MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let's design a .351 Paper Patch Boolit

Banned
    I actually personally handled that cherry in Babs pic yesterday when I was at his house. I was there getting some very gratious hands on instruction on firelapping101.

The cherry needs some flutes yet, but it sure looks nice.

357maximum <---------------------chomping at the bit in eager anticipation.

Banned

Update

Once Bruce gets the cherry done the .351 ppatch/.348 plinker design will be available here: http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...ad.php?t=58620

Quote Originally Posted by BABore View Post
    Soon to be realized.
    Would you folks mind if I posted your pic on another forum to show the folks how a cherry is made? (It is your pic and if you don't want me to, I will respect that).
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Ok, the cherry is done and proofed. I have listed the specifics in a post on the Vendor Sponser forum.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...880#post659880

Banned
    The moulds are ready to be ordered..NO GROUP BUY NECESSARRY.....All you need to do is go down to BRP's spot in the vendor sponsor area to see where to send your check.

Boolit Buddy

Congratulations to all those who have put their minds to the task!

I've been following this thread with great interest. Soooo, just so I'm sure of what I'm going to be ordering, would one of you guys confirm what I'm thinking....

For my .35 Whelen; the boolit, as cast, will have a OAL of 1.143, it will weigh (+/-) 261gr, and have a diameter of .351...all depending, of course, on my alloy.

Please tell me I'm right!!

Thanks, Russ...
    When it comes to Muzzle Loaders, Black Powder Matters.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    For my .35 Whelen; the boolit, as cast, will have a OAL of 1.143, it will weigh (+/-) 261gr, and have a diameter of .351...all depending, of course, on my alloy.

Please tell me I'm right!! Thanks, Russ...
    Russ, looking at the drawing BABore posted, you will see a 35 Whelen length that is shorter than the one you chose. That one fits 357 Maxs bottom of case neck to throat engaugement for HIS rifle. The length and weight you chose are correct from the drawing, BUT, you need to see what fits your rifle. The length you chose may let the patched boolit seat below your case neck, OR you can always patch it shorter to fit..

Boolit Buddy

I currently shoot the 358009 and have for some time been considering sizing it down to .352 and patchin' it back to .3585

I just measured a 286gr 358009...again, and the OAL is 1.144...

I guess what I'm saying is I wanted the heaviest / longest PP boolit I could get for my 1:12 twist barrel, and I thought the above drawing might have reflected one particular length that looked like it just might be the "cat's meow".

Right now I have the Lyman 358009 @ 286gr. the SAECO 352 @ 250gr, and the RCBS @ 205 gr. The thought has always been to size 'em down, patch 'em back up ...but, with this new mould, and the possibility of getting just about exactly what I've always wanted, with two / three less steps, it just seemed to good to be true.

What now...coach???

Do you still see any reason this loooong boolit wouldn't work?
    Of course I don't know if it would work or not, at least 'till I played with them a bit, but I have a strong feeling that if the 358009 would fit (length wise) then why would BABore's boolit not work?

What am I missing on this length thingy? Just when I think I've got the answer, progress seems to up and change the question...hardly seems fair, dontcha think?

Russ...

I currently shoot the 358009 and have for some time been considering sizing it down to .352 and patchin' it back to .3585

I just measured a 286gr 358009...again, and the OAL is 1.144...

I guess what I'm saying is I wanted the heaviest / longest PP boolit I could get for my 1:12 twist barrel, and I thought the above drawing might have reflected one particular length that looked like it just might be the "cat's meow".

Right now I have the Lyman 358009 @ 286gr. the SAECO 352 @ 250gr, and the RCBS @ 205 gr. The thought has always been to size 'em down, patch 'em back up ...but, with this new mould, and the possibility of getting just about exactly what I've always wanted, with two / three less steps, it just seemed to good to be true.

What now...coach???

Do you still see any reason this loooong boolit wouldn't work?
    Of course I don't know if it would work or not, at least 'till I played with them a bit, but I have a strong feeling that if the 358009 would fit (length wise) then why would BABore's boolit not work?

What am I missing on this length thingy? Just when I think I've got the answer, progress seems to up and change the question...hardly seems fair, dontcha think? Russ..

As long as the patched length on the boolit is about the same as the bearing body length on what your useing now with the 358009 (and that one is long), you should be ok. The 358009 boolit is too long (since the GC and bands above it intrudes into the case body quite a bit) in some 35 Whelen rifles I know of. The object with patched is to try to have the patched boolit at the base of the neck and the front end of the patch engraved into the rifling throat. One way to check is to seated the 358009 backwards and let the rifle seat the boolit to depth, then measure from the end of the boolit to the base of the case neck. That would be your ideal patched length which you can compare to the BRP drawing. Not knowing the length and shape of the throat on your rifle, I don't know more.
    Last edited by 45 2.1; 09-14-2009 at 02:04 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks bud....never looked at it quite like that.

I will do as you suggested with seating the boolit backwards. If I understand you right the measurement I'm looking for is the distance from the end, or base, of the now "reversed" boolit, to the top of the case neck.

You said; "then measure from the end of the boolit to the base of the case length".....are we saying the same thing?

Sorry to be such a pest and so dang burn bothersome, but sometimes here lately it seems I need a bit more explaining on such matters.
    Whoever said age 70 should be your "Golden Years" must have been on the outside looking in....cause it sure ain't turning out that way once you're on the inside!

Thanks for taking the time!

Russ...

Thanks bud....never looked at it quite like that.

I will do as you suggested with seating the boolit backwards. If I understand you right the measurement I'm looking for is the distance from the end, or base (GC end), of the now "reversed" boolit, to the base of the case neck (where it joins the shoulder).

You said; "then measure from the end of the boolit to the base of the case neck".....are we saying the same thing?

Sorry to be such a pest and so dang burn bothersome, but sometimes here lately it seems I need a bit more explaining on such matters.
    Whoever said age 70 should be your "Golden Years" must have been on the outside looking in....cause it sure ain't turning out that way once you're on the inside!

Thanks for taking the time! Russ No problem at all.

Please don't take this as condesending, cause it's not meant to be at all. Make sure you use a GC on that boolit when measuring, or use a PB boolit for it. We want you to get that distance measured right.

Banned

Talking whooooeeeeee thems purdy boolits

I have the first fruit-of- the-mold sitting here waiting for me to get time to wrap, load and shoot them. they sure is purdy.......

Bruce you have outdone yourself again.THANK YOU for providing me something I could not get otherwise.

FOLKS:
    These can be ordered anytime now...just print the form in the vendor sponsor area for BRP and mail it in or give BABORE a holler as I do not think he has his catalog updated...I know he has several new designs (including a cute little GC 22cal) that are not on there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123