WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: competition and smoking

Boolit Mold

competition and smoking

Once a week I shoot a falling plate competition. Two plates, two shooters, first one to clear the rack advances.

Some guys are rather good at this, forcing me to bring my A-game. Unfortunately for me, when I do bring it, I can barely see through the smoke.

I'm using a 200gr LSWC wit LBT Blue over 5.0 grains of Tightgroup. I have virtually no leading, so It's the LBT or the Tightgroup or both.

Is Tightgroup known for being smokey? How about LBT Blue? How can I clear the air so I can see the plates?

Boolit Master
    Try switching to Winchester Super Target! I moved to it's predessor, 452AA, in the early 80's and was amazed at both the lack of smoke, versus Bullseye, the lack of fowling, same powder, and the increased accuracy, again way better than Bullesye.

Brother in law got same results as I did but wasn't able to luck into as big a supply of 452AA as I did. he tried Super Target, the replacement powder, and found identical results.

Be aware this powder does not like magnum primers or being compressed. I will suggest 4 to 4.5 grains to start with. If it's still to much smoke change lubes!

I like Solo1000 for shooting USPSA matches with lead bullets. They're still gonna smoke no matter what you do. The good thing is it burns real fast like titegroup.

Boolit Mold
    +1 for WST.

Up here in the Great White North, most of my shooting is indoor and excessive smoke from Bullseye and Tightgroup can be a problem. WST has been a great powder for me since I was introduced to it by Ray Canning, a local shooter & gunsmith. Good for .45, .40 and 9mm in pistol.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?

Canadian Shooting Sports Association Member

Boolit Mold
    If I'm picking up what you guys are putting down, Tightgroup is known for smoking and WST, Super Target and 452AA are the same powder and doesn't smoke much.

Winchester dropped 452AA because of temp. sensitivity (bass-ackwards...it got slower as the temp. went higher). It was replaced in their lineup with WST (Winchester Super Target), same burn rate, but supposed to be less temp sensitive and cleaner burning.

The powder that was previously sold by Win. as 452AA was picked up by Hodgden and is now sold as Titegroup. Same manufacturer, same temp sensitivity, same smoke, different name.

I hope that clears it up.
    Jerry

Banned

Mostly id bet its bullet lube. What i ended up doing is working up a load with cast for practice and bought a bunch of 45 and 38 cheap jacked bulk hornady taps for competition. It got so bad that a few indoor matches guys in line next to me were complaining.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Try using Clays with Carnuba RED. I load it for CAS and it is almost no smoke!
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet