MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Savage 25/20- barrel plumb wore out!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

Savage 25/20- barrel plumb wore out!

I have the opportunity of picking up one of these bolt guns with a very worn barrel. I can't remember the model number, 24 or something.

The rifle is a one piece action and barrel set up.

Is it feasible to lop the worm barrel out and thread up the action and fit a as new milsup No4 303 barrel (trimmed and re-threaded) then re-chamber to 32-20?

Alternately would it be easier to restore it to 25/20 by re-lineing the barrel ?

I like both cartridges and have Winchester 92 lever guns in both, but the buckhorn sights are not much good for hunting for me. I'd like one of these old bolt guns with a low powered scope fitted. A reciebver sight would be an improvement, but still not really good enough for small game hunting.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

In Remebrance

Model 23B IIRC, I have 2. Reline the barrel.

Mick, have a chat to Sprinters they may be able to do a sleeve. I'm sure they could do a rebarrel.
    Do, or do not. There is no try.
    Yoda

In Remebrance

Those 23's have a rather thin diameter receiver. I really can't see doing anything but relining. Weaver still offers bases and with a nice 2.5 to 4X scope or a low powered variable they make fantastic small game rifles.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I'll give Sprinter Arms a ring. I believe the business was run by two brothers and one died a year or two ago, forcing the surviving brother to scale back the range of work they do. I wouldn't mind buying their re-boring machines, they don't do them any more and apparently no one else in Australia does.

I have a 4x Bushnell Banner and rings which came off one of these rifles, it is a post and crosshair type, a style I am very fond of.

The rifle is not worth spending much money on really, but I like the calibre and the open sights on the 92 are holding me back some.

I should be able to sell the 92 for enough to pay for the job and buy a scope as well.

Thanks for the help, Four Fingers.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."