RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Defenseive Load for 185 g .38 Special

Boolit Bub

Defenseive Load for 185 g .38 Special

I've got some 185 g boolits from some moulds I stumbled across, ref:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=48801

I've found a load of 4.0 g of Unique (Salut) for these that is pretty accurate but they are only clocking at 650 fps. Is there another powder that I should try to try to get something with more volicity that I could also use as a defensive load?

Boolit Grand Master
    What barrel length are you shooting these through? I've used 3.6 grains of Unique with Lyman #358430 (195 grain RN) through 4" and 6" barrels, and get 675-725 FPS. That is the max listed load weight for 200 grain bullets in old (1991) Hercules data I have laying around. "+P" loading adds 0.1 grain of Unique.

The velocities aren't spectacular, but the accuracy is certainly there with the Lyman #358430. I've run this boolit to around 800 FPS in 38 Special/6" barrel using 7.0 grains of 2400. Most standard pressure loads with the 200 grain bullet weight hover at or near 700 FPS.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    That boolit is really too heavy for that caliber but if you insist I'd try 93 suggested or about 3.8 grains of red dot.

Boolit Mold

185 grn. .38 defense loads

I use a 358430, Lyman 195 grn RN bullet, with 8.5 grns of 2400 in Plus P .38winchester cases and it clocks 845 fps from my Dan Wesson, 4 inch model 715.
    This is a great self defense load. Start at 8.0 grns and work up for your gun. A good roll crimp is necessary. The top groove on the 358430 Lyman bullet, makes for a good roll crimp.
    Bob

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    What barrel length are you shooting these through? I've used 3.6 grains of Unique with Lyman #358430 (195 grain RN) through 4" and 6" barrels, and get 675-725 FPS. That is the max listed load weight for 200 grain bullets in old (1991) Hercules data I have laying around. "+P" loading adds 0.1 grain of Unique.

The velocities aren't spectacular, but the accuracy is certainly there with the Lyman #358430. I've run this boolit to around 800 FPS in 38 Special/6" barrel using 7.0 grains of 2400. Most standard pressure loads with the 200 grain bullet weight hover at or near 700 FPS.
    These were shot through a 4" S&W Model 19. I got the load from "Reloaders Reference v 9.3X74R", I worked up from 3.6 g which was clocking at about 550-575 fps.....however, this was using Russian Unique (Salut). I've made some up with regular Unique but haven't gotten them to the range yet. Sounds like 2400 is the way to go......I believe that same program has a load of 9.5 of 2400 clocking at 893......