Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: The 7.5x55 Swiss

fa38;

Interesting loading report!

I wound up with virtually the identical load in my K31. There must be something going on here.

Good evening,
    Forrest

Bob;

Please tell us poor Wyoming types what NRA XC shooting is.

You sure have the sights for pretty much anything at all. Is there opportunity for any long rang shooting where you are?

I think I saw your modification of the standard sight way back there on some other thread. It gave me the idea of cutting down the Lyman 66.

Good evening,
    Forrest
    Last edited by FAsmus; 03-04-2013 at 10:11 PM. Reason: edit text

Boolit Mold
    I just got out for the first time with a K11 and couldn't get better than a loose pattern at 75m.

I've got the RCBS 165 sil sized to .309 seated with the first band exposed. I tried both 2400 in the 16-20 grain range and 26-30 grains of H4895 in brand new privi brass.

I know I've made some mistakes. First off I was getting filthy case necks and shoulders and sometimes more with almost all loads, with the 2400 loads giving me noticeable blow back to the face (prescription safety glasses are a cheap investment). I only used a light crimp, and I know this is likely to blame for the poor sealing of the chamber.

Next, from what I'm reading here, I suspect .309 is too small to size the bullets. I will try some of my .311 ones next time out, with the same powder charges.

Interesting rifle, though, and a very nice trigger for a military arm. Unfortunately I think it has become a gateway gun, as I've bought a K31 and am eyeballing a Steyr M95 and a Ross rifle to round out the straight pull collection, along with possibly a Swiss model 1911 rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by FAsmus View Post
    Bob;

Please tell us poor Wyoming types what NRA XC shooting is.
    A little late answering questions here.

XC = "across the course", "the course" being the National Match course.

Quote Originally Posted by FAsmus View Post

You sure have the sights for pretty much anything at all. Is there opportunity for any long rang shooting where you are?
    I have lived ten minutes from Quantico (Range 4 is 1000 yards) since 1985. That was on purpose

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Gentlemen;

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life ~ It reminds me that when I posted back there in March I'd just fired the Winter Postal for the CBA competition.

Here it is 7 months later and the results still say: "Coming soon!"

I wonder how the K31 did - and probably always will...

Good morning,
    Forrest

Boolit Master

Forrest, are you saying that the postal matches on the CBA aren't being scored in a timely fashion? I had been debating on investigating that option since it would fit in my busy schedule. Id hate to do all that and not ever see the results.

This is a great thread by the way.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

USCRA112 Did not mean to not answer your question
    Did you really mean twenty-seven grains of Varget? That seems like it's an awfully light load for that powder.
    Yes
    But have given up on it (hard to find) in favor of 2400. I think the 2400 load shoots better anyway.
    16.5 grains 2400, Win LR Primer, Hornady gas check. RCBS 165 SIL-nose cast .3995 or .300, Base bands .308 sized in a .309 die. This was my load for the CBA military matches this year.

I had about 40 bullets left over and decided to try a .310 sizing die to just size the gas check a bit bigger.

At 100 yards a very light wind from 7:00 across the range and I think about 55 degrees. Shot a different bullet for the two groups on the right and then shot the .310 sized RCBS 165 SIL bullets. I kept expecting to see a flyer as I shot the group. Good 10 shot groups are not supposed to be about luck but I think I had a bit of luck with that one.
    Attachment 88800Attachment 88801

This url shows a picture of my son-in-laws with the same load sized with the .309 die in his K31 last summer.
    http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum...08&forum_id=52

Both my son-in-law and I have shot some pretty big groups with the same load but generally it works pretty good. The group was also shot with a 16x power scope.

Fishman;

Thanks for the post.

I have not checked for a week or two but the latest issue of TFS did not have the Winter Military (last March) results. This goes along with the CBA site where it still says - "Coming soon".

I think the targets were lost in the shuffle when there was no one to score at the beginning of the year.

Good morning,
    Forrest

Boolit Master

Ahh, so not a systemic problem just one of those things.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Mold

7.5×55mm Schmidt Rubin receiver dimensions

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.5×55mm Schmidt Rubin.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	105844

I am looking for some dimension on the receiver of the 7.5×55mm Schmidt Rubin, can anyone help? Thank you in advance.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678