WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Mihec 459122 Cramer HP

Boolit Buddy
    I'm definately interested in the design in post #19.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    Again, something else to look at more in line with your wants:
    What do you think that drawing in post 19 would weigh in a HP with a gas check?

I'm just thinking about the potential in my Siamese, or maybe the 1885, which both my Brother and I are shooting.
    Regards,

WE

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by C1PNR View Post
    What do you think that drawing in post 19 would weigh in a HP with a gas check?

I'm just thinking about the potential in my Siamese, or maybe the 1885, which both my Brother and I are shooting.
    It should weigh about the same as the HP, 350 grains. The GC doesn't significantly alter the weight. A lot depends on the alloy you use.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

For the Gould bullet, does it expand? My experience with 300gr jacketed hollow point bullets at 1850 fps or so is that they did not expand on the little deer I shot with them.

If they did expand, what alloy did you cast them with?

Quote Originally Posted by Rico1950 View Post
    I'm definately interested in the design in post #19.
    Me too.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
    For the Gould bullet, does it expand? My experience with 300gr jacketed hollow point bullets at 1850 fps or so is that they did not expand on the little deer I shot with them.

If they did expand, what alloy did you cast them with?
    WW are too hard for the Gould (the nose will fragnent off while expanding), you have too get the alloy down to about 8 BHN and they open up nicely. This boolit will open up through a thin coyote when pushed past 1200 fps and cast from a 35:1 lead/tin alloy.

Boolit Master
    20/1 lead/tin also will expand when pushed by blackpowder. The Gould was designed around binary alloys, I think. And even with the expansion, the penetration is suprising.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    Would MiHec be willing to run gc molds for those who want them and non-gc for others in one group buy? How much extra speed will a gc allow, if that's the reason some people want gc's?
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Master
    bump up

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by hiram View Post
    Would MiHec be willing to run gc molds for those who want them and non-gc for others in one group buy? How much extra speed will a gc allow, if that's the reason some people want gc's?
    MiHec has done that in the past, maybe he would do that now, but it's his call. HPs in rifles will blow the nose off and some of the shank even with full trapdoor level loads. Useing a gas check will get you a long range varmint boolit usually.

Boolit Master
    The original Gould HP was a product of the 1800's yet here we are over 100 years later and we are still familiar with it - why? Because it was such a good idea originally! This version is an improvement in that it will have a better HP and will allow casting a solid point as well.

Use it with black powder in the 45-70 and have an excellant expanding hunting bullet for deer, black bear, and such. It would also serve well in the 45-60, 45-75, 45-90 and any other 45 caliber, "Express" or otherwise. Switch over to smokeless and run it (with soft alloy) anywhere up to 1600 FPS and have a mild recoiling excellant expanding HP hunting bullet. Go to the solid version and run it as fast as you dare with the correct alloy and you'll still be putting a 45 caliber hole in anything you shoot! By varying alloy and switching between solid and hollow point it is about as close to an all purpose 45 rifle bullet as you'll get!

Personally, I doubt a gas check would improve it.

Does anyone have a good idea on how to get this one moving? I have been thinking about it quite a bit and would really enjoy using this bullet. There have been 13 of us posting on this thread and even if we all bought a mould, it probably isn't enough to make it happen.

Thanks
    Ward
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Boolit Master
    Miha would like 20 people to run a group buy, in some cases 15. There are 13 people watching closely.

Aren't there a few more yearning soles out there drooling for this bullet?? And a Honcho??

I would be interested in this bullit.

Will this boolit suit a Marlin 1895XLR pushed to about 1800 - 2000 fps with wax CG.

Please feel free to give me all the advise you like as I am real new to this game.

I have not purchased a rifle yet but if this group buy goes ahead I might as well get on the band wagon now.

What's the diameter of this boolit?

Will the mould have those pins that slide out when you remove the boolit (the ones you can turn over to make HP of FN)?

Joel from Australia

Boolit Master
    joel0407
    I am not familiar with a "wax CG" could you explain.

Bullet diameter as has been discussed is .460 which should allow sizing to fit most 45-70 rifles correctly. The Cramer style mould would be the one with the pins that slide out and can be reversed to cast HP or solid point boolits.

More experienced shooters here tell us that HP's don't do well at higher velocity as the HP's shatter rather than expand. Top velocity of the solid version would be limited only by your alloy and rifle.

If you are new to the 45-70 rifle you might adjust your velocity demands down as the cartridge does a great job on game at more modest speeds. I have taken several head of game with black powder cartridges and have gotten complete penetration with the bullet exiting the animal.

Ward
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Boolit Master
    There are 16 different subscribers who offered feedback. Can we get a few more people and make a buy out of this??

Quote Originally Posted by WARD O View Post
    joel0407
    I am not familiar with a "wax CG" could you explain.

Bullet diameter as has been discussed is .460 which should allow sizing to fit most 45-70 rifles correctly.

Ward
    Sorry I meant Wax Gas Check(GC) or Soft Gas Check. I have never done any of this before so I can only plan what I will do from what I read. Apparently I can buy a wax sheet or card and use the mouth of the case to punch out a gas check before seating the boolit.

You mention sizing. Will I need to size these boolits after I cast them before I use them?

Boolit Master
    joel0407
    Some use a card wad under their bullet to protect the base from the effects of the blast when using black powder. I don't believe it would be a good idea to use it with smokeless powder.

I generally do not size my bullets for use in my blackpowder rifles. I pan lube them and shoot them as cast. This works well for me. I also cast a lot of boolits for handgun use and with these I always use a lubesizer.

Once you get your rifle you will have to slug the barrel and determine what bullet diameter will work best for you.

You will have to lube these boolits but you may not have to size them.

Ward

So how many people are needed for this to go ahead?

I would be interested in post #19. Plain base, 350 grains as a hollow point.

Brian

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast