Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 120 grain 380 acp possible?

120 grain 380 acp possible?

I have a mould now for 9mm, was thinking of trying a 120grain boolit with a 380. Or should I try to just bullet size a 358 105grain down to 356?

Boolit Buddy
    I'd like to know also. Same problem here.

I've got a recipe for 115 gr. fmj for 380. I bought them for my 9mm, but haven't use them yet in the 380.
    NRA Life Member

I have loaded 115grain FMJ's for plinking in my .380.

The newer Speer books advise against it.

Boolit Buddy
    It's been a while, but I tried a few loads using 122 grain cast pills, but needless to say this weight is not ideal for the small 380 case. Bullets had to be seated very deeply to feed through the magazine of my Walther. Blowback 380s aren't a lot of fun to shoot anyway, but recoil was especially stiff, and I suspect these loads will accelerate frame battering and wear, especially in the pocket sized guns. These are also velocity limited, say in the neighborhood of 700 fps. This would be a more viable alternative in a larger frame weapon if you can seat the bullets to a longer OAL and still get reliable feeding. I would try the 105 grain boolit, and just buy a mould for a lighter boolit if that doesn't work out, unless you have a locked breech 380 that's more like along the lines of a 9mm in size.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." -Gerald Ford

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." -Thomas Jefferson

In the 49th Lyman Reloading Handbook, there are several loadings for 120 grain cast boolits for the 380 ACP. The Lyman 356242 is the listed casting.

Several Alliant powder listings there. Bullseye, Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique, and Blue Dot are listed. Velocities from 600 fps using minimum load of 1.6 grains Bullseye, to 948 fps using maximum load of 5.3 grains Blue Dot. All pressures listed are less than 16,000 CUP.

Boolit Master

Shot a good bit of 120s out of my KelTec.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy

I used to shoot the RCBS 124 gr. TC bullet in my PPks with a small amount of Red Dot, it was quite accurate and pleasant to shoot. That being said, I'm a little older and a little more cautious than I used to be. I tend to think that in a case that small small amounts of powder and seating depths can change pressures quickly. I think a person would be better served with a lighter bullet.
    Jeff

In Remembrance
    I size my 105SWC down to .356 through the Lee push-through sizer for my .380 loads, and I size it down to .357 through the lubesizer for my 9mm loads. I also have the 102RN mould which throws just a skosh over .356 anyhow.

Boolit Mold
    I'm trying to work up a .380 load using cast lee bullets cast in a lee 90387 6 cavity mold producing a 120 gr truncated .356 bullet. I was thinking on the line of 2.0 grains of 700X. Does anyone else have any load data they could share along this line?

Boolit Master
    I have played with some 120 gr cast boollits out of my 380 over 2 gr of red dot , it's a mild fun shooting load that doesn't throw the brass off the face of the earth .
    But due to the primer situation I have put off bulk loading the 380s .

Boolit Master
    I would look seriously at the Lee 356-95-WF or whatever the correct nose nomenclature is. It is proven and within the usual weight range so would be easier on the firearm if loaded sensibly. There might be a time when you need a precise shot and it is doubtful that the heavy for caliber bullet will provide that. Dwell time in the barrel, and reduced velocity are part of the issue.

Boolit Master

Stick with the 105 if it feeds. You may not need to size it down quite as far as you think.

The typical .380 is a blowback gun, without a delaying lock to act as a speed bump to the slide. Also, the typical blowback .380 was designed around the .32ACP first. Not really a combination that encourages stomping the gas pedal.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

I would size them .357" first and see if that will chamber .
    I load the Lee 105 gr. SWC and the Lee 356-120-TC and run both through a .357" sizing die for use in 9mm Luger loads . They should work just fine in 380 Auto .
    .356" may be too small for a cast boolit . Unless you are powder coating them !

I have loading data for 380 Auto with 124 grain boolits , RCBS # 09-124-CN (truncated cone) and RCBS # 9mm-124-RN , this is from the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual #1 ... if you need some published data to start working from ...
    I see Lyman Cast Bullet #4 also has data and for 120 grain & 105 grain boolits ... plenty of data.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 10-05-2021 at 09:33 AM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I can get 115gr XTPs in .380. Little bulge in the brass at the bullet base but they chamber and fire. If the 120gr cast profile is right you should be able to get it to work in .380.

I've shot lots of 130gr cast in 380 with a little Bullseye.
    You may not need to size them down at all. I shoot 358 dia in about 10 different 380's

Edit: I just realized this is an ancient thread, but info may be of use to someone else.

I totally forgot about the 120TC mold that I modified last winter until I recently read this thread. I thought about trying the 120TC in 380 but i figured it would be better to lighten the boolit so I removed the lube groove and milled .070" from the mold. These weigh 105-106 grains after PC. The bearing surface is the same length as the Lee 102RN which is one of my favorites in 380. Going to test next week.

As for the 120TC, although seated pretty deep @.965", it fits in the 380 case without reaching the web (Federal brass) area so the base doesn't get swaged. I pulled one after seating and verified it was the same diameter (.357") all the way to the base. If anyone tries the 120TC, let us know how it goes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	106tc.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	290076 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TCBoolits.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	290077

Boolit Master
    GONRA wants ya'll to remember in blowback or modified
    blowback actions, bullet MUST leave the barrel or KABOOM!
    Shortest barrel, highest velocity, lightest bullet are the way to go.
    (Minimum barrel residence time.)
    Be careful experimenting with those really heavy bullets fellas!

Boolit Master

I have a accurate 135g RD mold I like allot. I have loaded in 380 & shot well. But WHY!?!?!? Its minuscule powder capacity!!! Dont re create the wheel fellas. Buy trade for proper bullets and live the high life. Lee 356-95 RF is a wonderful bullet & can be found for 40$

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

While realizing that I'm reviving an old thread, I would like to ask a question: Does anyone know of any lighter hollow point bullets (or boolits) that are .355 (or .356 etc). I'd like to find something between 65 and 75 gr for this caliber. When I look at reviews of .380 hollow points, the most consistent thing is inconsistency. I'd like a load that gets a hollow point over 950 fps out of a really short pistol.
    "There is no saint without a past, no sinner without a future."

- Saint Augustine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast