Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Re-lining barrels.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

Re-lining barrels.

I have the opportunity to pick up a Savage 23 (I think thats the model number, plain bolt rifle with one piece action/barrel). Unfortunately the barrel is pretty sad. Still very defined rifling, but erosion and expansion cracks running accross the lands. It will probably still shoot ok, but I like em in good nick. My old 223 was worse than this before I rebarrelled it, the rifle would shoot a reasonable 5 shot group, then started opening up from there.

I did a search but didn't come up with anything. What involved in relining? I am aware that they don't solder them any more, just use pretty fancy glue or expoxy or something.

I'd like to get this thing going as I find the 92's buckhorn sights and small game are not a good mix with my ageing sight.

I would probably be able to make money on the deal after I sell the 92.

Four Fingers.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    Is this a .22 rimfire? If so, re-lining is not a big chore for a gunsmith. Brownells sells kits for relining 22 rimfires. Centerfire rifles should be restricted to straight wall cases. Many 45-70's and the like have been relined succesfully by a small number of smiths that do it. Modern centerfire rifles with shouldered cartridges (ie 30-06, 223) should be rebarreled. Reason being chamber pressures get too high.
    Relining basically involves boring out the barrel to accept a liner. In the case of 22's, the liner can be set in place with Accraglas. With a straight wall centerfire they are usually sweated in with silver solder. Then the new chamber gets reamed.

Regards,
    Bill
    America is like a healthy body, and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within. Joseph Stalin

"Hope" is not a strategy.

Life member NRA
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Range Safety Officer

Boolit Master

What caliber is the rifle now?
    IIRC, the model 23 was available in .22 Hornet, .25-20, and 32-20.
    If it is a Hornet or .25-20 you could have it rebored for the next larger sized cartridge.
    Cost would probably be more than the value of the rifle though.

Jack

Taylor Machine in Washington relined my 95 Win in .30-40. I know where the liner is and can not see it. The gun shoots as well or better than it did when new. Relining for a bottle neck cartridge depends on how much barrel and what cartridige. It need not be restricted to straight sided cartridge cases.

One is a 25/20 and the other is a 32/20. No one does re-boring in Australia now that I am aware of. Sprinter Arms in South Australia did until recently, charged as much as a new barrel in the end.

Four Fingers.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Mold

Barrel lining

I've relined Model 92s in .25/20 and .32/20 as well as a 73 in .44/40 (with help from a machinist friend). Ordered the liners and instructions from Brownells. It was very successful. I have .25/20 and .32/20 reamers for sale. The .25 has cut one chamber, the .32 is unused. I live in Queensland. Let me know if you need any information.

Quote Originally Posted by 456eec View Post
    I've relined Model 92s in .25/20 and .32/20 as well as a 73 in .44/40 (with help from a machinist friend). Ordered the liners and instructions from Brownells. It was very successful. I have .25/20 and .32/20 reamers for sale. The .25 has cut one chamber, the .32 is unused. I live in Queensland. Let me know if you need any information.

Very interesting, I'll keep it in mind.
    Four Fingers.

Boolit Master
    456eec How much on the 25/20 reamer?

In Remebrance

I'd not hesitate to have a 23 relined. The barrel steel is nice stuff and should drill out nicely/ There are several outfits in the States that do it and liners are available from Brownells. Any competent machinist should be able to do it easily.

Nice article in this months American Gunsmith on making your own drill/reamer for relining 22rf single shot along with the set up proceedures. There is some emphasis on the importance of close fitting drill pilots. The liner is epoxied in -- The only difficulty I see with the savage is perhaps needing a longer extension for drilling from the reciever end -- -- my ha-penny

In Remebrance

That pilot is of the utmost importance. I ruined a barrel once thinking I could get away without a proper pilot. It's worth the time and effort to fit a proper one.

Thanks, still pondering about this one. Might end up getting the rifle next week.