RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The 7.5x55 Swiss

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way

RPA sight and mount

I took some photos of my K31 with RPA Paramount rear sight. The mount itself requires D&T the side of the receiver for 2 or 3 holes. The front was not drilled because that spot was sooooo hard.

The LH side view shows the sight with a 300m cast bullet setting which "covers the 4" on the barrel sight. This particular load is fairly mild, 22gr AA5744 with 175gr Saeco #315. The Gehmann adjustable iris clears the cocking piece at this height , but not lower. With my HV cast bullet load, the "0" on the elevator is at the top of the sight and allowed me to shoot 900 yards. The scale on the elevator is moveable for changing the "zero". The sight can be moved fore/aft on its base by choosing one of the (4) mounting holes on the base, and (2) on the sight.

The top view shows the sight clears the ejection port.

The sight also had an adaptor to allow the use of Lyman/Redfield/Williams small thread apertures. This really small outer diameter aperture allows a 50 yard setting at zero while clearing the cocking piece.

This sight was obtained NIB at a gun show despite being 15 years old. Its replacement, the RPA Trakker, is available in both side mount and Weaver type base mount. Many newer style "National Match" or "Palma" type sights are available from various sources.

Larry Racine from NH makes the base shown, and another that adpats the Redfield Palma and similar sights. There is another base, Lipski, that will adapt either RPA or Redfield type mounts, and is situated on the top, rear of the receiver by way of a Weaver base. This would allow moving the sight to various rifles that had a Weaver base.

My "sporter" barreled action is at the gunsmith having a Lyman WJS and receiver mated. I purchased the action with non-matching barrel cut to 20" and no stock, so have no problem making a custom with it.

Excess650;

You are justifiably proud of that sight! Wonderful stuff.

I've been over to look at the various sights showing up in eBay's receiver sight page. As you say there are Plama sights and other first-class items in there if you go looking and keep on checking.

My rather primitive modification has no aspirations to take over the place of a "real" target-type sight like yours ~ all I wanted was something that would reach 800 + yards, repeat consistently and have adequate windage capability. This sawed-off and glued-together adaption, crude as it is, will do all of that.

I might mention that, having just returned from a another range session at 834 yards with a good-shooting 30'06 that NO small-bore 30 caliber at our trans-sonic velocities will shoot very well at things over 500m; even in just light puffy conditions the little pills just drift way too much for steady hits at all.

Good afternoon,
    Forrest

I have an RPA Trakker on the back of my Tikka 595. I like it very much!

Here is its grandfather, a John Wilkes, on the back of my first K31. It replaced a Redfield International:

The eyepiece is a Parker-Hale 6-holer.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way

K31 Sporter project

Some time ago I bought a K31 barreled action with non-matching barrel that had been cut to 20-1/2". It appears that this was a new, or nearly new barrel as it doesn't appear to have any throat erosion. I just got it back from the gunsmith today. He D&T the barrel and mounted the Remington ramp front sight, and also fitted a Lyman WJS that I had in my sight box.

The stock was obtained from Gunparts or Numrich or whatever they call themselves, and doesn't have the hardware for the sling, and no buttplate. The LH side of the comb appears to have been whittled down for someone with huge cheekbones, so I didn't have a problem amputating the end.

The Lyman WJS is for a Rem 700 or Win 70 type receiver, so the contour wasn't quite right for the K31. To add stability, the receiver side and sight base got matching flats milled onto them. The enhanced mating of the parts could also have been accomplished with epoxy rather than milling.

In its current configuration, this K31 "carbine" is very handy, and noticeably lighter. I have a Boyd's sporter stock, but its going to need some inletting before I can use it.

Excess650;

Your "restored" K31, salvaged from the hack-saw sporter version is nicely done.

How well does it shoot?

Good morning,
    Forrest

I've not shot it yet, and didn't have any intention of restoring it. My thought was that since it had already been cut, it would make a good basis for a sporter without having to butcher a complete rifle.

The bluing isn't very good, and it has the importer's number is on the side. The barrel is non-matching, but may have been new prior to it being shortened.

With the partial military stock and short barrel its MUCH handier than the full length K31. The stock was cut just beyond the pressure point in the barrel channel to retain upward pressure.

I did buy a Boyd's sporter stock, and will need to inlet and glass the action in place. I'm thinking of installing screws in the forened to make for an adjustable v-block pressure point.

If it turns out to be a real shooter, it may get reblued.

**after removing some wood to clear the receiver sight, the action fit into the stock properly, but the barrel does not contact the pressure point in the forend at all**
    Last edited by excess650; 09-16-2010 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FAsmus View Post
    Excess650;

Your "restored" K31, salvaged from the hack-saw sporter version is nicely done.

How well does it shoot?

I made an educated guess on a load and took the "carbine" to the range. I have a "Group Buy" 311041 cut by Lee that has a wierd cavity in which the bands on either side of the crimp groove cast at .306" and the (2) remaining bands cast .313". The nose diameter is a full .302". I purposely chose these bullets thinking that they might act like a tapered bullet. Seated to just kiss the rifling, they make contact on the leading edge of the ogive and on the edge of the first band. This puts the GC down around the shoulder.

