Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mosin Nagant

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Donor8x56r View Post
    Is any maker producing neck sizing die for MN? I ( and maybe someone else) could use one.
    Lee will make a custom set of collet dies for your rifle for around $60; details are on their website. I've written to them a couple of times suggesting that they offer the 7.62X54R as a production item in their collet die lineup, without response.

Lee Custom Services
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Thanks I didn't know that Lee offered that die in a custom size might be the way to go.

Boolit Buddy

Neck Sizing die for Mosin Nagant

What about the Lee Load all for 7.62x54r. I believe that just neck sizes. It is cheap as well...

Boolit Buddy
    Yes,I know about Lee Custom Services.I used them already for other caliber and I will use them again.They did really good job.I was hoping someone started producing them for less since there is a lot of MN around and surplus ammo is getting harder to come by ( at least up here).

I've had good results in my M44 with 26 to 27 grains of Reloder 7 with a grain of dacron and Fed 210M primers, under a 208 grain Lyman 314299 boolits. IMR 4198 is in the same league but requires weighing each charge to come close to RL-7's accuracy. Velocity is about 1800 fps with RL-7 and about 1950 with 4198. I avoid fast shotgun powders in rifle cases due to the perhaps unreasonable fear of ringing the chamber. - CW
    Three millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us. - Patrick Henry, March 1775

Smile

We do "Fun" shoots in a rock quarry now and then, mostly pistol but some rifle, so I took a MN 1891/59 Carbine to one and it turned into the star of the show! Surplus ammo shot to the sights and the steel cores broke rocks like a convicts sledgehammer.

The M39 Finn I took along had an issue with "****" in the chamber so was hard to extract, but the trigger and accuracy was very impressive.

I really like these old soldiers!
    Regards,

WE

7.62x54 cast

Using a lymen 311413 and 20 gr of 2400 mine shoot pretty good.the target is at 100 yds.
    Last edited by Jjed; 03-21-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the RCBS neck die. Bought extra expander 's and ground them to the size needed, by putting them in a cordless drill (poorman lathe) and using a file and sandpaper to reduce the diameter.

I have one of those lathes! I even got fancy and bought me one of the ones you stand on your bench! It's a lot steadier than the portable model. But why run to the bench when the portable is always right here. I'm glad there's some hope for the Mosins, impulse buying made me answer a recent email from Widener's with a purchase. First thing happened was the nasty lopsided recrown got redone. That made me able to see that the muzzle is quite worn, so counterboring might be in order. I have a .316 version of the 311365 coming that I hope will work ok. I hope a caseful of 860 or something on that order proves useful with that bullet. I'm not changing my handle to Mosinshooter just yet, I'd probably have to get in line for that one.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    I've used a Lee Loader for MN neck sizing, but the one I own sizes the necks for .308" boolits. Maybe Lee has change that dimension over the years, as mine is several years old.
    But it does a decent job.
    A better neck sizer is the one on the old Lyman 310 tool, as it sizes necks a bit larger in 7.62x54r.

Banned

The Lyman # 311284 shoots well in mine.