Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Powder for 44mag Hunting in Cold Weather?

Boolit Mold

Question What Powder for 44mag Hunting in Cold Weather?

I'm kinda new to this site...but would like some opinions on what powder to use for my 44mag in the cold extremes of Michigan hunting weather like 10 -30deg.F. I am using the CB from rcbs 44-250 Kieth style at 245g hard Lino. It shoots OK with 23g of H110 but it is filthy and I've heard it is iffy in cold weather? Also I have lots of CCI standard LP primers...would like to use them as well....
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Welcome! I tend to use faster burning powders in the 44mag for hunting loads. Whayt are you shooting it out of? Here in PRI (peoples repubik of illinois) we can use only handguns, so I use lighter loads. Using Lino you must be shootin a rifle?

Boolit Master
    H110 is usually clean maybe it is your lube -- and since you are using lino you will have to push them hard enough to get them to obituate-(slug up)I have some Lino but never use it so I do not know how much one needs-- H110/296 can I have read slow down some in very cold weather - -you can contact the powder makers they will be glad to answer-- I have used AA#9 no problems and h110/296 -- 2400 is dirtier to me-- I have not used the newer powders but as to some what faster powders- Herco /and especially 800x have done well but are very dirty -make sure of your crimp - and use a less or non alox based lube as it seems they will leave a little residue - good primer and that is my .2 I like that bullet-- - oh and check bullet size to gun --any of these things can can effect residue

I like H-110 and W-296 but use more W-296 lol. But in cold weather with this powder you should use a MAG Primer. I think every reloading book I have seen says that you need a MAG Primer with this powder. If the temps are a bit warmer then a Standard LP is fine. Say above freezing lol.

Sorry I am in South TEXAS so I do not need to deal with such cold weather lol. But the HEAT will Melt you lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Mold
    I am using a Taurus Raging bull - 8 3/8 " barrel. I tried #2 alloy but the bullet weight went way up to 262g and when I approached 22-23g h110 I got sticky cases... but these were the dirty loads also. I tried from 21-23 in half grain increments but only got good groups at 23g...But now I have had the chamber throats reamed to about .4295 as they were .428 which were too tight the barrel slugs at about .4305...gunsmith says use lino without gas checks??
    Thanks

Boolit Mold
    Oh also I am using a moderate taper crimp followed by a heavy factory crimp just too be sure...

Boolit Master
    Your standard LP primers would be the real deal with 2400.

And I would bet that you could get better cold weather performance with it than you would with H110.

Now many shooters swear that H110 and WW296 are the same ........... I assure you they are not!

And one of the differences is that WW296 burns cleaner. In my guns ......... H110 has been more accurate so there is a trade off.

I would try 2400 with standard primers. You might try Federal standards ..... the priming mix runs hotter in cold weather and cooler in hot weather.

And I would also entertain trying VV110 ..... a faster version of H110 and AA 9.

AA9 is often overlooked. I don't know which style of primer would be best with the Finnish VV110 or the AA #9.

I would also try WW296 and it should be lit with magnum primers.

I run the RCBS 250K and I like a softer slug. Alloy #2 is about the hardest I run in a handgun.

Best of luck

Three 44s

Boolit Master

You might try AA#7, 2400, or Power Pistol.

Herco and WSF are great cast boolit magnum powders if you don't need absolutely maximum performance. I use them for .45 Colt "Ruger" loads; 255's at about 1300 fps. I'm not a hunter, but that ought to take anything smaller than a buffalo.

Boolit Buddy
    Any of the ball powders is going to be harder to start in cold weather, so I would go with 2400 as it will start just as well with standard or magnum primers. Just develope your load with a specific primer and stick to it.

2400 has been around forever and is still used by many today so there has to be something to it. . Give it a Shot .

Sorry I have no feed back on 24OO as I said I am in South Texas lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Banned

if you like 110 and it is a good powder just switch to a cci 350 and you will have no problems. thats the only primer i use anymore for 110/296 and aa9/wc820 If you cant find them a fed mag primer will work also

Boolit Grand Master

I have used a bunch of H110, Win 296, and WC 820 in my .44 magnums while hunting in cold weather with NO problems. My "standard" primer is the Federal 150 or the Winchester LP (recommended by Winchester with 296 so should be just fine with the other similar powders).

I use WW/Lino 8/1 for my .44 magnum loads. I size to .430" (this will depend on your cylinder throats) and use 23.0 grs of H110 for practice and 24.0 grs for hunting. Max with my lot is 25.0 grs with a Keith 240-250.

Use normal practical loading practices and work up your load as always for YOUR revolver and components. I see NO need for Linotype bullets in this caliber but MUCH prefer a somewhat softer bullet.

I have never needed gas check bullets in the .44 Magnum.

YMMV

Dale53

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the info...all very good insight. I am going to recast with a softer lead about a Lyman No.2 with BH of 15-16 they are coming out at 255g. I'll try the H-110 again with my standard CCI primers and my Felix lube. We'll see what happens when we tackle the colder weather...

I didn't have much luck with H-110 last winter. Loads that I worked up in the summer shot larger groups though I didn't have a chronograph to measure velocities. I'm going to try some IMR-4227 this year.

have 2 loads i like one is 19.5 2400 fed standard primers with 429421 sized to 430.
    the other is 10 gr unique same primerwith 429215 sized to430.
    i have several others but these are my go to loads

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE

crime dont pay as will as politics

Boolit Master
    I had problems with Power Pistol once it got below freezing , so I saked my powder guy what he would suggest and he told me to use Titegroup in the colder weather . Might not be the hottest but it does shoot below freezing .

Keith
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

Boolit Master
    I live and hunt in Michigan and use 2400 for my all my 44 Mag cast bullet loads with no weather issues at all. Try 20.0 grains with CCI Large pistol primers. Never had any better accuracy with H-110 or 296 so I stick with 2400 because IMO it's more versatile with other calibers.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    H4227 is supposed to be very temperature stable, but you'd get slightly less velocity than with the ball powders. Probably not that big of a deal though--a Keith bullet at 1200 fps is still plenty effective.

Mike

Boolit Master
    HI
    Have used 2400,unique, & Wc820, Utah summers in 90+, winters below 0, all worked fine in my 44 W/ 250gr. Kieth swc.

Boolit Grand Master

I wonder if we are a bit "over concerned" about the temperature sensitivity of powders. When I am carrying my revolver (in Ohio we are not allowed to hunt with rifles - some of us hunt with revolvers and actually prefer to) it is on my person on top of my clothing. I use a Bianchi Hush System bandaleer type holster. Regardless, the revolver is "in the weather" but close to my skin it cannot be horribly cold, regardless of the weather.

I have never noticed a problem in cold weather and I have used one of the ball powders for ALL hunting ammo (H110, 296, or WC 820) for years and years. I leave my vehicle with the revolver on my body and do not remove it until the hunt is over. Next to my body it might get a bit cooler than body temperature (definitely) but I seriously doubt it will get cold enough to really cause me a problem. It might be interesting to chronograph our hunting loads under three conditions.

1 - Leave the revolver and loads on the loading bench in VERY cold weather
    for a couple of hours, THEN chronograph
    2 - Wear the holstered revolver AND ammo for a couple of hours in the
    same temperatures, then chronograph
    3 - In the spirit of "wanting to know" check the temperature of the revolver
    and ammo after carrying it in low temperatures for a couple of hours.

Just for the record, I am not arguing that there may be a temperature problem theoretically but under actual conditions of the hunt, I wonder...

Dale53