Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hollow point accuracy

Boolit Buddy

Hollow point accuracy

I attempted a search on this subject without success, so here comes the question. Take a given mould ie: 311291, work up your best accuracy load with the velocity recorded. Have that mould converted to hollow point. Using the same alloy and powder as the solid point bullet adjust the powder charge for identical velocity as the solid point. Will the hollow pointed bullet give better accuracy?

Trifocals
    NRA life member

"Never give in except to convictions of honor and good."
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

From my experience on approximately 70 moulds, HPing a mould almost always improves the accuracy over the solid to some extent.

I'm thinking it shifts the center of gravity of the bullet farther back which aids in stability. But, what do I know, I'm no engineer. I don't even like trains.......

In three instances: 429360, 357446 and 357443, HPing had no affact on accuracy either one way or another./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    Beagle nailed it. Bullet becomes more stable, and therefore more accurate.

Boolit Master
    Not only does the center of gravity shift to the back it is also "lowered" due to the spin. The outer edge of a spinning bullet is very much down with respect to the center. Any area of lower density caused by uneven contraction from uneven cooling cooling in the mould would likely be reduced by hollow pointing.

Beagle: Were those 3 moulds perhaps single cavity ?
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Super Moderator

...........I disremember who 'twas, but long back about the late 1850's early 1860's when the British were the kings of long range (800, 900 & 1000 yard) match shooting with their 45 caliber muzzle loaders, they discovered HPs. Even their .577 Snider used a HP Minie', but the nose of the slug was 'spun' to cause lead to close over the HP. Notice most, if not all match type jacketed bullets are HP'd. I've never tested but I'd think accuracy improvements won't really be visible until you're well beyond 50 yards.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

No, all were DC.

Now, I'll say this, they all shoot but within a certain velocity range and I may not want to use them at that velocity. I'd rather be hassle free when I'm loading and I've fired a bunch of each and arrived at this conclusion. I have better moulds and designs to use than messing with these "orphans"./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by rhead View Post
    Not only does the center of gravity shift to the back it is also "lowered" due to the spin. The outer edge of a spinning bullet is very much down with respect to the center. Any area of lower density caused by uneven contraction from uneven cooling cooling in the mould would likely be reduced by hollow pointing.

Beagle: Were those 3 moulds perhaps single cavity ?

Boolit Master

Like Mr. Buckshot said, most match rifle rounds are hp'd. On cast boolits it depends a lot on how center the hp is. But anyone offering this service should be able to have it centered very nicely.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

In Remebrance

I'm also in the camp that think it seems to help-usually. But remember that the boolit has to fit right to start with. There's no sense in going to the expense and trouble of HPing a mould that produces a boolit .003 undersize and hoping it'll turn a leading, 8" grouping boolit into a tack driver.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, opinions are like AH's....everybody has one..many would say I am one...hehe, but in my camp, I haven't found HP's to be worth the extra effort it takes to cast them. They look wicked and may improve terminal ballisitcs a little.....however, I have found that playing with the alloy improves terminal ballisitcs better than a hollow 'point'. Terminal ballistics wasn't your question..I know that. But, after having shot a pile of HP'ed cast bullets, I've never noticed a marked improvement over their solid counterparts....not enough to warrant the extra effort in casting them.

I would venture to say that when you begin to split hairs and are following the trail of the Holy Grail of utmost accuracy..yep, you'll find some solace by the fact that all match grade bullets sport a HP for a reason.......empirical evidence proves their worth. However, me thinks that the average shooter will not enjoy the enhancement of the HP until ranges are greatly extended. For 100 yards and less (rifle) the couple 10th's difference in group size doesn't warrant the effort in making the damned things.

And yes..it has been a while since I took my hiatus from CB's, my opinions on the reading of private messages by a nosey and childish Willy hasn't changed.
    I'm shufflin' thru the Texas sand..... but my head's in Mississippi

I find HP often improves accuracy. I believe the reason that most jacketed match bullets ar HP is it's the best way to form the enclosed base. Then you can tweek the HP cavity size for accuracy, but there should be little downside to a HP bullet for accuracy.

In Remebrance

Holy jumping crap!!!!! Jumptraps back!!!!! It's about time!!! Welcome home!!!!

Hows the garden doing?

Hokey-Smoke!!!! The return of Jumptrap!! Glad to see you're back.
    Rick

Boolit Master

Yeah, Jump's got a new wife and she's made him get back out in society again./beagle

Jumptrap, Where the H377 have you been Hiding?

I just hung round here and figured you'd see the light sooner or later.

Black Prince and Black Water will be along directly to Welcome you back too, I bet.

I drove by Rt 204 North of Anniston Alabama today and the wife and I gave GB the "Salute" for us and you too.

Welcome Home
    TwoTrees

"Hold my beer and watch this!!"

Boolit Buddy
    My sabbatical has not been in vain..I found other things to occupy myself. I was single for 6 years, raising my kids alone and never found more joy and reward in any other thing I ever did. I chased women in my spare time and by and by that past time grew old, so this spring I cut a keeper out of the herd and slipped my neck in the noose and said, I do.

I also picked up a lathe 3 weeks ago and I'm going to learn how to make shavings, if nothing else. I've had a dozen projects on hold for umpteen years and never could induce anybody to take them on...so by god and good luck, I'll do them myself. Expect to wait a year before I am able to show my work and not be too ashamed of it, though. If I can find a widow with a cheap Bridgeport drawing dust....I'm gonna get one of them too.

beagle has become a gentleman farmer, mowing hay and growin' vittles and such as that. I'd like to move in next door and ruin his neighborhood and if me and the wife can move our properties, I might just do that...hehe!

FRomw what I have seen on the 'net...I could probably sell half my moulds and raise enough to make a down payment on a place....have people lost their minds? The prices folks are paying for molds and equipment borders on insanity...I guess they're suffering from Obamaism.

I'm not wading back in up to my eyeballs here, but if something makes an itch that needs scratching, I might chime in.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Holy jumping crap!!!!! Jumptraps back!!!!! It's about time!!! Welcome home!!!!

Hows the garden doing?
    ...........Yeah I noticed too. First thing I did was to look at the date on the post, HA! Guess since he found hissef a woman he'll have to get rid of that 2nd warsher on the front porch to make room for another recliner!

........Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

In Remebrance

Well congratulations. My very best wishes to you both. I just hope he poor thing realizes what she hooked up with!

Boolit Buddy
    I got to looking at how many posts some of you have made........7,8, 9.......THOUSAND!????

Geezus, you fellers have had too much spare time on your hands!

Bret,.......the way I snookered Shelley.......I never brought her here to the 'treller' until after the deed was done. After she took her vows, then it was too late. I had to kick ol' Bullet and Lightning off the porch and shoo the chickens out of the front room just so I could carry her across the threshold. She complained a while over the refrigerator and washer on the back porch, until I shoved'em off and into the yard. But I give her credit........she never complains about the beer cans or the spit cups......as long as I share the snuff and PBR with her. ...she runs the sweeper over the sheets every couple weeks whether they need it or not and she dyed all my shirts brown so they didn't looked so yellered from washing them in the branch (creek, brook, etc.).

Yeah boy.....life is good, and besides that..she don't look half bad when she puts her teeth in and dresses up in them new pink sweat pants and wears that Billy Ray Cyrus T shirt I bought for her at the flea market this spring. Oh......did I mention that she's a real worker? Yessir......she bucked hay all last week just so I'd have extra beer money when I take her 17 year old sister Nerlene, to the county fair next month.......poor kid never gets to go anywhere and iffin it weren't for me lookin' out for her......well, who knows what might happen. Shelley did ask me why I bought Nerlene a Dolly T shirt and I told her that I thought them two looked a lot alike.....Nerlene and Dolly, that is...hehe!

So.......there you have it in a nutshell.

Boolit Master

Jump, does Shelly read your posts? I'd guess not...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Jump, that reminds me of the most popular pick up line on the Reservation.

Nice tooth!~

What was the topic?

;o)
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!