MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Keyed Slug Load

Boolit Mold

Lee Keyed Slug Load

Hello,
    Has anyone came up with a reduced recoil, accurate load for the 1oz Lee Keyed Slug? OR a reduced recoil, accurate load for any 1oz Slug? I have been looking for some time now with no results. I am looking to reduce the recoil to that of a 1 1/8oz trap load.

Thanks,
    Scout

This may or may not help!
    I use the Lee and Lyman sabot slug with 25gn Vectan A1 powder.
    This is the standard powder in lots of shot carts here in the UK and Europe.
    Its a bit like Unique or Herco.
    In my 26inch Remy 1187 I get 1070 fps. The empties flop out the side of the gun.
    Its a very mild and reliable load. I only shoot paper targets out to 60 metres.
    HTH
    Tony

Scout,
    my load with a Lee one ounce slug for reduced recoil is: AA hull, 20gn Green Dot & Win. pink wad. Certainly milder than any factory slug. Don't know if it would cycle an auto. I use them in my IAC levergun and my U/O.

Regards,
    Kirby.

Boolit Mold
    Hi I just tried out casting the lee 1 oz keyed slug and loaded it into
    1. a winchester value pak skeet shell by removing the 1 & 1/8th, 7 &1/2 birdshot load and slipping in the slug and recrimping, and
    2. I took a spent universal shell (from above) and put 18.2 gr of Promo (red dot) with a claybuster pink-1oz 1100-12 wad and the lee slug

I shot these out of my mossberg 20" 500 (8 shot) and the felt recoil was the same as the skeet value pak loads. I don't think they were very accurate but I have to spend more time with them. The point is when searching for loads the stated ones exclusively recommend slower powders - hs6, blue dot and yet individuals would cite their loads with faster powders. It may be that one can't attain the 1400-1600 fps speeds with fast powders without getting too high in the pressure department but I was happy the fast powder (all I have) is quite tame at the lower speeds. Your mileage may vary.

I have a few of Lee 1 oz. slugs I cast from a friends mold years ago but have not used due to lack of load data. Do any of you have a load for Windjammer wads and Greendot, American Select to 800X? Also, is there any problem shooting such a load from a fixed full choke shotgun? Any help would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by 1874Sharps; 05-07-2009 at 01:03 PM.

Boolit Man
    I load 7/8 oz lee in rem. low brass using 18.5 gr of red dot and a fed 12so wad. The 1oz load is the same, except I use a aa white or clay buster white. this is a low recoil self defense load, that provides decent accuracy and cycles my 1187.

Boolit Mold
    The slug and wad are a tight fit in my bore (no choke). I've read that accuracy is affected anytime the wad petals are torn off going thru the bore. I would want an unchoked bore for slugs as I think it might be dangerous or at least less accurate in a choked bore. I believe I have read of others using a choked bore for slugs so further research is in order.

Boolit Master
    I have several hundred Primed virgin Activ 12 ga hulls, and about 1,000 of the Activ TG-30 wads. The Lee load data shows a load of 40.0 of Accurate #5 with the 1 0z slug and this wad. Does anyone have a similar load with HS-6? I have most of a 4# keg of it. Thanks, GF

When I started loading my own slugs I used a mec spec sheet and started with the load that was the same weight of my slug and tweaked it from there. I am using 7/8 lee keyed slug and 7/8 grey wad in AA hull and 19.2 grs of 700X with a win primer. I am shooting this out of a M-1 Benelli. These are the loads that I run for multi gun And they haven't failed me yet.

good luck
    Daniel

Boolit Master
    Remington STS-gold hulls(just because they are distinctive, I don't want to lob a slug towards the neighbors by accident)

20 or so grains of Solo 1000, or Green dot
    Fed 12S3 wad with a 20 ga cardboard wad in it.
    Lee slug
    whatever primer I happen to have handy

Gives me about 1200 FPS, will hold a paper plate at 50 yards in My Mossberg 590 with a rifled choke tube in it(peep sights on it).

Without the cardboard wad the plastic wad hangs onto the slug for part or all of the flight. I suspect the initial acceleration is too great and this is why Lee recommends slower powders.
    Last edited by richbug; 05-09-2009 at 01:55 PM.

I have tried all of Lee's data for them and found the Blue Dot and Herco loads shoot the best groups with the 1oz slugs in rifled barrels. I dont mess with changing powders because I dont have any way to pressure test the loads and im already getting great accuracy.
    ** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.

Shot 25 in 1/2 hour the other day

I load 26gr of Universal in a Federal hull with fiber base wad with Fed 12S3 wads and one 1/8" cork 20ga wad under the slug. It is super light on recoil, more than accurate to 100 yards, and does not tear the wad which would reduce accuracy to nil. It is the only load that I reload now. I have 100 loaded waiting for the next, oh say 10 deer seasons. Play around with it. I find it super easy to cast and load. Good luck.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot the 1 oz. slug with the Lee data from the mould box. I've tried several loads and the only ones that shot anywhere near the target used Herco and the WAA12 wad, and the ones with AA#5 and the WAA12SL. The Herco loads show some promise in the A5, and the AA#5 loads shot very well in a smoothbore 1100.
    If you want your children to follow in your footsteps, be careful where you walk.
    Beware the man that only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.
    Some things never change; others change more slowly.

i use mostly unique with mine in a smoothbore barrel. i cant remember the grs off the top of my head but it was moving around 1200 FPS

SW

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    I shoot a Saiga 12 Gauge with an 18" tube.

