Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who shoots Lar45s lube?

Boolit Mold

Who shoots Lar45s lube?

He claims his Carnauba Red lube "Produces less smoke(or none) than other lubes."

Naturally this has caught my attention as I would like to eliminate the smoke I endure while competing with LBT Blue.

Has anyone found it to reduce or eliminate lube induced smoking?

I only reload .45 ACP and use 5gr Tightgroup. Is CR compatible with 45 ACP or do I need to use BAC. Is BAC smoke free too?

Thanks for the help!

I use the Carnuba for magnum loads & BAC for the 45acp. While nop lube is smoke free, both offer less smoke than some other lubes. Part of your smoke problem is the TG. IT burns really hot & burns the lube thus causing more smoke & add'l. leading. WST is more lead bullet friendly & offers twice the volumn per charge wt. as TG.

Moderator Emeritus

I use Lars 2500+ with great results. Hardly any smoke and it leaves the barrel bright and shiney.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Master

I use his lubes exclusuvley now and love them all. Best around as far as I'm concerned, also the best prices.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I use the Carnuba for magnum loads & BAC for the 45acp. While nop lube is smoke free, both offer less smoke than some other lubes. Part of your smoke problem is the TG. IT burns really hot & burns the lube thus causing more smoke & add'l. leading. WST is more lead bullet friendly & offers twice the volumn per charge wt. as TG.
    I guess I'm one for two. Thankfully I don't get any leading.

Boolit Buddy
    I also use Lars Carnauba Red in .45ACP loads with a RCBS 45-230-RN bullet (232grs with WW) and 6.0 grains of Unique. I haven't used any other lubes, other than the lube that comes on Oregon Trail bullets, but there is hardly any smoke with my loads. I also use Carnauba Red in .44 mag and .45 Long Colt loads both light loads and heavy loads without much smoke at all with any of the loads.

Take Care,

Jody

Boolit Master

I'm using Carnauba Red in rifle and handgun and don't notice much if any smoke.
    I used 2500+ before and it had some smoke.
    LLA is like burning tires soaked in crude oil. Folks ask if I am shooting BP when I use it.

Jack

Boolit Grand Master

Smoke can come from both the powder AND the lube. Fixing one will not necessarly fix both.

That said, I have had a definite reduction in smoke going from NRA 50/50 to Red Carnauba (much less with Red Carnauba). Currently I am using an obsolete powder (5066) so that will not prove helpful to you.

I was using win 231 with excellent results but it is a bit smoky, also (not as bad as Unique, however. Hodgdon's Clays reportedly burns clean. I have a lb of Clay's powder that I won in a match but haven't used it as yet.

Dale53

Banned

clays does burn clean i have used unique in the 45 acp with the red with good results i have used unique and red in the 44 with a lot of smoke.
    the red does work though i use it as a mixer for other lubes too.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I use CR and BAC in my 38’s, 357, 44, & 45-70. Very little smoke compared to 50-50.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    I tried the LAR45's Carnauba Red to get improved groups at higher (hunting) velocities. It works and I'll stay with it. I also found that additional benefits were reduced smoke and much less mess (that tacky feeling on the boolits) when loading ammo. I expect that several of the other products in this formula range would give a similar result, but it I wanted to share my business with another board member. It just seemed like the right thing to do.

Thin Man

Banned

Carnuba red is awesome stuff. Glenn's got excellent products. We are lucky to have him...

Boolit Master
    Do you need a heater to use Carnuba red? If so, would I be better off with BAC or 2500+ for .30 Carbine boolits at 1800-1900fps? Thanks.

Don

Boolit Buddy
    I use Carnuba Red in my .357 and .45 ACP, over Clays , no smoke, no fowling, nice clean barrell after I get done.. And yes I use a heater ( an old steam iron) and I live in South West Florida whee it's normally HOtter than the hinges of H3ll.......
    Just my 2 cents..
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    Do you need a heater to use Carnuba red? ....
    I can get by without one when it is really warm, but in the winter my handloading area gets down to 55 degrees.

After I broke the pressure screw on my 450, I rigged up a simple 52W heater with a lamp dimmer to control the heat. No problems since.
    The 52W will keep things more than warm enough but takes about 3/4 hour to warm the 450. If I'm in a hurry, I warm the part of the casting around the die with a propane torch for 10-15 seconds (not enough to even discolor the paint).

Jack

Boolit Grand Master

Lars Carnauba Red has been my standard bullet lube for some time.

I lube with a Star luber/sizer and YES I use a heater with a Rheostat. My house is climate controlled and I still need a heater. A safer way to speed up things is to use a hair dryer on the body of the sizer (a heat gun is faster but you DO have to watch carefully to avoid overheating).

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master

siwel, are you using LBT Blue, or Blue Soft?
    I use LBT Blue Soft in all my loads and very seldom get any smoke. If I push the 30-06 to over 2,400 fps I do get a little smoke, but not bad.
    If going with LARs lubes doesn't cure the smoke problem you could change powders. I shoot alot of pistol and revolver loads with Unique, Blue Dot, and LiL'Gun and have almost no smoke at all.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    Do you need a heater to use Carnuba red?

Technically no, I use it and just use my Lee sizing dies when applying it. You couldn't tell from looking at the finished boolit that the lube wasn't applied professionally so to speak.

Boolit Master
    I would think that any alox/wax lube would smoke some- H110/296 -- and CR is a clean combo for me-- I have gotten some what better accuracy with softer lubes but the smoke goes up--I am using up my 800x and then will look for a powder in that range to use that is cleaner - so this interesting to me as 800x is a very good powder but quite dirty-- I usually will polish my revolver off an on so that while I am shooting I can just wipe the residue off of 800x and say 50/50

Boolit Buddy
    I used NRA 50/50 Alox/Beeswax for many years. I tried Carnauba Red for large rifle bullets (9,3, .375, .416, .458, and .470) and was delighted with it. Tried it with pistol calibers (9mm, .41, .44, and .45) and found it to work as well there. Is now the only lube I use ... so I only have to stock one kind!

Has a lot less smoke than the NRA 50/50. I do use a heater in the winter time.

Is good stuff!!!