The first group was fired with the sights set where the gunsmith had left them, so printed low and right at 58 yards(rangefinder). I shoot WITHOUT bags, so hold the forend with the left hand, wrist on a block of wood. The right elbow is on the bench.

The 2nd group was fired after a sight adjustment to raise the elevation and move towards the left. I'm going to change to a lower front sight, and possibly a green fiber optic at that.

Excess650;

Good shooting.

That is an interesting bullet design ~ it reminds me of my 311466-430 bought on eBay that is 0.312 on all the body except for the leading band and that goes at 0.305.

This ( pardon the digression ) is the magic bullet for my Yugoslavian SKS for the same reason you site for the K31 - it seats to the bottom of the neck and engages the origin of rifling perfectly while still at the correct over-all length to feed with out fault or failure. ~ But then, RCBS 30-165-SIL in my K31 does nearly as well, less the undersize first band.

Good evening,
    Forrest

PS: Is your handle associated with 40-inch motorcycle engines?

I've been doing some load development with the K31 "carbine". Since it doesn't have much wear in the throat, some bullets are just too long. This leaves my Saeco #301 out, and causes my tapered Saeco #315 to seat more deeply than I care for. Unfortunately the 311041 won't feed from the magazine. The Ranch Dog 311-165 is too large in diameter and meplat too large to feed. The Lyman 311644 is a most excellent fit! My best load so far is 30gr H322 with F210 primers in PP cases. This is very close to the load my other K31 likes with this bullet.

The 311679 "Ardito" also fits, but I don't like its pointed nose. I think either HPing or a bump die may resolve that issue.

A 311299 with undersize nose might be a good candidate, but I don't have that mold. Likewise, the NOE K31 mold might be good, but I don't have it either.

My Lee 200gr suffers the same malady as the Saeco 301 in that its nose is too large in diameter, and too long. A bump die could solve those issues....

I'm thinking "hunting bullet" so casting softnose versions of any of these heavy designs may be the answer.

I'm going to try the Saeco #311 170gr silhouette design, but would prefer a heavier bullet.

surplus 4895

I've now shot 30-40gr surplus 4895 behind the 200gr 311644 in PP cases with F210 primers. The best groups were at 36gr and 38gr, but nothing wildly inaccurate (yet).

Boolit Master

Thanks to all who have posted in this thread. I'm bookmarking it now.

I have two K-31's and am contemplating a Swiss 96/11 or a 1911 just to have something different. I know it is a little OT but does anyone have a recommendation?

John
    W.TN

Vendor Sponsor

I have a K31. I got it from JG sales a while back. I have not shot it yet. I have dies and a box of factory ammo. Just haven't found time to take it out and make some empty brass. Have a good 'un, thecyberguy
    Are you in need a pan lube cutter?
    I make custom made cutters in a cutting size of your choice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please click on the link below . You will find a thread to post your order. Thank you.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...31#post2827331

Support our troops...they are somebody's kids!

Boolit Bub
    its not a K-31, but its chambered for that round, I've got a later model, 4-groove Hammerelli/Martini single shot "stutzen" type offhand rifle that I've been trying to get loaded and set for next seasons ASSRA 200 yd offhand matches. If anyone else is shooting these old single shot version of the 7.5 l'd be very pleased to hear from them.

(I previously posted in the single shot sub-forum but there was little or no response to a 7.5 inquiry there.)

I took it to the range day before yesterday to bench it at 200 yards mostly to see IF it would shoot'em and to empty out the brass.
    I'd run across 3 or 4 boxes of Hornady custom 7.5x55 in Frontier brass that Hornady's customer service told me was a special contract run for Graf's. I also picked up 5 boxes of the Serbian 7.5 ammo. I had already fallen heir to 130 or 140 empty Serb cases, 3 different sets of dies and a much of .30 cal jacketed match bullets.

In spite of some shooting problems, a scope (20x Unertl BL--20) that I could not get focused beyond 150 yds and a front bench-rest bag that just barely supported the barrel I was pleasantly surprised by the accuracy. I had several 3 shot groups that were darn near touching and several 10 shot groups that were under 3 inches---with a blurry scope picture and an unsteady barrel support. The rifle handled all rounds well, I went through 45 of'em and each one would practically fall out of the chamber. hopefully in another week or so I'll do another range trip (with a different scope ) for some offhand testing.

now I'm searching for a cast bullet mould, perhaps one of your group-buy moulds would work, once the gas check groove is removed; since ASSRA compititon requires plain based lead bullets. I'll be using much lighter loads, probably in the 1300-1400 fps range, strictly for offhand 200 yard matches, up to and including the 100-shot Hudson match. I'll probably be using 4759 since I just acquired 13 or 14 pounds of it.

Vendor Sponsor

now I'm searching for a cast bullet mould, perhaps one of your group-buy moulds would work, once the gas check groove is removed; since ASSRA compititon requires plain based lead bullets. I'll be using much lighter loads, probably in the 1300-1400 fps range, strictly for offhand 200 yard matches, up to and including the 100-shot Hudson match. I'll probably be using 4759 since I just acquired 13 or 14 pounds of it.

