mags & 401WSL ammo.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	292274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resize 401 WSL load weight.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	292275

I was cleaning parts of my reloading room that haven't been touched in 20+ years and came across some ammo and magazines for my grandfather's Win Mdl 10 in 401WSL. I believe the last time it was fired was about 1981. I am going to dig it our and shoot it again in the next couple of weeks. I disassembled one round. It looks like 22.7 grns?
    Last edited by LaPoint; 11-27-2021 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Additional info

Boolit Master

La Point A few are shooting the model 1910 making cases out of brass 7.62X39 cases .

Battis I had read the one thread the other has a lot more to go though It sounds like the washer sit level with the top of the cup with a new buffer . I took that measurement earlier wrote it down in my workshop .
    I am going to cut up a rubber hammer see how it does like everything else parts are short to not existing right now !

Boolit Master
    .401 WSL:
    I use 414 Super Mag brass cut to length (1.495"). I do not cut an extractor groove.
    Reduce the head diameter (.460") with a drill press and file
    I use Accurate Mold #41-208L (206 gr bullets)
    Or Western Bullets 250-gr. lead plain base #410426
    IMR 4227: 22 grs minimum
    UNIQUE – 10, 11, & 12 grs all worked.
    LARGE RIFLE PRIMERS
    Check the buffers.

I figured out the correct size for the .401 WSL buffers from this pic (Cody, WY museum).
    The cover of the cup actually sits slightly above the cup. I'll look at my .351 WSL and check.
    But, basically, anything that buffers the recoil will be better than nothing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF5355.JPG  

Boolit Master

Thank you for the picture Battis I was thinking the same about the buffer height was going to fit the bolt back in and look at were things are in relation to getting it back together .
    I did forget to mention one thing the rails of the bolt are a very tight fit over the cup that hold the buffer is that normal ? It kind of threw me in disassemble.
    My gun's receiver is just filled with what looks like gun slick as lube I am wondering if I should reuse it or go with a newer grease after I clean it up.

Boolit Master
    I'd remove that old grease. I don't use grease in mine.
    Assembling the bolt without the recoil spring to see how it goes together makes sense. I'll look at mine to refresh my fading memory. Some of my WSLs have a buffer cup, some don't.
    Have you ever reassembled the buffers and recoil spring in a WSL?

Here's the full pic of the .401 in the museum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF5353.JPG  
    Last edited by Battis; 11-28-2021 at 08:25 AM.

Boolit Master

This is a first I got it down a couple hiccups It was the buffer washer the bolt was hanging up on not the buffer cup as I thought .
    I used a rubber hammer to make the buffer I would not use the same method again I trimmed .4" of the hammer then used a 8 mm and 16 MM gasket /washer punch to pound though the material it is slightly tapered as a result but does fit well at larger end .
    I did make a buffer a bit long at .4" so there is a gap between the washer and cup. Taking measurements I would guess a buffer of .8" might even work! Looking it over well the bolt is still real close to rear of receiver ... I found a spanner wrench in my grandfathers tools that worked okay on barrel nut .
    I did inspect everything no sign or cracks the old grease in threads and gave me fits tearing down . I softened it with SeaFoam Deep Creep then used a bit of Lucas red grease ,what I had on hand and I thought would be good . Same in the receiver after I shoot a bit I will take it back apart to check buffer .
    The tip on a 5/15 steel rod with pin to hold spring was a life saver only ended up with to minor cuts both from the springs recoil and the operating rod.

I fired six shots 160 grain spear short jacket plinking rounds in a trimmed 5.56 case and three of my mid 1900's hunting loads a 170 grain JHC with 17.5 grains of IMR - 4227 under it . The plinker cases dropped right next to me easy to find as it is snowing hard with about 3 inches down recoil was mild . The 170 load kicked noticeably more no sharp slap as in the past . The cases hit the ground 10 feet away and skidded a foot under the snow these are original .351 cases it was good to find them! Both loads shot same sight setting I got the sight back in same place by luck . The 170 grain were shot offhand into a steel tractor wheel on it's side 2 1/2" 35 yard offhand group bullets passed though bot sides of the wheel .
    I did take some pictures have not down loaded them yet.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast