Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 32-20 die to purchase???

Which 32-20 die to purchase???

looking to reload a 32-20 (rifle), and was wondering what the best setup would be. A Lyman M die with whomever's (reddington or RCBS) FL 2-die rifle set --OR-- just use RCBS's cowboy setup. RCBS says cowboy set is engineered for cast, so probably has the expander already. I have heard recomendations of M die, but thought that somebody might have more experience with the cowboy set. Thanks in advance for your input.
    I'll try to limit the usual response...Don't have to money to buy BOTH.

Moderator Emeritus

I use an RCBS 3-die set and have had very good success with this set. Whatever set you decide on you definitely need an expander die.

Boolit Master

I have the Lyman three die set and basically all it does is bell the mouth. Its not a ideal sized expander like RCBS sells. Only problem with the RCBS neck expander die is that they dont make enough different sizes. They do show a .311. I just ordered one of the LEE universal expander dies, so we will see how it works. If I where to buy a new set it would probably be the RCBS cowboy set.

thanks for the input, I usually buy rcbs, but didn't know how well the expander die works.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use an RCBS 3-die set for the 32-20 rifles, and its expander spud mics @ .309". Depending on what boolit diameter your rifle needs, a larger spud might be in order. My current Marlin 94CCL prefers its boolits at .313", so I swap in a spud from the 32 S&W Long die set that mics @ .311".

One other recommendation I would make is to obtain Starline 32-20 brass. It is MUCH better than the R-P or W-W casings. I also back the sizer die off about .020" above the shell holder--chamber and die drawings don't match so well in this caliber, and that goes for both rifles and revolvers.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy

I use the RCBS 3 die set mentioned above-- when loading cast boolits (98% of the time!), I use the expander die from my 32S&WLong die set with a .314" expander, inserting it very carefully in the thin neck. This method always works, assuming you are gently. Tight expander for jacketed projectiles, and the larger one for cast boolits. I no longer have a 32S&W Long (so sad!), but the dies live on!

358wcf

Boolit Master

Would be interested to know if the cowboy die set has a larger expander than the regular set.

I like it when someone asks the question before I do, Thanks.

I have a Ruger Buckeye Blackhawk in 32 H&R with a spare cylinder in 32-20. So far I have bought 500 pieces of Starline in both calibers. Next is dies for the 32-20 as I already have Dillon dies for the magnum. I'm looking at the NOE GB for a 311316 variation boolit.

If anyone has pet loads for either I'd be more than willing to listen, there's not a lot of information out there on either one.

Commercial 32-20 sure makes a nice "crack" coming out of that 6 inch barrel...

Boolit Master

Dont know if its online but Accurate powders has a good listing on the 32-20 as well as the second edition LEE manual. The LEE manual has all the info from Accurate in it. The LEE book IMHO is one of the best books out there. Both list loads for weak guns and stronger Win-92 type guns. I do like Win 231 in the 32WCF.
    Last edited by Marvin S; 07-10-2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Moderator Emeritus

I load 4.5gr of Unique with the 311008(115gr PB) or 311316(111gr GC). Both seem to shoot well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean D. View Post
    I load 4.5gr of Unique with the 311008(115gr PB) or 311316(111gr GC). Both seem to shoot well for me.
    Thanks neighbor...

In Remebrance

Roper- Read Ken Waters "Pet Loads" articles on the 32-20. IIRC there's one for revolvers and one for rifles. Lotta info right there.

As for dies, I also use an RCBS 3 die set and a Lee Collet Sizer die. The Lee is fantastic on the older W-W/Rem brass that's so thin. The Starline brass is worlds better but still benefits from the Lee.
    Last edited by Bret4207; 07-14-2009 at 08:43 AM.

Boolit Master
    Bret, a small change in the Collet die makes it even better for cast bullets.

We can easily grind a slight taper in the mouth of the Lee collet's sizing fingers with a cheap, proper sized taper-cone shaped 1/4" shaft grinding wheel chucked in a drill. Done right, we can grind a small flair in the top end of the collet, which then leaves a corresponding small amount of unsized - slightly flared - case mouth. That flare is a good thing and, done this way, it's very consistant and requires no extra step!

I tried this Lee collet die modification as an experiment some years back when loading cast bullets in a 30-06. I liked the results so well that I later did it to all of my collet dies because that tiny bit of case flare also helps ease entry of jacketed bullets without heel damage.

When using a conventional FL size die for cast bullets, no expander is as good as the two-diameter (plus flair) of the Lyman M die (or Redding's copy of it, for their pistol dies anyway). In fact, it's perhaps the best expander made for jacketed bullets too; use it without the flare section and it won't distort necks as badly as most ball type expanders do.
    Last edited by 1hole; 07-12-2009 at 06:04 PM.

In Remebrance

Thx for the tip!

Boolit Buddy
    My youngest has a '73 Winchester and a Ruger Buckeye .32-20. Both shoot 115 gr. cast over 3.0 gr. Titegroup.

We also shoot the 85 gr. jackets out of them too.

RCBS Cowboy dies. Starline Brass.

Check out Hodgdon's data for this caliber.

Boolit Master
    I have on old RCBS set and a newer Hornady set. Either will work fine. I like the sliding part in the Hornady seater. I do use a Lyman M die, also a Redding taper crimp die. Watch out for different lengths of brass. Winchesters are usually short of the specs. And they invented the cartridge! You have to adjust the die for the different brands/lengths or the crimp doesn't come out right. For bullets, the RCBS SWC-098 or Lyman 3118. Handguns seem to want larger bullets than my rifles. A Win '92 slugs .311 while the S&W is about .314. Excellent source of data was in Handloader magazine a few years ago, by Gil Sengel. For handguns, that article, with cast boolits.
    Good Luck,
    Bruce

Boolit Mold
    32-20 cowboy expander is 0.3105"

Boolit Grand Master
    Bret mentioned "Handloader" articles by Ken Waters concerning the 32-20 WCF. The revolvers can drive you nuts with their accuracy quirkiness. Mr. Waters' recipes helped me immensely with a Colt Police Positive Special--S&W M&P--and Colt Bisley SAA. 5.5 grains of SR-4756 with 100 grain castings did the job in the PPS, while 5.5-6.0 grains of the same fuel behind 115 grain boolits run very well in the two heavier revos. All three have differing shoulder locations, so after selling the PPS and buying a Marlin levergun so chambered, I dedicated R-P brass to the S&W.......W-W brass to the Colt......and Starline brass to the rifle. That way, I can neck-size for each gun without losing my mind. This not only reduces a variable in the load equation, it also cuts down markedly on the 32-20 cases' pronounced tendency to extent longitudinally in uneven fashion. The uneven roll crimps produced under such conditions really play hob with accuracy, and trimming cases every second firing gets old in one fast hurry.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

4.2 gr Unique under the .32 Keith Group Buy 100gr boolit - 4.2 largely because that's what my Bair measure throws! This is in a S&W Hand Ejector, First Change, Target. I really can't talk about accuracy very well cause the front sight has a tendency to disappear to my eyes.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

as to dies I would not get from Redding right now as the last I have read about them the quality has gone into the cellar.
    as to brass don't use anything but starline as the others wear out fast, split and become brittle after sometimes one firing.
    As to loads I would have to look as I haven't loaded my 32-20 for a while. I do use an expander die when loading lead bullets which is most of the time. I think it is a lee expander die now as I do have a lyman and don't think it worked. Like I said it has been awhile to many other things got in the way over the last few years.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast