Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: 45-70 with 2400

Boolit Buddy

45-70 with 2400

Was looking thru the Complete Reloading manual for 45-70 last night and noticed a load that used 2400. I shoot a Handi-rifle and a 74 Sharps and have been having trouble getting a clean burning powder. Both 4198 and 5744 seem to leave unburnt powder in the cases or chamber. I've even used pieces of cotton balls to keep the powder at the back of the case but still the problem persists.
    Anyhow, when I saw the 2400 load I thought I'd ask around to see how clean burning it is and if anyone else had tried it in a 45-70.

Boolit Master

I used to use it in a .45-70 Numrich barrel on an antique Remington Rolling Block rifle. If you are looking for a clean burning powder in low pressure .45-70 loads, you need to keep looking.

I used it with the Lee 405gr Plain Base bullet, using various loads from (IIRC) 22 to 24gr of 2400.

Boolit Buddy
    Sometimes the problem is not with the powder but with case tension on the bullet! Years ago I had a set of LEE .45 Colt dies that when I shot the ammo I reloaded was extremely dirty and that was with 2400 powder. I measured the expander plug and it was way, way oversized. I bought a set of RCBS dies and never looked back.

Hip

P.S. I use a load of 16-17 gr. 2400 in many smaller than 45-70 (30-30,30-06 etc) rifle calibers and it is very clean burning with my dies!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
    I used to use it in a .45-70 Numrich barrel on an antique Remington Rolling Block rifle. If you are looking for a clean burning powder in low pressure .45-70 loads, you need to keep looking.

I used it with the Lee 405gr Plain Base bullet, using various loads from (IIRC) 22 to 24gr of 2400.
    I have the same rifle as nujudge and what I found works with 2400 and 5744 is a magnum primer and a heavy crimp ala Steven Wolf's loadings for the trapdoor. 22-24 gr. of either powder is my basic load with the Lee 405HB or the Lee 340 PB boolit. 2400 burns very clean and 5744 leaves only a few kernels behind. Previously it looked like half the load was left in the barrel.

charlie

Boolit Master

I use 25 grains of 2400 and the Lee 405 grain Hollow based bullet sized .459
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Buddy
    Chuebner that's how mine is looking. I use a Lee factory crimp die and a pretty good crimp. Use the same crimp as I do with my blackpowder.
    Got some 2400 on the shelf so I'll try out a few rounds and see how it goes. Thanks

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    I liked it. I'll have to look up my load, but it was WAAY cleaner than Varget or 4198... and took less of it ta boot.

I shot 18gr in my 9.3x72R today under a 200gr RNFB Clean burning at 1550 ish.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Vendor Sponsor

I just shot quite a few 45-70 RCBS 300 Gr FN with 25 Grns of 2400 and the cases look nearly new..
    virtually no powder residue .. I like it
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    I've found that 5744 and 2400 both leave a little bit of residue in the barrel but both shoot very, very well in my 45-70's. I don't mind it, and the next shots don't seem to get any worse than what was in there after the first shot. That being said, if it bothers you, try using Reloader 7. It shoots every bit as good and maybe even a little better and burns clean. FYI...I use a small pinch of dacron with the 2400 and 5744 and it seems to burn a little cleaner with the filler than without.

Boolit Grand Master
    2400 is my go to rifle powder with cast.

I shoot lots of 24 g of 2400 under a 405 plain base cast. It shoots great at 1350 or so in my Marlin.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by jh45gun View Post
    I use 25 grains of 2400 and the Lee 405 grain Hollow based bullet sized .459
    Hey! That's my load!
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Banned

same here but my go to load has been 22 grains. A recomendation got from paco kelly. A guy thats forgot more then i know about the 4570. Ive never noticed it being dirty and if i did i wouldnt have cared anyway as ive never seen a slightly dirty burning powder hurt a thing. Id rather have an accurate load that was a bit dirty and have to clean my rifle when i got home then a clean burning load that i didnt.

Boolit Grand Master

Would really like to know how many pounds of 2400 I have shot thru my #1 45-70. Lite loads for me start at about 22 gr, and go on up mostly to around 26 gr. with 350-405 gr. blts. I also use dac fill, but that is me, and not a recommendation.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Bub
    Hi Guys and gals..i have a sharps 4570 I'm looking to load some for the range and for hunting deer and bear..I would like to have a load for the range from 25 yrs to 100 yrs and some for hunting maybe out to 150 yrs...Right now I'm loading 40 gr of Triple Seven with a 405 boolet but have to clean barrel every other shot..I see people loading with 2400..Is this for the range or hunting or both and what recipe works best...thanks mike

Boolit Bub
    sorry not yrs ..I ment yds

Boolit Bub
    load is 40 grn weighed triple seven which is 56 gr on the powder tube for black powder,405 lead boolet with bees wax filler..no leading but very dirty.I don't mean thorough cleaning just pull the snake through it.i think i'm getting 1350 fps...the load works good but thought there might be something cleaner...did a lot of searching and reading,most are using unique and 2400..I use unique in all my hand guns with no problems and have lots on hand...some use 14 grns of trailboss with 405 grn lead boolet with some filler...which one works best for u guys

Boolit Bub
    bump
    >>>>>>>>>

I get 1" at 100yd from my #1S with a 425gr. FP plain base (ww +2% tin) over 27.5gr of 2400, with the case filled with puf-lon over the powder... ave of 1550fps... an easy shooting load...i use a redding profile crimp die and crimp in the grove firmly... 2400 from my observations likes a good firm crimp to burn clean... i like puff-lon in the 45-70, use it with several powders and get good results... but have care, do your own research and work carefully...