I hope you come back and list what you come up with. I will be following this. Have a good 'un, TCG
    Are you in need a pan lube cutter?
    I make custom made cutters in a cutting size of your choice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please click on the link below . You will find a thread to post your order. Thank you.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...31#post2827331

Support our troops...they are somebody's kids!

Boolit Bub
    I've been trying to locate one of the 180NOE group buy moulds with no sucess and I'm not sure when they will be produced again. So now I'm looking at a custom mould that will be a modification of the 180 gr NOE bullet or Ardito-type bullet.
    In the ASSRA type "schuetzen" matches it is common to load the bullet separately using a breech seater to press the bullet into the leade of the barrel then insert a primed and charged case. some shooters will shoot for years using a single case, reloading it at the bench for each shot. (Obviously time limits for match relays are liberal and the pace of a match is gentlemanly) Often the best accuracy is achieved with the bullet base a tenth or so AHEAD of the case mouth!!!
    With a martini type action this is very difficult to do. The germanic civilian sport schuetzen riflemen with martini actioned rifles used a "stop ring" bullet which had a slight shoulder or ring that was press fit with finger pressure into the case until the "stop ring hit the case mouth. The bullet nose would be designed for a tight fit into the leade with light but solid engraving.
    The Swiss match rifle single shots were designed to use standard military issue jacketed fixed ammo but that is not an option in ASSRA competition. So I'm considering a custom mould based on the NOE bullet, minus the provision for the gas check, adding a small stop ring to fit the small gap between the case mouth and the beginning of the rifling and adding another shallow grease groove ahead of the stop ring.
    I will have to monitor case length carefully and keep them trimmed to permit a precise fit. but since this is a very match specific rifle, offhand cast bullets @200 yards it should be manageable. However to be competitive I'll pretty much be required to shoot extended matches with a 3 or 3.5 min of angle degree of accuracy----the will be MUCH less probable.

With that tight bore and the requirements you've posted above, you're really talking a custom proposition! You wouldn't need a stop ring with the NOE, it has a swell forward of the lube groove that should act about like that. You mentioned an Ardito type bullet, Erik has the cherry for the Eagan MX4 30-ARD I believe.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Bub
    the point to the stop-ring is to keep the bullet from getting pushed back into an unresized as-fired case as you seat the loaded round into the lands.

In schuetzen-style shooting with a martini action you cant simply slide a primed and charged open case down the "ramp" on top of the block and into the chamber unless you elevate the muzzle considerably--a safety violation. With most other style types you can shove the charged case in pretty much horizontally with only a slight muzzle elevation that is accepted as safe. also with the more usual fairly straight case a light overpowder wad of dry floral foam, cork sheeting, or a disc of sheet lube can be placed on top of the loaded charge to hold it back in the case and prevent spillage. That will not be possible with the relatively large bottle necked 7.5x55 case.

Boolit Bub

handloader magazine

Just a quick note, the new Handloader (Dc 2010) has a cartridge survey article about the 7.5 Swiss that gives some good, but basic history.
    It states however that the 7.5 was only chambered in the Schmidt-Rubin rifles, apparently in ignorance of the 7.5 single shot target rifles. I just sent a letter to the editor pointing out the omission.

That article has some other errors as well in my opinion, or at least terminology I wouldn't use. Such as describing the service issue ammunition as "M90" for GP 90 and "M11" for GP 11.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I've been looking with envy at the receiver mounted peep sights on some of the pics listed on this post. I would have loved to have mounted a set of those on my K-31.

I too bought mine from J&G Sales a few years ago. My eye sight is such that I either had to mount a scope or a set of peep sights.

I tried the scope but, I just couldn't get used to the Off-Center mounting so I ended up installing a set of inexpensive Peep sights I bought at a local gun show.

I'd have to completely agree with the statement about the metal on the receiver being "HARD;" maybe go as far as saying that's an understatement.

I ruined about three of my most expensive drill bits trying to drill through the receiver on my K-31 and they wouldn't even scratch the surface.

Something I found humorous only long after doing it was the hole I drilled into my thigh during one of my attempts at drilling the holes to mount these peep sights. I figured if I rested my rifle on my lap I could tip it back and forth to keep my drill bit from wandering all over the side of my receiver.

At one point it felt like the drill bit had finally started to catch so I applied a little more downward pressure, which immediately caused the drill bit to wander right over the edge of my receiver and into the top of my thigh. (Learn From This Children)

The drill bit was so searing hot from spinning around the surface of that receiver that when it punched into my thigh it didn't even bleed. I guess it must have simultaneously corderized the wound.

I finally wised up and went onto one of the Home-Gun-Smithing forums and someone there turned me onto some info on "Hi-Roc" drill bits. They cut through that hard metal receiver like butter.

We learn these things the hard way. At least I do.

When I first got this rifle I shot it about every other weekend. It's been a good year or so since I've had it out. Having stumbled onto this post has kind of given me the hankering to take it out again.

Heck, I had forgottem I even owned a K-31 till just now. Thanks for the reminder gentlemen.

HollowPoint

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast