RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Badly Burned!!!

Glad to hear you're not permanently injured. I burned my left palm a few years back when a hot metal rod was slipping out of my gloved hand holding it. Natural reaction of course, CATCH IT! It was the worse burn I’d ever had, burned down to the meat, but I never, ever felt a thing. My Dr. said I burned all the nerves up. I'd done a similar thing 25 years or so ago moving a cookie sheet of rolls out of the oven, and the burn was minor in comparison, but hurt soooo bad.

I hope your pain passes quickly. And thanks for sharing your story. We all need to be reminded from time to time, that we really aren't indestructible and to follow "best Practices" at all times.........
    "So how many Divisions does this Pope have?".. Joseph Stalin

"Be not afraid"..
    Pope John Paul II

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it.
    Pope John Paul II

White,
    That is some bad news.
    Glad you will be OK.
    Just remember that it will feel alot better after it quits hurting.
    Listen to the boys in the band and have your hand looked at.

Silver Nitrate is the treatment I got from the ER when I burned my hand, and I got a big tube of it to use when changing dressing daily. It's has some antibiotic qualities, but also allows a scab to form even when the area is packed with the cream (unlike other antibiotic creams) It is the burn medicine of choice I believe.
    "So how many Divisions does this Pope have?".. Joseph Stalin

"Be not afraid"..
    Pope John Paul II

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it.
    Pope John Paul II

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Praise God you are able to sit and type.
    I was about 4 when I recived a burn on my arm from a HOT pot of lead. I never told my dad .. he had gone to get something. But it took years before it really healed and I still remember HOT Lead Really hurts. Happened in the fall so I had near 6 months of long sleeve shirt time in Michigen to keep it hid.
    I always where glasses, leather gloves, thick long sleeve shirts, long pants and leather shoes with thick socks. I sweat, but it sure beats the burns. I am now 58 and am inclined to finish life without any more scars.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

In Remebrance

Best of luck on a speedy recovery. I never allow any of the kids to be around me when I'm doing anything with hot stuff be it lead, metal welding, or boiling water in the kitchen. Some things are too awful to imagine.

FWIW- Masons gloves are canvas gloves with a knit cuff. While not fire proof they will handle the spatters up to the size of a half dollar or so and aren't clumsy and bulky or expensive.

Boolit Master

Hope your recovery is quick and glad no one else was hurt. A little tip I picked up from a young welder at work. He was actually a contract maintenance person and an expert welder. He did a little off the clock work for me such as fabricating a smelting pot. I mentioned that I wore a heavy flannel shirt when smelting WW's. He said that is wrong. Wear a denim shirt. Not one of those that have been washed before you buy them but a stiff dark blue denim. He said that weld splatter just bounced off and lead splatters would probably do the same. He practiced what he preached and wore such a shirt every day at work. I haven't tested the theory yet and hope I never do, but I'm prepared. As others have mentioned, welding suppliers have lots of stuff that is applicable to our hobby.
    John
    W.TN

Thankfully you were not burned worse, it is scary to have children around any kind of melting operation, please take care. Consider this a near miss, it could have had really dire consequences.

Good luck and I hope you heal fast, get some welding gloves, if you sit while casting, a leather apron is a good idea.
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Master

Glasses, gloves, apron and no kids. You are very lucky. Thanks for sharing your experience so that the "new crew" can learn without the pain.

See a doc. His bill is cheap compared to a prosthetic hand.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    This is probably one of the biggest reasons I never got into Ladle Pouring.

Hard to slosh a Lee Drip-o-Matic.

Ow.. Oww. Oww... Get it treated and get better, or you may run out of boolits.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Master

On my first smelting batch, I had an incident that caused melted lead to splash over the t-shirt that I was wearing. I was using used motor oil for flux and using a ladle to pour it in the pot. When I poured it in, it flashed on fire and I jumped back. The ladle had some lead it it and I ended up splashing the partial ladle of lead along with the oil on the front of my t-shirt. The lead solidified fairly quickly upon hitting the t-shirt and a quick swat with my (non-gloved) hand put the fire out. Other than an oil stain on the t-shirt, no damage. I decided to adjust my technique a bit after that...

Boolit Master
    I'm fairly new at this whole lead melting/smelting thing.. but I have many years of handling other hot liquids.. They were about 200-300 degrees cooler than molten lead, but fry oil is just as dangerous (to the skin) as molten lead is.. I don't go carrying around a stock pot full of molten lead to dump it out like we used to do when I was cooking. Yep, empty the fat fryers and have to go dump the still scaling hot oil into the oil/fat container out back. One time for whatever reason we had a spill.. and this was no ordinary spill.. it somehow dumped on my chef's pants.. quicker than you could say "Ow Ow Ow!!" I had those pants down to my ankles.. when you have a gallon or more of 300 degree oil (ok, it wasn't fresh out of the fryers) modesty goes by the wayside if you want to keep your skin. Lucky for me I was fast enough and there wasn't anything burned except maybe a lil pride.. Knock on wood.. I never have to deal with molten lead on me.. I use cotton coveralls, leather gloves for pouring, and safety glasses.. I need to get a face sheild..

sarcasm <<on>>
    The great thing about molten lead is that it burns so deeply so quickly that it kills nerves and doesn't really hurt as much as it seems like it would...
    sarcasm <<off>>

seriously top photo is within the hour of my lone stupid as hell lapse of smelting judgment
    next photo is a couple days later
    it took months to heal and for some time I was told grafts were likely to be the only way to fix it. Luckily it grew back over on its own but i changed out the silver sufadiazine 2x per day for all of last fall.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cohutt View Post
    sarcasm <<on>>
    seriously top photo is within the hour of my lone stupid as hell lapse of smelting judgment
    it took months to heal and for some time I was told grafts were likely to be the only way to fix it. Luckily it grew back over on its own but i changed out the silver sufadiazine 2x per day for all of last fall.
    Were you wearing socks or did it hit bare skin?

Ouch... I think I might switch to wearing high top boots...

Boolit Master

I guess the good thing about lead is that it won't catch your clothes on fire as readily as molten steel can... I've seen a couple of welders during shop class in high school that ended up with smoldering pants legs...
    Last edited by grumman581; 04-17-2009 at 02:40 PM.

Again
    I got a couple doctor buddies including my sister in law plus my party buddy that heads up the corners office, sustains life quite comfortabaly seeing to folks that don't take heed to friendly safety warnings.

Last edited by Just Duke; 04-17-2009 at 11:15 AM.

So sorry about your accident Cohutt. <Very sad>

Boolit Master
    We all need this wake up call from time to time. I just started wearing gloves never had such an accident up to now, just thought it's time. Glad it wasn't more serious and glad your 1 yr. old wasn't in the way.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cohutt View Post
    Originally from the photos, I thought it looked like it hit both of your feet. I thought the 2nd photo had the toes to the left instead of up. You really did a number on your foot there? Were you wearing flops at the time?
    Last edited by grumman581; 04-17-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Flip flops were put on after I did the deed.

i had finished a mini smelt of some berm nuggets, turned the pot off and taken off my canvas bib/chaps. I had the shoes on below (only time i have ever cast or smelted without boots and only time i ever will....) with cotton/synthetic blend socks.
    Picked up ladles tools etc and put in pot which had 1/2" of lead that had skimmed over. There was something moint on one of the items i put in and that's all it took. I jumped back when the exsplatterosion erupted but 2 blobs caught my left angle. One was between the tongue and the top of my ankle and the other went down towards the instep and settled in the crease between my foot and the shoe.
    both of the blobs melted the synthetic in the socks/shoes and stuck exactly where it landed. I'd have been better off if i had the flip flops on as the lead would have hit and bounced off, probably lightly burning vs the almost full thickness burns that i ended up with.

here is the top burn- nasty but much less so than the lower one.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast