Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: SPG Lube

Boolit Mold

SPG Lube

I have used SPG for black powder cartridge and it worked extremely well. Has anyone used it for pistol or handgun conventional powder loads?

Boolit Buddy

I haven't used it for smokeless handgun loads but, I did use it on some .25 cal rifle loads on top of 10 grs. or Reddot to fireform some brass. It worked fine!
    Just my 2 cents.
    Blkpwdrbuff

Boolit Master

Yep, works great with smokeless...

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    I have used SPG for black powder cartridge and it worked extremely well. Has anyone used it for pistol or handgun conventional powder loads?
    Hi DSW,

I used to use SPG with my smokeless revolver loadings (all with Unique) to great effect: No leading and good accuracy up to 850 FPS.
    I've used it with .45 LC, .44 SPL, .455 Webley, and .38 SPL.
    I stopped using it only because I now make a dead ringer for SPG for only $5 a pound (I'm terminally frugal):

2 parts paraffin Wax
    2 parts Sheep Tallow (Dixie Gun Works)
    1 part Beeswax

Works great in cold to warm environments like here in SW WA... The lube melts about 140 degrees, so it might not be the best thing out in the sun in the desert.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Boolit Master

If you follow Mike Venturino's (a member here) writings in the gun rags, he uses it for handgun and rifle loads with black or smokeless...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Herman View Post
    Hi DSW,

I used to use SPG with my smokeless revolver loadings (all with Unique) to great effect: No leading and good accuracy up to 850 FPS.
    I've used it with .45 LC, .44 SPL, .455 Webley, and .38 SPL.
    I stopped using it only because I now make a dead ringer for SPG for only $5 a pound (I'm terminally frugal):

2 parts paraffin Wax
    2 parts Sheep Tallow (Dixie Gun Works)
    1 part Beeswax

Works great in cold to warm environments like here in SW WA... The lube melts about 140 degrees, so it might not be the best thing out in the sun in the desert.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the info. Does your home made formula look like SPG? At first blush SPG looks as if there may be some graphite or some other additive due to the grey color. I live outside of Phoenix so I may have to take a mini fridge out to the range with me!

Thanks,
    Doug

I use my home brew for BP rifle, cartridge hand gun and muzzle loading revolvers as well as smokeless hand gun rounds. Works fine. I am starting to load .30 rifle ammo and will see how it works there. There are better and much cheaper home brew lubes than SPG.

Boolit Master

All the SPG I have ever seen is yellow, not grey. Like my own mix better. Really like NASA from Bullshop also, much better than SPG through my Star sizer.

Boolit Master
    Springfield care to share your receipe?????Wes
    The problem in America today is, there are to many fools making to many rules that don't apply to themselves. Now just wait until the new pres. takes office and see what happens!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Tom, your 2:2:1 recipe was published in a 1943 American Rifleman. Some say it is supposed to be the SPG formulation and others say it works as good as SPG and ... yes, it works as a lube in both Smokeless and Original Gunpowder. I've tried both your recipe and SPG with both powders and ... didn't seem to find much difference
    Regards
    John

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    All of the SPG that I 've seen and used has a yelloish tint and not grey just as Springfield stated. Where did you see grey SPG DSW? At this time I'm using the NASA blend for BP that BUllshop makes. I do have to add BW for the Louisiana heat.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

I like the Emmerts with BP and smokeless

Beeswax
    Crisco
    Canola Oil
    Lanoline (optional)

In Remembrance
    The only grey (commercial) lube I've seen is Lee Shaver's moly lube. It is almost silver...
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

My mix changes from time to time. I mostly use it in Big Lube(tm) cowboy action bullets, not so much long range. So when I say it "works better" ya hafta remember that some of my criteria for a good lube is something that will flow through a Star relatively quickly, not be too heat sensitive, and ship well. BL bullets hold so much lube that most anything will work decent. As for being a superior long range lube, I don't really get to do much of that, so I can't say. I am finishing up converting my Win. 30-30 to 38-55 so I should be doing more 200 yard shooting than I have been. I can say that after a 6 stage match my pistols and rifles come shiny clean with one pull of the bore snake, and I don't get any leading nor carbon buildup. So for what I do, it works. It is ALMOST as nice to use as Bullshops NASA lube. But the dang guy won't tell me his recipe!

Boolit Buddy
    I have used SPG in 38, 357, 38/40, 44/40, 44 SP, 45 Colt. Works great at normal velocities with smokeless. Very easy to clean gun and brass. Accurate!

Boolit Buddy
    Another thought on SPG - the lubrisizer pressure needs to be increased slowly since the lube is quite soft and can be messy.

Boolit Master

Yes, my lube looks like SPG!

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Hi Tom,

Thanks for the info. Does your home made formula look like SPG? At first blush SPG looks as if there may be some graphite or some other additive due to the grey color. I live outside of Phoenix so I may have to take a mini fridge out to the range with me!

Thanks,
    Doug
    Hi Doug, John Boy, and the rest of of you,

Yes, the lube I make looks yellowish like SPG: It looks and feels like SPG, and seems to act just like it. I haven't bothered to see if they taste the same...
    My lube does have gray spots when run through the Lubrisizer, but I attribute this to minute metal particles picked up from the screw and plunger.
    OK on the 1943 formula! I'll have to look it up... It would be interesting to read the article.
    And Bill: I'm envious of the .56-50! The closest I've come to it so far is to buy a couple of pieces of brass. Sounds like you're having all sorts of fun...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Moderator Emeritus
    I've found SPG to be an OK lube but it would run out in .577" Sniders and 450/577" Martini's.

Lars White Label BP lube worked far better in these calibres at a lot less cost than SPG. My home brew of beeswax, beef talow and lanolin works very well too.

I'm sure that all would work with smokeless up to similar velocity levels.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks