RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: felix lube and velocity??

Boolit Master
    thank you C-man, I'll shoot a cat for you this spring!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Larry--

THAT was the kind of info I was seeking to hear. THANK YOU! Intended bullet will be the Nosler 140 Partition, so after seeing where things go with Hornady and Speer 140's, I'll back up a bit and re-try with those expensive critters. It would be truly cool if some combo using WC-860 or WC-872 could achieve 2700 FPS.

I share your view that the M-96 is stronger than its reputation gives it--I just think the Ruger 77 is stronger yet.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned
    .....and the T38 Arisaka is stronger still further. I never thought of the 96's as a weak action. You can count on the Swedes using good materials to make their, probably same for Mauser too. Don't forget guys that the velocities in my 260 are with a 1-9 twist. That's makes it a tad easier. I had to lengthen my throat so keep from seating 140 grains too deep, a problem that you two don't have with a 96 Swede. I shot a deer a year ago with my 260 using a Remington bullet that I loaded over a healthy dose of 4895. I recovered the bullet to. Being it was a slightly angling shot parallet to the deers body the bullet traveled about the whole lenght of the deers body and I cut it right out of under the hide in the left rear ham.

Joe

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhalcott
    OKAY< OKAY, so lets get back to the subject! CAN fwfl go 2500 + in a 7mm or 30 caliber RIFLE? this inquiring mind wants to know BEFORE starting with it! I have 120 to 174 Cast in 7mm.Also on hand are about 6 .30 molds from a 115 to 200 grains,all GC types.
    There ya go, trying to herd ferrets again!
    I have shot .30 calibers to 2450 with no leading at all, and very good accuracy. In the .223, I've reached around 2780 fps, no leading, and 1.5" groups when I hold my mouth right.

Boolit Mold
    + 1 on the strength of the Swede. Last year my brother accidently used 44.4 gr of IMR 4895, instead of our standard 44.4 of IMR 4350 with a Hornady 129 gr. SP. Thats nearly 5 grains over max in my Hornady book! Anyway, we were shooting a battle rifle match, and he had run about 15 of those loads through his '96 before he figured something was up. He said the recoil was a little stouter than he'd remembered and extraction was just a little sticky, what caught his attention was the absence of primers in the fired brass. And, he still had a group going of about 2 inches! Don't believe he did any damage, as normal loads don't show any excess stretching upon firing. I have now idea what kind of pressure that Swede took, but she apparently wasn't fazed.
    Regards, Rick