Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BruceB's Cast Softpoints (as of MAY 2009)

Boolit Master

Exclamation Alberta excursion

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    There are many ways of creating the material for the pure-lead component. Casting smaller "donor" bullets of pure lead is one way; another is using split-shot sinkers; yet another would be measured lengths of pure-lead wire.

For my part, I have some un-used (new) stick-on wheelweights on hand. Stick-on weights are generally considered to be pure lead for our purposes. Some of these are in the 1/4-ounce size, meaning about 110 grains each. A pair of good "cable-cutting" pliers cuts these like butter. The pliers have curved cutting edges and are very sharp. They function more like scissors than pliers.

I'm about to cast some NOE 316299s as softpoints for an up-coming Alberta excursion. I want the pure-lead component to weigh around 70 grains out of the total weight, or roughly 30%. In trials, I can easily cut the wheelweights to the required weight, using my scale to ensure that the actual weight of each chunk is close to the desired figure.

Pure-lead bullets will give very consistent weights for the softpoint. So will split shot. My cut-down WW will be less so, but absolute uniformity is not all that critical....a few grains plus-or-minus won't affect much of anything.

My NOE mould is a four-cavity model, so this will be an interesting test in casting four softpoints at once. I'll let y'all know how the multiple-cavity process works.
    How did your Alberta excursion go?
    Where abouts were you hunting?
    I am living in Alberta.
    It's Jan16/2012 and its -39 degrees Farenhiet! Ouch!
    First real cold of the year.

Boolit Master
    I have an idea for some of you guys.

If you want to be able tune the weight of the soft point "exactly".

1.)Pour all your 'donor bullets you want.
    Or get your lead fishing weights/split shot.

2.) get your self a wire brush, and a fine file.

3.) put the file flat on a bench. And prepare your scale to weigh.

4.) weigh each bullet/split shot, and file off the required amount to make them as uniform you like.
    5.) after filing each donor item (bullet or split shot), use the wire brush to clean the file to prevent clogging, and difficult cutting.

This method is as accurate as you want.

Hope you guys can use this simple/useful approach.

Banned

I've been contemplating doing this with my .30-06 and the Ideal 311284. Truthfully, of all the deer I've shot, I can only think of one or two that were at 100 yards, most have been much closer. That bullet shoots very well in my rifle with the Lyman recommended most accurate load, I thnk it's about 22 grains of SR4759 giving about 1700-1800 FPS. If I could speed that up a little, it would be pushing more energy than factory .30-30 loads and with a bullet that heavy would carry more of it downrange.

I have a 32 RB mold, I'm guessing that would make balls about the right weight range for the soft nose of a 220 grain bullet, is that right? Would a 1/8th ounce split shot be about the same saving me the trouble of casting them?

Moderator Emeritus

I bought some 32 rb for less than $5 @ 100 a while back. They work great in a 30 for this project.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12