RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Why not make your own jackets?

Boolit Buddy

Sorry I was away so long

Hello gentlemen:

Three years ago I started this thread and wanted to make bullet jackets. I still want to make bullet jackets and for the same reasons.

I was gone because the school where I work went nuts on my time. After I got back from China, I was swamped for three years in a row building a brand new degree program at the college from scratch. We now have a CNC Machinist program which I built from the ground up based on industry needs. This was so much work I had zero time for anything else at all in my life. Now that it is running smoothly and successfully, here I am back to make bullets from nothing.

Bohica, I bought a punch press! Yay, and such a deal. $25 in a thrift store. Yay thrift stores. This is a tiny little floor model punch press. It weighs about 500 pounds. I may convert it to hydraulic to get more stroke. This one only moves 1 inch.

The lead extrusion press has the frame welded up and the extrusion die material is in the lathe right now.

Sorry I have been away, duty called and I had to answer.

Barry

Boolit Buddy

We should still meet

Quote Originally Posted by Hud View Post
    Barry...I have a set of 30 cal. dies for turning tubing into jackets if you'd like to take a look at them....I'm just down the road from you in Olympia...Hud
    Hi Hud: I am sure the dies are gone, but we should still meet sometime. Let me know.

Thank you

Barry

Boolit Buddy
    Good to see you back Barry.

A little 1 in stroke press is great for blanking discs, trimming parts etc.

Keep it as is while you lean it's ways, you can always build a hydraulic press.

B.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by bohica2xo View Post
    Good to see you back Barry.

A little 1 in stroke press is great for blanking discs, trimming parts etc.

Keep it as is while you lean it's ways, you can always build a hydraulic press.

B.
    Sounds like sage advice as always. Thank you.

Barry

Boolit Buddy
    Let me know how you make out . I'm working on the same prodject.

Boolit Mold
    Barry, I still have the dies plus a hydraulic press you may want to see since your building one. Let me know when you have time for a visit.

Hud

I wish you could post some pics for us all to see!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Hud View Post
    Barry, I still have the dies plus a hydraulic press you may want to see since your building one. Let me know when you have time for a visit.

Hud
    Hi Hud:

I am off the entire month of August. I am busy tomorrow picking up 6500 pounds of steel, but after that I am ready any time. Today even. Let me know.

Barry

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by taminsong View Post
    I wish you could post some pics for us all to see!
    I will, cleaning the workshop right now.

Barry

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by GerryM View Post
    Let me know how you make out . I'm working on the same prodject.
    Making jackets or learning to use a punch press?

Barry

Boolit Buddy
    Makeing jackets on a hydraulic punch press. working on dies in carbide
    setting up tooling { die shoe} on a 2 ton Dennison press Emailed Caje and Uncle joe for information.
    I have some kind of design that will work to a point. I plan on makeing Benchrest
    Micro jackets for myself if it works out.

Boolit Buddy

Makeing jackets on a hydraulic punch press. working on dies in carbide
    setting up tooling { die shoe} on a 2 ton Dennison press Emailed Caje and Uncle joe for information.
    I have some kind of design that will work to a point. I plan on makeing Benchrest
    Micro jackets for myself if it works out.
    Hi Gerry:

Making carbide dies is way beyond what I am doing right now. Steel probably is too, but eventually will give it a go. What are Micro jackets? Is a 2 ton press enough?

Thank you

Barry

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Barry
    Yes the die maker also thought it was a bit more then i needed. So far i have the press wired up and checked over, also a new belt for the pump motor and a good size die shoe, to mount the dies in.
    The big thing is finding what sizes to draw too. Caj has one formula. but it's a bit excessive. The other stumbeling block is Material 95/5 guilding metal.
    Micro jackets, is a term Ed Shillen used to describe his jackets I borrowed that.
    Basicly they are jackets held to a very tight tolerance. Less then .0002 run out at the base .
    Precision bullets start with precision jackets.
    Part of my process may be on a reloading press also. I'm thinking pinch die trimming and maybe ironing. Later some conversions on reloading press frames.

Boolit Buddy

Wonderful day yesterday

Yesterday I went and met with a bullet maker from this very forum. It was a very informative day. I am just getting started in this game and meeting with another person interested in smashing metal into other metal to make metal things was extremely informative. I saw for the first time a set of Corbin (David) dies, gas check making dies, jacket ironing dies and a Richard Corbin hydraulic press as well as two Walnut hills, and an older Corbin vertical press.

The hydraulic press was most significant for me since I am in the process of making one. It was not rocket science.

On the way home I stopped at Cabelas and found a rifle I have been searching for for more than 20 years. A Marlin Model 29N .22 pump in really good condition. Then I went through the agonizingly inefficient time wasting process that Cabelas has invented. Waiting 35 minutes in line to be told that I am in the wrong line is not my idea of customer service. I will never purchase another firearm from Cabelas. Having been a FFL holder, I understand the need for paperwork, but that does not mean that my time is available to be wasted. My time is valuable to me, obviously it is not valuable to Cabelas. It took 90 minutes to pay for a rifle plucked from the used racks, fill out the form 4473 and get threatened with the FBI background check as though it would make me bolt three times before being given the bums rush out the front door. I have never been made to feel so unwelcome by a gun dealer. It is amazing to me that anybody buys a gun from such rude, arrogant, uninformed amateurs who are so severely lacking in knowledge about basic firearms theory and practice. If I had not wanted this gun )which was even missing parts so was a parts gun as far as I am concerned) so much, I would have told them to shove it several times.

Anyway, it was a wonderful day because of meeting a very knowledgable bullet maker and getting a gun I have been looking for for a very long time.

So ends my report.

Barry

Boolit Buddy

Hi Barry
    Yes the die maker also thought it was a bit more then i needed. So far i have the press wired up and checked over, also a new belt for the pump motor and a good size die shoe, to mount the dies in.
    The big thing is finding what sizes to draw too. Caj has one formula. but it's a bit excessive. The other stumbeling block is Material 95/5 guilding metal.
    Micro jackets, is a term Ed Shillen used to describe his jackets I borrowed that.
    Basicly they are jackets held to a very tight tolerance. Less then .0002 run out at the base .
    Precision bullets start with precision jackets.
    Part of my process may be on a reloading press also. I'm thinking pinch die trimming and maybe ironing. Later some conversions on reloading press frames.
    Please let us know what you come up with for determining jacket diameters.

Barry

For what its worth i got the pics for some time ago on this thread and bought a lathe and taught myself a little about it. The results are on youtube under my name jixxerbill. Maybe on making bullet jackets. Thanks to all who helped me. Bill
    PMI pistol range USMC 85-89

im looking for these contender pistol barrels--> 6tcu,.30herrett

barrels i have-->.221 fireball,7-30 waters,7tcu,.357 herrett,.44 mag,6.5tcu

There's only 2 people in this world i trust, one of them is me the other one's not you...

Boolit Buddy
    I'm don't plan on useing copper tubeing .
    Gilding metal disks then drawn into cups and gradually to cylinders of the proper
    diameters. Then trimed to length by the pinch off method.
    I have to talk quite a bit about the process and tool design and set up with my die maker.
    Proto types will be hardened tool steel laped to size. after initial tests the production ones will be laped carbide dies. Tool holder and body design ar still in the design stages.
    The object is to make precision dies for benchrest grade jackets.
    I will share some of the tech .

Boolit Man
    Hello all, Ive been a member here for a while but this is my first post
    Ive been swaging for just over a year now but getting hold of jackets in the UK is a nightmare so I decided to try to make my own, so far I have built a prototype set for my S press and I am particularly proud of a die Ive made that cuts a 25mm disc and forms a 15mm cup in the same operation, Im using 90/10 gilding metal at the moment because I cant get 95/5 but it draws well, I would like to post some pictures but Im having some problems so any help with that would be appreciated,

Dave.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456