Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How well does Lee Liquid Alox work?

Boolit Buddy

How well does Lee Liquid Alox work?

Anyone have any experience with it? To me it seems like a short cut that probably isnt the best idea.

In Remebrance

Do a search on "LLA", "liquid alox" or "mule snot". In many guns it works fine, in some it doesn't. There are pages and pages of information on Mule Snot here. I use it on many loads in both handgun and rifle. It works in most of them up to at least 1400 fps given good fit and a proper alloy/load combo to start with. I don't think it's the last word in lube, but it seems to be a workable alternative in the mid-range load category.

Quote Originally Posted by walker77 View Post
    Anyone have any experience with it? To me it seems like a short cut that probably isnt the best idea.
    It's a short cut that works very well for me and many others'. I've loaded well over 30,000 rounds of 9mm, 40, 38 sp. and 45 ACP rounds and used LLA on them all. The Lee push through sizer is low cost, works well and is fast as does LLA. ( I now use "XLox" sold by Lar's on this forum. Works the same.)

Welcome to the forum.
    Cloudpeak

Boolit Master

One example of many, LLA working great is in my 30-30 load:
    180 gr GC under 26-27 grs of IMR3031 tumble lubed in LLA.... Very accurate, cleaning my barrel consist of a swipe or two with an oil patch. This is after 50 to 150 rds each session.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by walker77 View Post
    Boy houdy!!! DID you open a can of worms!!!!! :
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Grand Master
    It works great in all the applications I have tried it with. This is for lubing and rust protection. The only real drawback is that is is messy. It can be thinned with mineral spirits and this has worked VERY WELL for me.

DON'T put it on to thick!! It won't dry and will be gummy in humidity.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

I too wanted to try it for my .38 special loads. That way I could use my 140gr SWC .358 as cast. Why I thought that it'd be possible to acquire something this simple in this God forsaken country is beyond me!! I called a few dealers and here's the answer I got: "LLA contains petroleum and is therefore regarded as an explosive substance and thus not possible to import to this country"!
    The artist formerly known as Wiking

Boolit Master
    EXPLOSIVE! Wow what doesn't contain petroleum these days! I've used an awful lot of the stuff and never had an explosion. I don't think the LLA even burns!!
    Maineboy

think alot of people use Alox for pistol, not so much for rifle.

Do you that use LLA have any trouble with it melting in the summer heat ?? I thought I'ld give it a try on some .225-60 gn that the GC shank it to big for seating the GC, even after beveling the bases with my Eagan beveling tool.
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

I use it for all my plinking loads as the LEE sizers are the only kind I own.

I even used it in factory duplicate loads in .30-30 and 6.5 Carcano.

So far no complaints from me

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

Lla

I use it in my 1903.I cronyed it at 1680,using 13 gr red dot and lyman 311291 also Lee 312-160 TL.it shot 1" size groups at 100 yds.
    if one dipped base in LLA and set it upright on cookie sheet it would be clean.I did that with .430 320 lee.and worked good.
    The LLA is actually a rest inhibiter for undercoating.the denmark poster may find that kind of product in his auto supply house.
    The idea is because Lee makes bullets that need no sizing so you dont need a sizer.just lube let sit over night and load.
    Last edited by TAWILDCATT; 06-18-2009 at 02:14 PM.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    I too wanted to try it for my .38 special loads. That way I could use my 140gr SWC .358 as cast. Why I thought that it'd be possible to acquire something this simple in this God forsaken country is beyond me!! I called a few dealers and here's the answer I got: "LLA contains petroleum and is therefore regarded as an explosive substance and thus not possible to import to this country"!
    Get some shipped to you from the states declared as "rust proofing compound". Without any reference to its possible use in gun applications, it should sail right through customs at your end, and there are no restrictions at this end.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

Boolit Master
    It works great with hard bullets and reduced loads using the Lee micro-band bullets that it was meant for. I also tumble lubed some soft commercially cast pre-lubed bullts that had been leading my Ruger, it stopped the leading. I'm not so sure how it would be on bullets with deep lube grooves. A lubrisizer should probably be used, then try tumble lubing them on top of that if they lead up your gun.

Boolit Master

LLA came before Lee's tumble lube grooves. I use LLA or XLOX on .45ACP and .357Mag rifle with not leading issues. The only thing that I have had to watch for is a little coming off of the nose when seating the boolits. I have to occasionally clean the seating stem in my seating die. Other than that it works great.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Leftoverdj View Post
    Get some shipped to you from the states declared as "rust proofing compound". Without any reference to its possible use in gun applications, it should sail right through customs at your end, and there are no restrictions at this end.
    Or see if you can buy it there from a chemical shop. The actual product is solvent cutback Alox 606-55HF from the Lubrizol corporation. You can buy it in a 5 gallon bucket and split it up between you and 10 or 15 of your closest friends.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

I push Lee Tl-312-160-2r's over 2000fps using LLa, lightly lubed before sizing and lubed again after. I also have shot Lee c312-185's and Lyman 314299 at high velocity using only LLA. I have never had leading in my rifle. LLa works on all types of boolits. Since then, I've begun to shoot my own homemade lube of lithium grease/parrafin 50/50 with the same results.

Boolit Master

LLA works! Period! 180gr cast gas check in 308 with 30grs 2400 and no leading whatsoever. A dry patch or two and the bore shines! My Star lubrisizer is now a safe queen. It seems to work even better on the Ranch Dog .460 boolits with similar mid range to "warm" (for cast) loads.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Gee!! They really said that??

Sounds kind of interesting. I wonder if they will tell me how to get it to explode! You know, with the Fourth of July coming up soon for those of us in the states??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

Hmmmm, you know lipstick and many cosmetics contain petroleum. Are they banned too?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast