Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: One last lathe question

One last lathe question

Well, thanks to all of the good advice I received from you guys I am almost ready to go. The bench is built, the lathe bolted down as level as I can get it. The countershaft is bolted down and the pullys are parallel (I think). The motor has had all of the electrical cords replaced, the bushings replaced and a new switch installed. I went with a regular 20 amp on/off switch in a PVC box screwed to the bench top. All of the oils (spindle, way and cutting) are in and the machine is lubricated.

All that is left is to install the belts, check to make certain everything is in the right position, say a prayer and throw the power switch.

My final question is... Do I need to lubricate those gears in the headstock? Would squirt or two of oil, but a good idea or a bad idea? My Logan manual doesn't say anything about lubricating the gears, but it sorta goes against my grain to run them dry.

As an aside, I took the motor to an electric motor shop in town which has been on the same spot for 58 years. The little motor Yoda who did the work has been at that same bench for 40 of those years. He was greatly taken with my motor, with it's cast iron housing and pronounced it in perfect shape after the new bushingsand cords. He told me it was made in the 1020s. He even took a picture of the motor to keep in the shop.

I want to thank you all for your advise and counsel. I took it all to heart and followed as best I could. Now about those gears......?

Boolit Master

A little lube won't hurt.

Boolit Master

A little anti-seize grease works good. Don't over do it or grease will fly out and make your belts slip.
    Larry

Boolit Master
    Yes lubrication of the gears is a must. I use a heavy weight gear oil as it stays on the gears.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master

NAPA sells a outside gear lube with moly in it in a spray can.

Boolit Buddy
    Another logan owner! Congrats!

Go to www.lathe.com to get more info on your logan lathe.

Scott Logan offers great customer service and is very free with his knowledge if you ask him for help with your lathe.

I have a Logan 922. What model do you have?

Lubrication on your gears is never a bad idea. Just don't put too much on the gears or it will be messy. Keep them clean and lubricated.

Andy.

I emailed Scott Logan and he said, No. 10 Spindle oil or 10 wt. motor oil, so that is what Iwill use.
    I have a Logan 400 is it a small 9X18 gizmo, but plenty of lathe for my needs.

I have been putting it to work and learning as I go. I learned today you have to grind a relief behind the top edge of the parting tool, if you want it to cut anything.

Boolit Master
    NAPA has a 10wt nondetergent oil. We use it in the gearbox of the windmill.

Super Moderator

..............The gears all have straight cut teeth so there is very little sliding going on but I also concur that lubrication never hurts. I use an open gear grease that comes in a spray can. If you were using the gears for powerfeeding or threading a lot, then a spritz or 2 every other day should suffice. Wipe off any that gets pushed out onto the side of the gears. It isn't accomplishing anything there and will build up and then get slung off.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

BTW... I checked every auto supply house, tractor supply etc, in a 20 mile radius and none carry 10 wt. oil. I live in deep South Texas hard against the Mexican border and the climate is tropical. A cold winter day is 55 degrees. Nobody uses oil that light/thin in this part of the world. I ordered out some Mobile 10 Spindle oil from Enco.

Boolit Mold
    Hi Chargar.
    As stated a little lubrication doesn't hurt on any gears,slides etc,don't over do it,otherwise you will end up with sticky,dusty messes,everyware,& every time you touch them you'll end up black,plus if oil gets on the belts,they will not only slip,but deteriate & the plies will part very quickly, because nearly all change gears are cast iron,which is self lubricating,they only needs a spray,of Molybond,or a very slight ammount of Molybond grease,occassionally.
    Inspect all steel gears occassionally,clean if warrented,and also give them a spray.