I use Unique, because I want a powder that will be finished with its burn in an 18" barrel: (...and I am standardized on Unique for all my pistol calibers.) I shoot both 00Buck and Slugs.

The buckshot load I have worked up is as follows:

Win AA hull
    24 grains Unique
    CCI 209 primer
    WAA12 wad with petals removed
    Two (2) - .125 Nitro Card wads under pellets
    Nine (9) 00Buck pellets in three layers
    0ne (1) .030 Overshot card
    Eight point fold crimp

....And My Slug Load is:

Win AA hull
    24 grains Unique
    CCI 209 primer
    WAA12 wad with petals removed
    Two (2) - .125 Nitro Card wads under slug
    One "Foster Type Lyman Slug" (modified to 505 grains by altering the mould's base plug)
    Roll Crimp

Both of these loads are "reduced loads" which allow for very fast target reacquisition; ....which makes 2nd and 3rd "follow-up shots" very easy! ........They are also NOT "Max-Energy" hunting loads! If you are looking for a round to humanely dispatch a BIG Whitetail, of a serious Black Bear, .....then you want to look at some of the "Blue Dot" loads intended for that purpose.

....If, on the other hand, you're looking for good "Peasant Season" loads,....then these may serve! ....They still eject smartly from the Saiga, ...and produce velocities in the 1100 to 1200 fps range: ......More than enough for "Sunday-Go-To-Meeting" type of shooting!

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Reduced light load with Lee 1 oz Key Drive Slug
    If you make a few adjustments to this Lee load, it just might be what your looking for. Federal Gold Medal case, Fed 209A primer,Fed12S3 wads, Hodgdon Universal powder, 28.0 gr., Lee 1 oz slug, 1450 fps. Now for the changes. To get a proper crimp when lowering the powder charge, you will need a different wad, its would be Fed 12S0 wad. http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...ed+search.y=12 Now you will need to reduce the powder charge 10% as per Lee instructions. And i see no reason why you can't lower the powder charge more to get the light load you want. As long as the crimp is good, you might be able to reduce the TOTAL powder charge as much as 20%. Just a guess on my part. I picked this powder because it takes up a lot of room in the case and is faster burning then the other loads Lee has listed. Lee Load data is here> PDF file > http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data...uct/SM3529.pdf "USE THIS INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK" "IT HAS NOT BEEN TESTED" good luck.

Lee 12 ga. Key drive slug

12 Ga 1 OZ Lee Key Drive Slug in 2 3/4" Win AA hull
    Data 1999 Each- Case $.070 Slug $.064 Primer $.02438 Powder HS-6 $.0846 Wad $.019 Total for 1 round- $.26198 Or 26 cents. Add the cost of the mould. Plumbers lead was $1lb. Accuracy @ 100yds 7" average. Gun- Mossberg 500 cantilever rifled , scope on 7 power. Lee load data used.Powder HS-6 36gr. Win AA 2 3/4" Win 209 primer. Win. Wad 12f114 No wad pressure when seating. Slug 1 OZ weight 423gr. More load data is available on Lee's website. I had tried other wads/loading, this was the best of 3. One thing i noticed, the reloaded hulls were more accurate after fire formed to the chamber. The average groups would have been better if not for a flyer (not me) ever now and then when the wad would rip. The wad may no longer be available?? [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by 243winxb; 05-17-2009 at 06:41 PM. Reason: add photos

Dangers of Reduced Loads

Its best to always follow a given Recipe/Load Data. When you start playing with the powder charge strange things can happen. If recoil is light, or the report "sounded funny" or for any reason things didnt seem right, ALWAY CHECK THE BARREL BEFORE FIRING ANOTHER SHOT, use a cleaning rod to make sure no wad is stuck in the barrel. Be Safe, good Luck.

Thanks to this forum, my very first experience with casting went really well! It was with the Lee 1 oz slug made from ww.

My first experiments were with 5 slugs of each loading from Lees recommended, downward for a reduced load that still worked well.

I used:
    Win AA
    Win Pink Wad
    HS-6 of 36 grains on down to 26 grains, dropping 2 grains every 5 rounds.
    I didn't have any cards to keep the wad from sticking, so I used bore butter.

Results were quite pleasing.

Recoil on even the heaviest load was lighter than my Olin 00 buck, and less than my Centurion Buck and Ball too.

AS for accuracy, hopefully tomorrow I'll go out again to take pics.

Went out with 32 grains of HS-6.
    Recoil was still perky. Will lighten for more pleasant shooting.
    Here's a recycled target at 30 yards. 15 shots.

Last edited by dogbert41; 08-01-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast