Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Beagling mould and gaschecks????

Boolit Grand Master

Question Beagling mould and gaschecks????

For those of you that are beagling their moulds.
    What are you doing to fit the gaschecks flat to the bottom of the bullet????

You can start by annealing the GC's and see if that's enough. If not, some are flaring the GC with a ball bearing and hammer. Slow, but that's the price you pay for a *** undersized mold.

In Remebrance

BA said it. Sometimes the Beagled part is small enough that it doesn't make too much difference. But then I have a couple non-Beagled moulds that require a bit of finesse to get he GC on.

BTW- Annealing works great! The GC's look like crap, but I think they work a lot better annealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    BTW- Annealing works great! The GC's look like crap, but I think they work a lot better annealed.
    Seal them up in a 2-3 inch pipe nipple with end caps. Fill it full of GC's and add a piece of tissue paper. The paper burns off the oxygen and keeps the GC's shiny. When done, pour from hand to hand while blowing the burnt up paper pieces away. Note: too much heat will curl the thinner GC's. Don't ask how I know that.

I am usually able to get the checks on by laying the lubrisizer wrench across the die nut and pressing the check against it. With practice, it doesn't slow down the process very much.

Boolit Master

Forgive my ignorance. What is "beagling?"
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

I let my pet beagle mess with (on) the mold to get it seasoned. (or, do a search for "Beagling) It is shimming the mold to get it to throw larger boolits.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master

I seat my checks using a GC seater after expanding them if I'm having very much difficulty...very easily. If the GCs come close to fitting, I just slap them on and nose first size. That bottoms them out nicely. Crazy Mark made us some adapters and punches that fit a single stage press. The punch fits in the shell holder and a modified die body holds either a Lyman or RCBS sizing die. You just punch them through and there's no doubt as to the GCs bottoming out.

Essentailly an adapter that gives you Lee nose first capability with existing dies and your single stage press./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master

Wink I tried this

I beveled the bottom of the bullets a little using my RCBS trim mate deburing tool.
    The slight bevel guides the bullet into the check so I can push it on without the check cocking to the side.

Anyone see any problems I might have doing it this way????

You'll have to shoot some. It might work fine. Only comment I have is that the beveling method is no where near precise, and might well make unbalanced boolits. I use a punch that is about the same size as the gas check shank ( a little bigger) with a rounded end (just the edges) to flare the gas checks a little to make them go on easily.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Grand Master

Made one

I have shot some. Didn't notice any difference.
    I made a punch something like you have.
    Works good. It's just one more step that needs to be done.
    Beveling the bullet is much faster to do.

The mould I beagled was not mine, so I didn't want to modify it.
    I just got another mould of almost the same design, so I can modify this one.
    Of course I'll cast some bullets first tio see if it even needs to be worked on.

BABore, seal GC in a 2" pipe w/tissue ? I assume you are putting this into a heat sourse or maybe I missed something . If I want to anneal GC's I just drop them into the melt in my lead pot and dip them out when they change color. Works for me.
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo