Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Slugging a Rifle Barrel Video

Boolit Master
    Thanks for posting this video. I had thought it was an hours long effort and have delayed because of that. I will be doing my rifle this week, whenever I get an extra 30 seconds of so available.

Boy what an eye opening video.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the video. Enlightening to me as a new cast boolit maker. I will raid my fishing tackle tomorrow and look for a egg sinker close to my my 444 and 45-70 bores and/or maybe a black power ball I have.

Banned

old rifles in bad shape

I have a OLD SMLE with a barrel that I'm sure can't be slugged, as I push a .319 ball thru it I hit 3 inch to 6 inch spots that the ball sort of fell thru to the next little bit of rifleing that was left, .319 ball came out at .317, so the rifle sits till I can ever find a new barrel or afford it, rifle dated

Boolit Mold
    I am new to casting and have some basic questions I will be needing more clarification on. The one in mind right now is about the final size of the cast bullet. When you slug a barrel and measure the slug are you looking for the largest measurement which would be the largest inside diameter of the barrel? I keep getting confused between groves and lands. Are the grooves the largest diameter and the lands the smaller or do I have it backwards?

Any way when you find the diameter from the slug do you still want the finished cast bullet diameter to still be .001" larger?

Durwood

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinedoctor View Post
    I am new to casting and have some basic questions I will be needing more clarification on. The one in mind right now is about the final size of the cast bullet. When you slug a barrel and measure the slug are you looking for the largest measurement which would be the largest inside diameter of the barrel? I keep getting confused between groves and lands. Are the grooves the largest diameter and the lands the smaller or do I have it backwards?

Any way when you find the diameter from the slug do you still want the finished cast bullet diameter to still be .001" larger?

Durwood
    You have the grooves and lands right and the boolit should be a minimum of .001 over .002 may be better.

Keep in mind " Fit is King and hardness matters when it matters ".
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
    You have the grooves and lands right and the boolit should be a minimum of .001 over .002 may be better.

Keep in mind " Fit is King and hardness matters when it matters ".

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I did not slug my .357 but do use a .358 sizer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinedoctor View Post
    Thank you for clearing that up for me. I did not slug my .357 but do use a .358 sizer.
    Try first if no leading no need to slug your barrel But if you get leading then you will need to slug the barrel of a semi auto and cylinder of a revolver.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Mold
    FYI, new URL for the referenced video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErFaJlUVs1Y

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123