RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range lead - A problem??

Range lead - A problem??

I was talking with a fellow caster the other day and the subject of range lead came up. He told me that he did not use it because of the sand/dirt in the lead. He was concerned that even after you melt and flux it there were still particles of sand/dirt in the lead that would scar your barrel.

I have a good bit of range lead but now am concerned about using it!! Some one set me straight on this, Please!!

Boolit Buddy
    nope melt it down, flux and skim off the stuff that floats. flux again and skim, pour into bars. done. Everything lighter than lead will float to the top.

Boolit Master
    use it. melt it in something other than your casting pot. flux good. if it is not lead it will come to the top. dip it off and make ingots to use in your bullet pot. it is best when it is free.

Boolit Master

Poeple have been saying that for years about wheelweights too. Just flux and don't worry about it.

Boolit Master

I used range scrap for years!!!!
    Good stuff.
    Get it good and hot, skim off the crud. Do not use flux. If you skip the flux step the lead does not solder to anything. It all floats up. Skim it off, ingot it, and have a ball.

Thanks guys -- however, some are saying to flux and others say skip the flux!! Help me undersstand, please!!

Can't really answer whether or not to flux. I alway do it as it brings some of the dirt to the top!

I've never had any problems smelting range lead. Yes there is a lot of dirt, but then again wheel weights contain zinc weights, valve stems, cigarette buts, brake dust and all kinds of dirt... can't see why a little sand from range lead should be worse.
    The artist formerly known as Wiking

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I’ve smelted several batches of range scrap and it came out very clean. Your buddy doesn’t really know what he’s talking about. I don’t think it would really matter if you fluxed it or not. I did.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

You'll get good lead whether you flux or not. Run the temperature really high and use flux and you will recover some of the oxidizes (a good thing -- especially the tin)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by captain-03 View Post
    I was talking with a fellow caster the other day and the subject of range lead came up. He told me that he did not use it because of the sand/dirt in the lead. He was concerned that even after you melt and flux it there were still particles of sand/dirt in the lead that would scar your barrel.

I have a good bit of range lead but now am concerned about using it!! Some one set me straight on this, Please!!
    These are the same dumbarses that say WW will wear your barrel down more then copper even through lead has a lucubrating effect and is softer.

Just think about it. Sand of nearly any makeup will be so light it will be forced to the surface with greater ease. If you doubt this throw a dry rock in a 10 pound pot or more and try to hold it under with a stick. You will see a surprising about of force being generated. With a good flux and skim the impurities are very very low.

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    But.. but... what if you have pulverized depleted uranium sand in your range-lead smelt?
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

I suppose that sand could be trapped at the sides of the pot by the lead pushing against it. That is why we scrape the edges of our pots and stir vigorously while fluxing. If you dont believe this can happen, skim your melt until very clean on top. Then give sides and bottom a good scrubbing with a clean utensil. Where did all that mess come from?
    Even IF this did happen it would shor nuff be impossible for said piece of sand to be carried into the mold and end up on the boolits surface. Right?
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Easier with a ladle but dang near impossible with a bottom pour...
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Grand Master
    It works fine. My pistol boolits are almost exclusively range lead. They shoot fine, no leading,
    no casting issues.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mroliver77 View Post
    I suppose that sand could be trapped at the sides of the pot by the lead pushing against it. That is why we scrape the edges of our pots and stir vigorously while fluxing. If you dont believe this can happen, skim your melt until very clean on top. Then give sides and bottom a good scrubbing with a clean utensil. Where did all that mess come from?
    I do this as well. Its usually rust particles and ash about as hard as rotten wood. Never the less its good to get it else it will gum up your spout.

But I do notice you always hear this stuff form people that don't cast who heard it from a guy that lived next door to a guy whose brother that used to cast and it eat us his bore fast. Never mind he was loading 20% over max in a 220 swift then cleaning with straight ammonia or brake cleaner but hey it was the wheel weights that wore out his barrel right?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ironsights View Post
    But.. but... what if you have pulverized depleted uranium sand in your range-lead smelt?
    You will have armor piercing cast boolits! You can take out those "Black Helicopters" and the armored personal carriers also.

my goal when I goto the range if I am by myself is to come home with all my brass and hopefully someone elses, plus I spend a few minutes at the berm with a collander with large holes and a coffee can to fill with berm lead. Then all I have to buy is powder and primers.
    Paul Graham
    Clean-um, Prep-um, Pack-um, Load-um, Bang-um

Boolit Buddy
    If you don't flux you will skim off any tin and antimony (GOOD THINGS) in the mix as both are lighter than lead !

Hipshot

Boolit Master

I always try to bring home more lead than I brought to the range. Sometimes I get a little behind because other shooters are there. Sunday nights after a windy day I go out here and make up for my losses.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
    If you don't flux you will skim off any tin and antimony (GOOD THINGS) in the mix as both are lighter than lead !

Hipshot
    True, but IME range scrap is a lot of fmj which has little to no tin or antimony in their soft lead cores to worry about. No one has been specific as to what composition they are dealing with. Not sure that I've ever lost any antimony to oxidation. Just use sawdust and a stick to stir it in good, scrape the bottom and sides of the smelting pot, this fluxes the oxides back in AND cleans and the same time, no worries about sand or grit. Skim off the ash, done.

Gear
    Last edited by geargnasher; 06-16-2009 at 08:33 PM.